Heil Hitler?

Quote (TrackGrrrl @ June 15 2005,19:30)
I don’t get why everyone is with the German accent thing. There are plenty of other nationalities that have turned out psycho-facist murderers. (and yes the German accent thing does get to me personally and I have had to try to look past that prejudice when I went to Germany - though at this point I have little desire to ever return).

Besides making a big joke out of it all really does piss on the ashes of my family and not just on some crappy cardboard breakfast cereal (that is not soylent green AFAIK)

With mixed feelings as always.

Peace,
TrackGrrrl

Did you happen to see the “Producers??” The ability to make light of such a horrific monster has historically been a coping mechanism for many, many people. It also helps give us a little perspective on recognizing when other leaders might be dangerous.

As far as the accent, how many times do we see and hear Bush being mocked for his Texas drawl?? The accent is important here because a suggestion was made that the Bush picture looked like Hitler (see the thread title). What makes that photo ineffective is the inability to complete the impression. The Texas drawl is so strongly associated with Bush that it’s almost impossible to imagine Bush speaking like Hitler. In contrast, Howard Dean has the reputation of a screaming lunatic (like Hitler). The fact that Hitler spoke German (even though he was Austrian) means that for the illusion to be complete, one would imagine Dean speaking like Hitler (in German). In this case, the comparison is much more credible.

Re: the “Dean scream” - you recording guys ought to know better - there was a limiter on his voice, there was a lot of background noise, he was talking with people who had worked very hard for him, and he yelled the way a coach would yell to help get them back in the game. In that context what do you suppose the audio feed would sound like, and how would it compare with what it sounded like in the room itself? C’mon, you guys know more about sound reinforcement than that. The idea that it was at all inappropriate is stupid. The networks ran with it because it was entertaining (right wing bias! Kidding: pro profit bias is more like it) and now conservatives are using it to their advantage, trying to depict Dean as a nutcase.

Did you guys hear the song that James Lileks did with loops of music & Dean’s I’ve got a scream speech? It was a HOOT!!! I’ll try to put a copy out on my soundclick.com account

Drudge Report made reference to this picture (in their biased approach to news reporting), so I decided to put it here for fun.

I don’t think Bush or Dean or anyone in office in the US is like Hilter. Having said that, I didn’t think Bush’s off hand comment about being a dictator was particularly funny:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don’t agree with each other, but that’s OK. If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I’m the dictator.

- G. W. Bush

When he jokes about stuff like this I do believe that he’s really serious underneath.

Managing my people would be heck of alot easier if I was a dictator too. I like that idea

Ahhh but you can be a dictator in a private company.

not if you want to get anything done and have good people.

there is the rub

Private companies, Government, what’s the difference? They are still people. I manage 14 people. I like for them to KNOW that I work WITH them. I NEVER tell people “Hey so and so works for ME.” A good manager does not take a dictatorial approach. There’s a good book on stewardship that should be REQUIRED reading for anyone who’s job is managing people whether it be in private industry or government. Good ol’ horse sense and common courtesy will get you a looonnnggg way.

Here is a link… Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest

TG

precisely. If you treated employees that way…you wouldn’t be long for management

Quote (TomS @ June 16 2005,10:48)
Re: the “Dean scream” - you recording guys ought to know better - there was a limiter on his voice, there was a lot of background noise, he was talking with people who had worked very hard for him, and he yelled the way a coach would yell to help get them back in the game. In that context what do you suppose the audio feed would sound like, and how would it compare with what it sounded like in the room itself? C’mon, you guys know more about sound reinforcement than that. The idea that it was at all inappropriate is stupid. The networks ran with it because it was entertaining (right wing bias! Kidding: pro profit bias is more like it) and now conservatives are using it to their advantage, trying to depict Dean as a nutcase.

You bring up an interesting thought about the limiter. I don’t know whether I’ve heard the “Dean Scream” in its unaltered context. You mentioned the networks running with it, but weren’t they becoming enamored with John Kerry by that time?? I’m not remembering that much actual play from the MSM, although commentators such as Sean Hannity were definitely using the scream to hysterical extremes.

Tom - I had heard another conspiracy theory. It was shortly after Dean said he would regulate the media (or something like that) that the media started attacking him.

