HELP! tech stuff!

Confused with delays!

Right, basically…

I record the guitar track, then the vocals, a few tracks later and I find that when I record a harmony I go to the part of the track I wanna sing over, press record and sing along in time.
On playing the track back however, the harmony will kick in to late and always be off beat, as if I’d moved it!

Id there a button I’m pressing by accident? Dislodging the new tracks from their place? Any ideas?

Thanx Ange x

Those sync problems can be annoying. There’s a whole bunch of things to try. I can’t remember them all but I’ll give you what I can remember…

1. In Preferences, on the Options tab, untick “Use System timer” for both Recording and playback. This will force n-track to use the Wav timer which often results in better sync.

2. Try setting the program’s priority (still on the Options tab) to “high”.

3. Turn off effects when recording. See if the problem goes away.

4. Something about the “keep devices open” setting. Can’t remember what it’s supposed to be set to though.

5. If you are using a Creative SB live! card (or derivative), setting the recording to 48kHz can help.

What have I missed?

Quote:

What have I missed?

Try lower buffering settings? This should only apply if you are using FX on tracks playing while you are recording or you are using an effect ON the track you are recording.

This just reminded me of a feature request. PDC has been broken in n-Track forever. Maybe Flav will get it right this time around. :agree:

D

All of this will depend on many veribles, and there is no absolute answer for everyone.
I agree with Mark A on everything except setting the program piority to High. I have found that can be a problem - I think because of the excellent advise to use the sound cards clock instead of the system timer. You will have to experiment on your particular computer to get the best results.
You did not gie use much information about your computer, it’s operating system or sound card. All are important.
You are dealing with Latancy - Lower buffer setings in Ntrack can help.
Selecting the proper format for recording can make a difference:
Preferrence> Audio. Not all sound cards have all of these choices.
ASIO - Fastest, but a bit more complecated to set up.
WDM - Easiest to get a good setting and usually fast enough to do what you want.
MME - oldest, slowest but works with most any card.
Remember you are recording directly to the hard drive, os a fast hard drive that is not fragmented can make a difference.
Do a search on the interent and read some aritcals about setting up a computer for recording. Be certain to find articals that are recent and pertain to your operating system.
I found this site helpful, perhaps you will too:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/troubleshooting_audio_cards.htm

Check the current song speed to make sure you haven’t accidentally changed it while clicking around near the timeline. The current song speed setting is just to the left of the playback speed slider which is on the right top of the screen, just above the timeline. Current song speed should remain at 1X.

There is also some good, if general, information at www.audiominds.com

I just live with this.

Once recorded I just zoom in and place the track where it fits with drag and drop…Only takes a minute, but I literally do it with every single track.

Well don’t just live with this. Soundcard?

Stock soundcards in puters aren’t designed for audio multi-tracking. Some can’t open the playback and record at the same instance, thus the offset in tracks.
I had a stock Realtek card that the only way to get it to line up tracks was the “Keep Audio Devices Open” check box un checked. Audio devices, advanced tab.

Yaz :cool:

thanks, trying a new sound card today x

i’ll keep you updated x

What operating system are you using Vista or XP. I had same problem with vista but older ntrack. There is a latency reading display somewhere showing what the latency value is.

Quote:

This just reminded me of a feature request. PDC has been broken in n-Track forever.

Could you elaborate? I've never had a problem with PDC in n-Track that I know of. Is PDC better implemented in Reaper?

I've had this delayed track phenomenon too. It seems to happen when I've got over about 20 tracks and it's inconsistent. Sometimes the new overdub track is perfectly in synch and sometimes it's delayed a little. I never record with any effects running and I never use effects while I'm recording a track.

I just built a new computer - an AMD 6400 dual core with XP. I run 7200 RPM hard drives and I have a Delta 1010 soundcard. I use the WDM drivers. This phenomenon happened with my old computer as well (AMD Athlon 2200). I believe I've done everything listed above and I still get the problem. I was hoping that the new computer would make a difference but it didn't. In fact I think it's worse but I also upgraded to the newest build of version 5 which possibly could have something to do with it.

