headphones

any recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pair of cans that they have used and concider ‘trusty’? Cheers.

I wuvs my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro’s… about a hunnert bux online.

There are others though;

I REALLY like my dad’s AKG K240DF’s… awesome cans… Audio-Technica makes a nice set or three. I prefer circumaural cans myself to keep down bleed when tracking. Nothing like sitting there listening to your masterpiece wondering where the singing mice are coming from… :laugh:

D

Another vote for the K240s. Love mine for critical listening.

I like to monitor on many a device - I don’t trust ‘monitors’. But, sadly’ I’ve damaged the left driver on my 30yr old pair of Sony headphones. Big funkers. The ones I fall back on:-(

^that said! I’m blown away buy this pair of
£30 Creative plug-ins:-)

Well, for the $$, I really like my Sennheiser HD 202’s…

cliff

I don’t think you can use headphones and hear kick drums. For me, although it’s only 20-50hz, I don’t see how one could do a final mix with just headphones. Could be my ears. Could be my crappy headphones.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 24 2009, 8:24 AM)

I don't think you can use headphones and hear kick drums. For me, although it's only 20-50hz, I don't see how one could do a final mix with just headphones. Could be my ears. Could be my crappy headphones.

I can hear the kick wonderfully on me Senny's. However, it is truly tricky to mix on cans. Besides the often hyped frequency response, you have bone conduction from the transducers being clamped onto your noggin'. That will play all kinds of havoc on getting your lower frequencies mixed properly. Also, you have the really well defined stereo spread to deal with in cans. You can dial in the pans the way you think you want it in the cans and then find that spread does not translate to speakers very well.

I'm often forced to mix on cans but do my final tweaking when I can fire up the nearfields and move some air. That last step takes the most time and concentration... at least for me.

D

A lot of time headphones will accentuate the lows – too much bass. Regardless, the sound is usually not accurate when compared to speakers. That said, mix for the target audience, but listen on EVERYTHING. Try to get it acceptable one everything. You can’t get it perfect on everything…anything. Many folks lever listen on anything except earbuds. Many of those sound great. The general rule is that if it sounds good on speakers it will sound better in headphones. Keep in mind that it will probably sound worse on speakers than it does in most relatively good headphones.

Got a pair of AKGs myself. Model number 271 I think, the closed version of the 240s.I bought a closed pair to keep out background noise and help reduce bleed during vocal recordings.
However, I usually use some big protective earmuffs with a the speakers from a pair of cheap walkman-style headphones stuck into them when I want to record vocals. Those give quite good protection from noise bleeding into the recording. I think the sound is good enough for my needs.

The 271 ought to be a decent pair of headphones, they are AKGs after all. My sound card is OK, too. But I know that mixing on that set-up alone is not suffucient, so I also play back the recording on my hifi-system. But as it turns out that is not enough, either. One somebody elses home stereo the recording will still sound flawed.
I had the opportunity to showcase some of my recordingds a band-evening, playing it back through the PA. Adjusting the EQ didn’t help, all that was audible was a mushy droning bass sound. That was some time back, but the memory still feels unpleasant:-(

So I’d go for speakers if you are mixing and not just composing. I’ve aquired a pair of Genelec S30 monitor speakers, now. They are old and mismatched, but I’m gonna have them fixed up good and proper:-)

…Well, I guess it depends on the material also, if the mix is simple and straightforward a pair of good headphones might just be enough, as a starting point. Acoustic stuff and whatnot. The AKG 240’s are reasonably priced and might sound more pleasant and provide a more airy stereo image than the 271’s. I think 240s are quite common, too. Of course, there are fancier models out there, you get what you pay for as allways.

I.T.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 24 2009, 8:24 AM)

I don't think you can use headphones and hear kick drums. For me, although it's only 20-50hz, I don't see how one could do a final mix with just headphones. Could be my ears. Could be my crappy headphones.

One of the few times I reach for an RTA... and then even that can be misleading on cans.

What are you listening to in the 20-50hz range?! I generally put a high pass at like 40hz. Nothing but crud down there.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Feb. 24 2009, 5:02 PM)

Do you think a good mix might require a dose of crud ????
sometimes

I don't know how he could do it..
But..
Leonard would create some great mixes with my pair of 240's..

I never had the heart to tell him, though..
Now I wish I did..
BUT..
It's too late..

Bill..

p.s.
I didn't know how to put your quote in the reply..
Quote:

What are you listening to in the 20-50hz range?!

The LFE seems to really enhance this region. But it is strictly for listening.

I’ve tried using a filter in the master channel to cut out stuff that does not play back in my set-up. My thinking there was that this would move the actual sound closer to what I’m hearing. Anything under 30HZ is junk anyway for most purposes.
But alas, that did not not seem to work. Perhaps sample resolution (44.1kHz 16 bit et.c) has something to do with the how the low end is handled, too?

I.T.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 24 2009, 8:28 PM)

Quote:

You sure you don't have a DC offset problem? Really, nothing but crud down there that steals your band width... Of course, that graph doesn't tell us the lowest value on the Y axis... so is that 0 hz or 50hz or what?

It show A1 fundamental @58hz. It also shows a lot of energy in the low band. Some folks make their own kicks with a synth and start with fundamentals as low as 30hz - like for club music and such. I’m just saying you need something more hardy than headphones to be able to handle and hear correctly the energy in the low band. I guess there are phones that can do that. But I don’t have a pair. It’s the difference between hearing a click for a kick drum, and hearing a cannon. (for me)
But to each his own. Right?

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Feb. 25 2009, 9:11 AM)

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 24 2009, 8:28 PM)

Quote:

You sure you don't have a DC offset problem? Really, nothing but crud down there that steals your band width... Of course, that graph doesn't tell us the lowest value on the Y axis... so is that 0 hz or 50hz or what?

The cursor is at the left-most edge of the chart. 43.6 hz @ -18dB. So that's about right... a high-pass at 40 hz would let it slide through.

I know the clubbers like like that "sub-sonic" mush but I can't stand it myself. A nice, well rounded kick bottoming at about 50 hz is it for me... but to each his/her own.

D

PS I have Adobe Audition 7o'11. Adobe bought CEP a few years ago. Neat proggie with a lot of useful widgets IMO.

As usual - I bow to the more experienced.
Bubba is probably right-on with the 40hz high pass. I think I have a problem with my listening tastes vs. the requirements for mixing several tracks together. My sound system is not a mixing system. I have an LFE that gets sent all the low stuff - so when I do set some levels, they might sound OK - but on any other system would be el-stinko. I guess I’ll deal with the art after I get the mechanics down a little better.
And I am going to look seriously at getting some premium headphones.

There’s more likely a chance that the lows we all love aren’t actually as low frequency as we might think. :)

Hi phoo:

That’s quite a concept…
Whatever that area of the spectrum is…
How do you imagine that these LoWs are manufactured ????
AND All…
and what tracks of the music we listen contribute to this bottom-end…

I say it that way cause we don’t all listen to the same flavor of music…
However, the bottom end of all this music has similar bottom-end…

Could it be in the drum tracks ?
OR something that is in a track by itself ?
or an effect ?

Bill…