Have I forgotten anything?

I’m setting up a friend’s laptop today to record simple piano vocals.
She needs a free program so I’m going with Audacity for her - simple and free.
Got Lame - asio4all - some plugins from Kjaerhus…

Anything else?

Oh it’s a gateway laptop - one year old - no model info yet.

That sounds like it’s gonna be a great tracking machine…

Don’t forget to take over that Mic preamp and the U-47 you’re not using… AND don’t forget to get called late for supper… :p :laugh:

Bill…

She’s gonna need my little berringer mixer and lots of chords - ugh.

Some headphones?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 09 2009, 12:08 AM)

and lots of chords - ugh.

Here's a couple to get you started:

1st e ||----|----|--3-|----|----|----|-
2nd B ||----|----|----|----|----|----|-
3rd G ||----|----|----|----|----|----|-
4th D ||----|----|----|----|----|----|-
5th A ||----|-1--|----|----|----|----|-
6th E ||----|----|-2--|----|----|----|-

1st e ||----|--3-|----|----|----|----|-
2nd B ||-1--|----|----|----|----|----|-
3rd G ||----|--2-|----|----|----|----|-
4th D ||----|----|----|----|----|----|-
5th A ||-x--|----|----|----|----|----|-
6th E ||-x--|----|----|----|----|----|-

:-))))

G - D - no wait - those are chords, no cords. What was it you called a cord?

Make one little typo and the smartelicks come out. :p

Quote:

Make one little typo and the smartelicks come out.

Cain't read neither... that's D7... :p

*running away* :laugh:

D

PS Mark sez cords are 'leads'. I always thought 'leads' were the parts played by the better guitar player... Now... 'Leeds'... that's another thing entirely. I think that's a city somewhere or other...

I’m outta here and never comin’ back…

Naw… don’t run off Poppa. We WUV U round these here parts. :agree:

D

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 09 2009, 2:14 PM)

PS Mark sez cords are 'leads'. I always thought 'leads' were the parts played by the better guitar player... Now... 'Leeds'... that's another thing entirely. I think that's a city somewhere or other...

You mean Lead Brakes! ???

Lead Brakes? Now we talking cars/trucks? Thems the brakes on the front of the vehicle.
You carry your guitar “leads” in a bag in the back of the vehicle.
Ya plugs them in (lead, cords, cables)when you get to the gig for your lead breaks!

Footnote, can’t believe Poppa missed that D7th, what ya never played Amos Moses?
Leads aren’t always played by the better guitar player, sometimes there ain’t one. Case in point, the band I’m in. there ain’t a better geetar player, there ain’t even a good geetar player.

Gateway Laptop, hmmm, you forgot you’ll be needin a sledgehammer! :laugh:

6:13 saturday morning, I’m down with the flu real bad and posting a pecker head reply on a forum, what’s wrong with this pic?
Somebody get me a doctor!

Quote:

Considering the direction this thread has taken, you should probably specify what kind of doctor you're looking for.
Quote: (kevinmyers @ Jan. 10 2009, 12:36 PM)

Quote:

Considering the direction this thread has taken, you should probably specify what kind of doctor you're looking for.

LOL.

I'd go for Dr Who.
Quote:

I'd go for Dr Who.

Yeah, then we could go back to 1979.

Missing a D7 is nothing… I was working with this same friend of mine - a degree in music seriously - she sends me a chord (not cord or lead) chart with a notation of a solo section of (C#-E#/B-E-A-B-C#) So I write her back that I’m having trouble with the E# - she replies well maybe it’s B/E# - finally I send her a note that last I heard there was no E# 'cause Dflat had taken the job. Her new CD is, guess what - An E# Production. :;):

There’s mass confusion involved with that stuff… There are TONS of times in some our songs that I am not playing the chords as written. I fumble around until I find what sounds right versus what’s on the chart. Goes with the territory…

Another vexing problem is transcribing by ear. My bud transcribes most of the stuff we do at church. The tune we are learning now is in the key of D and during the guitar solo where the rhythm guitar basically just slams over the chord structure, he has a D/F# which to me sounds more like a “passing” chord. I think F#m sounds better there… What to do? Fuss with him about it or just play the F#m as I hear it in MY head?

D

PS One thing you may have forgotten Poppa… throw a super-size bottle of Advil in there for her… :p

I hear ya on charts - as a lead player I play what I hear - especially in passing and split bar stuff that’s written into changes. What bugs me is the rhythm player who chops every chord written on the chart when he could ‘pass’ most of them and actually create some feel instead of accuracy in reading a chart.

It’s like Grady Martin told Henry Mancini when they did a Hollywood goes to Nashville LP. Mancini asked to do section B a couple of times. Grady played something different every time they rehearsed it. Finally Mancini has had enough.
Mancini:"Mr. Martin you’re not playing what’s written. Don’t you know how to read music?"
Grady: “Not enough to hurt my pickin’.” :agree:

LOL…

In the song I mentioned, I tried the straight D and left the F# out of the lower strings. That DEFINITELY didn’t sound right. So since the F# is the III chord and is often played as minor, I banged that one next pass. Sounds good to me but what do I know?

D

PS As another gripe… why can’t the guy who plays 99% of the leads in our band play rhythm guitar? WHY? He’s all over the dang place! Drives me nuts…

(I think I’ll just answer the original question, unqualified.)

Yes.