This is very frustrating and appears to be a bug but the odd thing is that I can't find a consistent pattern for it happening. I'll record three or four tracks that are fine and then one will be delayed.
Quote: (ewingengr @ Apr. 30 2008, 9:13 AM)

What operating system are you using Vista or XP. I had same problem with vista but older ntrack. There is a latency reading display somewhere showing what the latency value is.

on XP but changing to Vista as of tonight, sew soundcard...new computer :) should solve the problem, here's hoping!
Ange x
Quote:

changing to Vista as of tonight, sew soundcard...new computer :) should solve the problem, here's hoping!
Ange x

Lord - we humbly come to you in Jesus' name............................

Amen

:laugh:
Quote: (8th_note @ Apr. 30 2008, 1:28 PM)

Quote:

This just reminded me of a feature request. PDC has been broken in n-Track forever.

Could you elaborate? I've never had a problem with PDC in n-Track that I know of. Is PDC better implemented in Reaper?

I've had this delayed track phenomenon too. It seems to happen when I've got over about 20 tracks and it's inconsistent. Sometimes the new overdub track is perfectly in synch and sometimes it's delayed a little. I never record with any effects running and I never use effects while I'm recording a track.

I just built a new computer - an AMD 6400 dual core with XP. I run 7200 RPM hard drives and I have a Delta 1010 soundcard. I use the WDM drivers. This phenomenon happened with my old computer as well (AMD Athlon 2200). I believe I've done everything listed above and I still get the problem. I was hoping that the new computer would make a difference but it didn't. In fact I think it's worse but I also upgraded to the newest build of version 5 which possibly could have something to do with it.

This is very frustrating and appears to be a bug but the odd thing is that I can't find a consistent pattern for it happening. I'll record three or four tracks that are fine and then one will be delayed.

If you look at one of my V6 feature request posts, I asked for sample accurate renders/freezes etc. Try it sometime. Freeze a track a time or two and/or render it to a stem. Compare the resulting files and see how the lengths are different.

Enough people tested and fussed at the Reaper guys until they got it right. You now get sample accurate renders out of it.

PDC works in all cases where possible in Reaper. Past experience with n-Track revealed the same things you mentioned. Sometimes it good, sometimes it not with no apparent method to the madness.

I think (and hope) Flavio will get it sussed out. I am amazed at what these guys can do. If you stop and think about all the "stuff" that goes on in a program when you are recording a track or tracks while playing back others sometimes with FX on them, sometimes using virtual instruments etc, etc... To me it is an absolute miracle!

D
Quote: (ange @ Apr. 30 2008, 1:34 PM)

Quote: (ewingengr @ Apr. 30 2008, 9:13 AM)

What operating system are you using Vista or XP.
I had same problem with vista but older ntrack.
There is a latency reading display somewhere showing what the latency value is.

on XP but changing to Vista as of tonight, sew soundcard...new computer :) should solve the problem, here's hoping!
Ange x

Oh my... good luck dear... you're gonna need it.

My first experince with Vista was NOT a pleasant one.

http://ntrack.com/cgi-bin/ikonforum/index.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=7282

D
Quote:

Re: Join "The He-man Vista Haters Club" here

bit premature isn't it?! hehe

luckily for me, Rob (partner) is a programmer and used to fix computers so i am ok (That's as long as he has messenger on, tinternet's normally the only way i can get hold of him these days, but then why change the habit of a lifetime, we did meet on match.com! :p )

your prayers and well wishes gratefully received tho

Ange x
Quote:

I think (and hope) Flavio will get it sussed out. I am amazed at what these guys can do. If you stop and think about all the "stuff" that goes on in a program when you are recording a track or tracks while playing back others sometimes with FX on them, sometimes using virtual instruments etc, etc... To me it is an absolute miracle!

Makes ya wonder how nuts they are!
You think I'm schizophrenic, look at me! Kind'o thang.

Vista and DAW’s, or should we say “Hasta La Vista”,
Windows 7 will cure the problems . . . . . .

Right . . . . .

And the missing hair on me head will grow back one day! :laugh:

Yaz (And D thought he was cynical)

Try reaper and see if it fixes the problem. I pretty much use it all the time now with vista and Love its stability. No latency problems at all. I was playing with ntrack last night testing drum and synth plugins and with my sound card on vista I would hit the bass and about a second later I would hear it on headphones. That makes it pretty much unusable for me.