hello. i'm new

new user looking for guidance

hello world

i have been an owner of n track studio for about 6 months now. This is my first stab at recording music, i have been amazed at just how technichal but rewarding this can be!

i av recorded these mp3s over the last few months, check em out and give us some pointers, please.

alfie

http://birminghamusic.com/artistd…6400011

cheers
:p

Eyup!

Hi Alfie, welcome to the forum, even if you are in Brum (kidding :D )
I followed your link but, although your music is listed, there doesn’t seem to be a way to play it.
Nowt to click!

Steve

Greetings Alfie!
(I had no problem playing the tunes, Steve, not sure what’s up) Pretty good tunes and nice clean and recordings!

I don’t mean to beat you up, but you did ask for help so here goes. There were a couple of things that prompt me to ask if you mixed these in headphones: The low end is pretty heavy on a couple of tracks (neighbors-gonna-stomp-on-my-ceiling-if-I-don’t-shut-it-off-right-now kinda heavy on Not the Path); center-channel sounds are a bit too loud on some tracks. These are both common symptoms of mixing in headphones (cans).

Re my heavy bass comment, I took the liberty of pulling Not the Path into Soundforge, running a spectrum analysis and comparing it to two other tunes, Wake Me Up Inside by Evanescence and Bat Country by Avenged Sevenfold (just because that’s what I’ve been listening to this week). Not the Path is the one on top, Evanescence in the middle, Avenged on the bottom (whether or not you like these bands/songs is irrelevant, BTW. You will find surprisingly similar curves on almost all commercial music):

Two things jump out at me here. First, the difference in level between the low- abd high ends is much more exaggerated on your tune than the other two. While the other two do have distinct humps centered at around 70Hz, the level of the higher frequencies, say about 2.5kHz, is much closer to the level of the bass. It’s hard to read the scale, but it’s a difference of about 13-18db. Your tune has a difference of 25dB, low to high.

The other thing I notice it that your tune has a distinct “scoop” centered at about 800Hz. Not only does this contribute to a “hollow” sound, it represents sonic space that can be utilised without making the mix sound muddy. If you EQ the vocals, for example, to take advantage of this by boosting them in roughly the same frequency range you’ll find you can actually bring their volume down and they will still be distinct without overwhealming the mix; and in fact it will make the mix in general sound more full.

So there’s two things you can do. You could remix the entire tune. That would get you the best result. Alternatively, you could still gain a lot by applying a master EQ to the mix you’ve got - bring down the bass, bring up the mids. While the Evanescence and Avenged tunes’ curves differ slightly, the closer you can get your mix to matching their general shape, the more professional your mix will sound. I also recommend applying a compressor or brickwall limiter to the mix to bring up the total volume. My favorite mastering tool is a 5-band multiband compressor, which allows a great deal of tone-shaping control and prevents clipping.

Again, I don’t mean to beat you up here and I hpe my critique doesn’t seem harsh. I’m just trying to help!

hi

thankyou for that fine analysis, you have given a masterclass in eq. lol. I can confirm that i did mix these whilst wearing headphones as my neighbours are not the most forgiving type during the early hours. As i mentioned earlier i have only been recording tunes for the last 6 months and still trying to get to grips with all of the limiters and compressor thingys. I will try to digest your post and try to implement the points you raised.

Cheers

alfie :)

Yeah, I think our neighbors are related! :D
I wind up having to do everything in cans until the final mix, which is okay as long as I’m doing instrumentals with my Pod, but vocals are a problem. Come to think of it, I haven’t fired up the digeridoo since I’ve been in this new(ish) place - that would surely get me evicted.