Hardrive Preferences.

Quote (TrackGrrrl @ Mar. 03 2005,22:23)
Funny thing but some Maxtors have a 3 year warranty (mostly disks sold as OEM) and others have a one year (mostly those in retail packaging). I don't know it there is any physical difference in the drives or if there is some other marketing related issue.

Maybe they figure that people who buy computer parts at Staples are more likely to mess them up somehow.

*shrug*

TrackGrrrl

No, grrrl

Alot of companies went from 3 year to 1 year warranties and back. What your seeing in the retail stores is just back stock from the period when 1 year was more common.
The outlets were dealin' with only have current drives, since they move so much volume. They just liquidate the older ones before the retail stores.

jerm

Ok Jerm,

I learned something. At least this means that the drive I just picked up (200gig for $70 after a $30 rebate) is the same quality item. I didn’t notice that it was marked one year until I got it home. Since I haven’t opened it I was considering returning it. Now I will think it over.

AFA Maxtor goes in general, I have had a bunch of them in recent years and the only one that has failed was from a computer that had fallen four feet off a shelf onto the floor while running. TWICE!

Obviously, I am personally satisfied with the Maxtors.

One thing I should note is that lately I do tend to retire drives in the 3-4 year time frame. I used to go 5 years+ but not any more.

Peace

70 bucks does sound like a good price for a 200G in that brand.
But retailers knowing that the 1 yr. warranty is less desireable the price makes sence.
Is that a 8MG buffer on that baby? what’s the avr. search speed? 5600? or 7200?
Alot of people don’t even look at the stats, just go for size.
And noise! I’m learning stuff here too grrrl!

jerm

Hi again Jerm,

It is a 7200 RPM, with 8MB buffer, ATA133 and fluid bearing. I have no use for any drive slower than 7200. There are so many specials out there, a different one every week.

Now if my sound card will just arrive, I can finish building the computer…

Things have changed so much. I can remember when a 5MB drive had a 12" diameter platter…

Peace,
TrackGrrrl

Things have changed so much. I can remember when a 5MB drive had a 12" diameter platter......

IBM system/32 or something? Or was it consumer? Speaking of old computer stuff I have a dec alphaserver from '95 that's the size of a small desk. One 200mhz processor, 3 ram cards which are larger than an atx board each (total of 320MB) and a few scsi drives.. and it's pretty much useless..

Another one I would definitely consider is the Samsung Model SP1614N 160GB 7200RPM. I have used 2 of these in a RAID 1 config for about two years for both video and audio work. They are fast and quiet.

Take a look at http://www.newegg.com/app…&depa=1

Quote (jeremysdemo @ Mar. 03 2005,22:26)
Quote (TrackGrrrl @ Mar. 03 2005,22:23)
Funny thing but some Maxtors have a 3 year warranty (mostly disks sold as OEM) and others have a one year (mostly those in retail packaging). I don't know it there is any physical difference in the drives or if there is some other marketing related issue.

Maybe they figure that people who buy computer parts at Staples are more likely to mess them up somehow.

*shrug*

TrackGrrrl

No, grrrl

Alot of companies went from 3 year to 1 year warranties and back. What your seeing in the retail stores is just back stock from the period when 1 year was more common.
The outlets were dealin' with only have current drives, since they move so much volume. They just liquidate the older ones before the retail stores.

jerm

FWIW, 5 years is standard on Seagate drives. They went to this around the middle of last year, which was really surprising since everyone else was moving in the opposite direction toward 1 & 3 year warranties. Is it the "Fluid Dynamic Bearings" or just marketing? Dunno, but what the heck, it's a chance they're willing to take! :D

Tony