Yes, I agree, they were more enamoured of Kerry by then. Dean’s loss is easy to explain - the polls and the fund raising numbers reflected a bias toward more active liberals, so Dean never really had the support it ws thought he had.

I dunno, Soul, that really sounds like a far out conspiracy theory…

Yee have little faith in Mr Soul of Toker:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I dunno, Soul, that really sounds like a far out conspiracy theory…

It was discussed on Air America & it sounded plausible to me.

Here are two articles that cover it alittle bit, the second one in more detail:

The Assassination of Howard Dean.

Why the media turned on Gov. Dean.

<!–QuoteBegin>
What happened in the campaign that inspired the media to turn on Dean and throw their support to uninspiring Kerry? A clue may be found in a story published in the Washington Post on November 19, 2003. The Post reported: "In an interview Monday night [ll/17/03], Dean unveiled his idea to ‘re-regulate’ utilities, large media companies and businesses offering employee stock options. He also favors broad protections for workers including the right to unionize."

Also on November 19, the Associated Press reported, “Dean, the former Vermont governor, said Tuesday that if elected president, he would move to re-regulate business sectiors such as utilities and media companies to restore faith after corporate scandals such as Enron and WorldCom.”

Dean’s idea of re-regulating two out-of-control business sectors produced criticism from some of his competitors and surely struck a raw nerve within monopolistic utilities and mega-media companies. I believe Dean’s progressive attack on monopolies helps explain why the corporate media started piling on Dean, portraying him with the pejorative term of the angry candidate…

you decry world net daily as being unreliable because of their political leaning, yet you offer us something from air america as being “plausible”?..

you amuse me :)

isaac

that’s why you can never get too wound up about Mike…he throws a gem like this in there every once in awhile. Air America! BAH!!! :)

Again, you see a Democrat who bashes Bush for his "bigger government yet HE wanted to re-regulate everything, thus growing government. I think they are all on the same side myslef. The top Dems and top Repubs probably meet together once a day to see what “fun” they stir up out of us poor serfs. B@s^@ds…

There you go Mike. THE grand conspiracy. There is no two party system. They’re just toying with us! :D

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

you decry world net daily as being unreliable because of their political leaning, yet you offer us something from air america as being “plausible”?..

It said it seemed plausible and I didn’t follow it up, until today. I cited some other reports. Did you look at them?

What’s wrong with Air America? Are you speaking from first-hand knowledge or are you just spinning?

air america/limbaugh/hannity/et al… they’re all the same useless clowns… they do/want nothing more than to lead you to the trough… are you hungry mike?.. no i didn’t look at the reports because i simply don’t care about air america’s or anyone else’s conspiracy theories - well, unless they amuse me… and yes, i have heard air america, they are no different from any right wingers that scream on the air… but sadly, it’s still more entertaining that most of the fm stations… here in atlanta, we lost a great nighttime show on 750 AM… royal marshall was great… i’m sure there are hundreds like him at other stations that aren’t syndicated…

if you want to be really entertained, i strongly suggest that you listen to the phil hendrie show… :)… he is a great talent…

isaac

First of all, I said it was a conspiracy theory, not news. You present stuff from WorldDailyNet as news. I identify what I spew.

<!–QuoteBegin>

no i didn’t look at the reports because i simply don’t care about air america’s or anyone else’s conspiracy theories

Aside from conspiracy theories (I use that term very loosely in this example), it is curious how Dean fell from grace so quickly. Now if I were ksdb, I’d say it’s because the media propted Dean up when he in reality had no big following. That’s certainly plausible (I use that term again). You could also say that the media/political machines decided Dean was a threat & went after him (which is why the CT I represented was talking about).

Okay, you can potentially compare Bush to Hitler in invading countries for no good reason, using Mein Kampf style political rhetoric, etc. but come on, National Enquirer style pictures… “Is Brittany on crack????” head lines of a picture of said celebrity after being hit in the head with a frying pan just ain’t fair. I am no Bush fan, but at least fight fair. You give someone who might have valid criticism a bad name by association.

OH MY GOD DEAN FAVORS A RIGHT TO UNIONIZE! CALL OUT THE PINKERTONS! Jeepers, I thought I had the right, shows you how screwed up the media is. :)