Help!

Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash.

Anyone got a nice (but reasonably simple) arrangement of that number for acoustic guitar?

I’m not into country, but I’ve promised to play it for a wedding anniversary on Sunday.

So, no mariachi trumpets, no “ooo ooo” girls; just me, my geetar and my kilt. :)

Ali

PS, my sporran can manage a simple bass line at a pinch! :D

PPS, his key is fine for me. :)

Quote (Sceptic Tank @ Aug. 04 2005,01:59)
So, no mariachi trumpets, no "ooo ooo" girls; just me, my geetar and my kilt. :)

Ali

PS, my sporran can manage a simple bass line at a pinch! :D

Hey Ali, sorry mate, don't have it! And if I did, not sure I would admit it :)

Now, I know a Sporran cannae play Bass so you must have some handy implement tucked away behind it. Wow! Wish mine could play Bass :)

Btw, I was listening to The Corries last nite, " Ye Jacobites by name" Remember them?

Ian. ( My Mums name is, Jessie McBeath Bremner )

Ian, how do those camels react to Bremners? lol I’ve got a whole bunch of Bremner cousins! :D

You mind Billy Bremner when he played for Leeds? (A cousin’s cousin). Now, there was a right wee bastard! :D

As for the Corries, I sometimes play Scot’s stuff, but to be honest, I’m more a SRV/Hendrix/Dave Gilmour clone. :D

But, the thing is; I was chatting to the “loving couple” in the pub last night, and it seems that Ring of Fire was their tune. (You know what it’s like, there’s more C&W fans in Glasgow than in Tennessee! lol), so, I gotta play and sing it at the wee doo they’re having. I’ve got the lyrics down pat, and I think I’ve worked out the chords, but ahm no sure how to do that wee mariachi trumpet thingy. :(

Quote (Sceptic Tank @ Aug. 04 2005,04:18)
Ian, how do those camels react to Bremners? lol I've got a whole bunch of Bremner cousins! :D

As for the Corries, I sometimes play Scot's stuff, but to be honest, I'm more a SRV/Hendrix/Dave Gilmour clone. :D

But, the thing is; I was chatting to the "loving couple" in the pub last night, and it seems that Ring of Fire was their tune. (You know what it's like, there's more C&W fans in Glasgow than in Tennessee! lol), so, I gotta play and sing it at the wee doo they're having. :(

I have a load of Bremner cousins in Wick!
The locals here don't have much problem cos I was brought up as a kid doon south and am cursed with a sassenach accent!!
Thought I was the only one who rated Mr Gilmour. Good on ya!
Strangely enough I've been asked to sing a country song at a friends wedding. "Amazed" by Lonestar, guess by the time I've done with it , it will have turned into a rock ballad like below. If you get the time, listen to that and tell me where I'm going wrong. 1 friend of mine loved it, another hated it. Posted it on the forum and didn't get a single comment, not sure what that means :)
Ring of Fire is really there Song? There must be some story there!!

Need You bad

Aye, Billy Bremner was from Stirling, like the rest of that side of the family (not a teuchter from Wick! lol), but we Denny folk always looked down on them, :D

I never asked “the loving couple” why Ring of Fire was their tune (ye cannae ask if they first made love after a shared chicken vindaloo after all lol), but, I’m sitting here just now trying to figure out a nice wee bit to emulate those trumpets, and I’m struggling. :(

So ladies and gentlemen please; it goes: Dat, dat, de dah dat dat; dat dah, de dah da dah.

I’ve got it on single string melody, but it sounds empty, so I need the chordal arrangement. :)

Just record your back up Tank. The ol’ One Man Band!

He guys, proud to say I have it and I 'm not so sure that you could do it justice, so probably you could do some “hip hop”.

Don

Found here:
http://www.guitaretab.com/

Ring Of Fire

<!–QuoteBegin>

INTRO: G C G C

G C G
LOVE IS A BURNING THING
C G
AND IT MAKES A FIRERY RING
C G
BOUND BY WILD DESIRE
C G
I FELL INTO A RING OF FIRE

CHORUS:
D C G
I FELL INTO A BURNING RING OF FIRE
D
I WENT DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
C G
AND THE FLAMES WENT HIGHER

AND IT BURNS, BURNS, BURNS
C G
THE RING OF FIRE
C G
THE RING OF FIRE

REPEAT INTRO TWICE
REPEAT CHORUS

C G
THE TASTE OF LOVE IS SWEET
C G
WHEN HEARTS LIKE OURS MEET
C G
I FELL FOR YOU LIKE A CHILD
C G
OHH, BUT THE FIRE WENT WILD

REPEAT CHORUS 2x’s

AND IT BURNS, BURNS, BURNS
C G
THE RING OF FIRE
G G
THE RING OF FIRE

:cool:

Preparation H… anyone? ???

Woops! Wrong Ring of Fire…

TG

Social Distortion did quite a nice job with their version of this…no trumpets needed.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’ve got it on single string melody, but it sounds empty, so I need the chordal arrangement.

If’n you had some stones hiding behind that sporran, you’d double the string bit on kazoo. Can’t have a proper wedding without kazoo…

What happened to preparations A-G ? Eh TG?
???

Thanks for your responses guys. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

He guys, proud to say I have it and I 'm not so sure that you could do it justice, so probably you could do some “hip hop”.

Don

You’re undoubtedly correct Don, but, what’s a “Hip-Hop”?

Is this yet another reference to hemorrhoids? You stick a chili up your arse and it enlivens your on-stage moves or something? ???

I don’t like backing tapes Yaz, not only do they always break down at the exact wrong moment, but once when I did use one, a fellow guitarist referred to me as “Karaoke Ali”, and I’ve never used one since. :D

Yeah, I worked out the chords John, but thanks anyway. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>
If’n you had some stones hiding behind that sporran, you’d double the string bit on kazoo.

Actually Clava, I’ve a sneaking suspicion that Bill Wyman was hiding under there for a wee while, but a quick squirt of “MacHineries Patent Pederast Bassist Repellent” soon sorted that problem. :D

Anyway, I’ve think I’ve now worked out quite a good arrangement, so I only have to lie in a box underground for a few days to get the right Johnny Cash sound to my voice.

Ali

Quote (YazMiester @ Aug. 05 2005,06:29)
What happened to preparations A-G ? Eh TG?
???

A - resulted in spontaneous combustion when exposed to methane.
B - a derivative of curry was used. BIG mistake!
C - shrank the tissues TOO much resulting in extreme discomfort even when trying to clip ear hair.
D - actually caused the tissue to GROW! N-A-S-T-Y !!!
E - the testers found it tasted so good, they ATE the lot… and vanished into thin air…
F - caused the WRONG tissues (in the immediate area) to shrink. :O
G - worked extremely well but representatives of the US Government bought the patent. Turns out congress sits on their dead a$$es SOOO much…

TG

ROFL

Awsum TG, I particularly like Preperations A, C, and G. :D

Ring of Fire was a resounding success, especially as (thanks to clava), I trained my sporran to whistle the refrain. :cool:

Ali

Glad it worked out Ali! :D

I would totally go see a band called “Whistling Sporran”…

or “Sporran Whistle”, which would probably be even cooler…

Quote (Sceptic Tank @ Aug. 07 2005,21:01)
Ring of Fire was a resounding success, especially as (thanks to clava), I trained my sporran to whistle the refrain. :cool:

Ali

Pronunciation: 'spor-&n, 'spär-
Function: noun
Etymology: Scottish Gaelic sporan purse
: a pouch usually of skin with the hair or fur on that is worn in front of the kilt with Scots Highland dress

Huh? How did you get your hairy purse to whistle?
???