Headphone/Speaker set up

Hello.
I’m using a Sound Blaster Live card with n-track. The microphone input is connected to my mixing board and my output is connected to my speakers for playback, etc. Is there something I can buy so that I can switch from the speakers to a set of headphones and not have to dive under my desk everytime I want to do it?
Help appreciated in advance.

A stereo switchbox maybe ?

You can make one up - stereo minijack into stereo cable - then into a two pole two way switch and into two female output mini jacks - speakers into the one, earphones into the other one.

Another option could be to do some routing on your mixer (using something like ‘two track return’ or something like that) - What type of mixer do you have ?

W.

The Soundblaster Live have two speaker jacks, one for front and one for rear. I plug speakers in the rear and headphones in the front, then setup the live for 4 speaker setup. then I turn down the volume on the speakers when I don’t want them.

Paul

It’s a Mackie mixing board.
The stereo switch box sounds like what I’m looking for. Who makes such a thing?
I’ll also check out the front and rear option as well.

Why not route the output of your soundcard into your mixer?

The you can connect both your speakers and headphones to the mixer.

Rich

Quote (RichLum @ Aug. 30 2005,23:36)
Why not route the output of your soundcard into your mixer?

The you can connect both your speakers and headphones to the mixer.

Rich

That will work if the mixer has 'n 2-track return that can be seperated from the main mix. If it loops it back into the mix again it will be a problem.

I take it Jnortillo gets signal into his PC not via inserts but via mix output.

But two track return (seperated) will give you the option of using the mixer's own headphone amp, and the outputs to the speakers (they are powered, right ?) at the same time.
That's how I run mine.

HtH.

Wihan

PS Jnortillo, what model Mackie ? We can check specs and give advice on the best sollution.