He Thought He Felt Something

New (old) song…

I’ve got a new song published. To listen, go to Click on He Thought He Felt Something.

I wrote the music to this song back in the early 70’s but just got around to recording it a couple of years ago (somehow it got lost in the vault). I recently added drum loops by Mick Fleetwood which like all the other songs I’ve emailed you about, gave the song what it was lacking.

The chord progressions in this song, while relatively simple, are some of most interesting I’ve ever written.

Specs: this song was recorded with nTrack 3.3, Echo Audio Layla3G audio interface, my custom-built DAW, Rode NT1000 and lots of effects. Also, the drums are Mick Fleetwood drum loops.

I hope you like it!

Thanks.

Another great tune Mr. Soul, really like your stuff especially your guitar playing. Really like the chorus in that song it reminded me of America a little bit. The chord progression is interesting and is one you could repeat and get a very dark song.

Thanks for the + feedback - I really appreciate it! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten - feedback.

My guitar playing is actually quite simple - it’s the tone that I go for. Actually, my lead break is a little sloopy at 1 or 2 points but I liked the overall feel & didn’t want to overtrack it to death.

Actually the verse & chorus chords were originally separate thoughts which I put together when I reserrected the song. The chorus has those Maj7 chords which is probably what reminds you of America.

Thanks again!

Actually, what reminded me of America was the phrase “golden hair” in the chorus (re: sister golden hair surprise). I like being reminded of America. I, too, enjoy the different feel that this chord pattern renders. I like the sound of the keys, but it seems to me like they should be counter-melodic during the verses instead of matching the guitar. Wait, let me listen again, to make sure…no, you had it right. Sounds better the way it is. I like that vibratoed guitar that i can pick out in places here and there: quite tactful. The song in general has a nice, bright overall tone to the sound. Sounds good!
jdet

jdet - thanks! The vibrato guitar is my '62 Fender Vibrolux. The tremolo on those old amps used a different circuit than later Fender amps did, and it actually the preferred vibrato (so I’m told).

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 23 2006,12:52)
My guitar playing is actually quite simple - it's the tone that I go for.

That's what I like about your playing the tone and subtle tempo changes. That type of accenting can make simple G C changes sound interesting.

The clarity of your tunes is also impressive, especially the overall mastering. What do you use for plugins?

Stu - thanks again. I do a lot of cross picking with my pick on my electric guitar. It comes from years of playing the acoustic.

<!–QuoteBegin>

What do you use for plugins?

I use all most exclusively the plugins by PSP Audioware. I use alot of compression & EQ while I mix. I’m no studio engineer but these plugins help alot. Plus, I do all my work in 96/24 now & I think it makes a difference.

Another winner Mike. You play my favorite genre well!

What, where, how…do you use the drum loops you mentioned?

KF

Well Mike if KF likes it I don’t like it anymore. :p

And the drums are definitely coup du grace.

Hey Mike,

I told you I learned the trick to get a conservative to change his mind.

KF

:p

I actually thought is was honorable of Stu to praise my song when he & I differ on the political spectrum. It shows that music can transcend politics.

<!–QuoteBegin>

What, where, how…do you use the drum loops you mentioned?

Yes - I use the Mick Fleetwood drum loops on this song & on a bunch of others. I originally recorded the songs with a drum machine but I went back & replaced that drum machine with a drum track created using the loops.

I did “Sweet Spot” (and others) the same way.

Yes music does transcend the political spectrum.

One thing that amazes me is how divided Americans seem be over political differences. It seems to me people really hold grudges. Is your country really that divided or is it just because people who are musical just tend to be more passionate?

Anyway how do you create your loops Mike what software?

Quote (StuH @ July 24 2006,07:18)
Yes music does transcend the political spectrum.

One thing that amazes me is how divided Americans seem be over political differences. It seems to me people really hold grudges. Is your country really that divided or is it just because people who are musical just tend to be more passionate?

As I remember, the Colonists had a Revolution over political differences.

Don't take things too hard.........! Most of the time, hearing me say what I've written would take on an entirely different meaning.

Take this question over to the off topic so everyone can battle it out!

It's 108 degrees at 9:30 in the evening here. A lightning storm is closing in and if he temp drops it'll only go down to 100 or so. It's frickin hot and humid. I've got to shut down the computers now.

KingFish

<!–QuoteBegin>

It seems to me people really hold grudges. Is your country really that divided or is it just because people who are musical just tend to be more passionate?

Both. The US is really divided & really partisan. People on both sides hate the opponent. Democrat’s hate the Republican President & Republicans hated Bill Clinton. It may have always been this way & I didn’t realize it, but I think it’s gotten worse over the last 20 years. There’s been a concerted effort by the right to attack liberals (Democrats) and the press for being too liberal (something I don’t think it really is). It’s created poison here. Politics has now become a science of swaying a smaller & smaller number of voters to one side or the other.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I don’t create loops. I buy my drum loops & I record my songs with my own hands. Old fashioned I know but it’s the way I do it.

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 25 2006,11:33)
I buy my drum loops & I record my songs with my own hands. Old fashioned I know but it’s the way I do it.

I guess i meant how do you trigger them with nTrack piano roll editor or a rewire/vst step sequencer or a midi drum kit? What ya mean old fashioned.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I guess i meant how do you trigger them with nTrack piano roll editor or a rewire/vst step sequencer or a midi drum kit?

Gotcha. I build an entire drum track using loops and then I export it to a .wav file. I then sync that .wav file to my audio and perform a mix down. I’m sure that there are other ways to do it. Does that answer your question?

<!–QuoteBegin>
What ya mean old fashioned.

I mean that I don’t create songs using loops, i.e., I record each track by hand (except the drums).
Quote (Mr Soul @ July 25 2006,15:10)
Does that answer your question?

Yes tyvm.

I really like this song - the guitar chord structure is interesting, and at first I wasn’t sure about the vocals but after a second listen it was a perfect fit - the drums sound GREAT for being programmed. I have no suggestions for changes though. I’ll get back to you later - going to check out your other tunes.

Dan

Dan - thanks for the comments.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I really like this song - the guitar chord structure is interesting

Most of this chord progressions were written in the early 70’s (back when I played mostly acoustic guitar). Luckily, I recorded them on some crappy cassettes. I had hours of these recordings. When I was going through the tapes, I heard this progression & was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t even remember how to play the progressions so I have to re-learn them.

<!–QuoteBegin>
and at first I wasn’t sure about the vocals but after a second listen it was a perfect fit

I added the verses more recently. The chorus was composed of a different progression.

<!–QuoteBegin>
the drums sound GREAT for being programmed.

That’s because they are real drums played by a real person and recorded well.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I’ll get back to you later - going to check out your other tunes.

Thank you. I appreciate all comments - positive or negative.