Help cant get my cool sounds !

Hello everybody,

I have this problem, hope you can help.

I have a Casio CTK-900, it is not a pro keyboard but it has cool sounds and I can create my own ones too (these
are stored in programs numbered 800 and above).

The thing is that in ntrack, of course, it is not listed as an “instrument” so I have to use “General midi”. From here I can only choose programs 1-127 (from “Acoustic grand piano” to “gunshot”) wich are not really good sounds.

Anyone knows how can I send the signal out to other programs than the 127 listed in General midi?

I do not know if this helps but I have a Terratec phase 24 soundcard and quite a beefy PC, that I do not think are the problem.

Thanks a lot

Javier

how is the keyboard connected to your computer?

You may have to patch the headphone out to your S/C (soundcard) input.
You could use a splitter so you could still use your headphones while you record.
Since the output impedance of your headphone jack is 140ohm - plug it in to your line-level input (not microphone) and if the headphone out has a volume control, keep it on the low side.

If you read the manual (should be on the included CD), that keyboard interfaces via the MIDI ports as a General MIDI instrument. So the only way to to get the sounds that the keyboard has onboard is to find soundfonts that coincide with those in that keyboard. Try looking on that CD, or try using that “Music Data Management Software” (p. E-74 in manual) that comes on the CD.

Paul

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Apr. 23 2009, 10:33 PM)

how is the keyboard connected to your computer?

It is connected through 2 midi 5 pins cables.
Thanks
Quote: (vanclan @ Apr. 24 2009, 6:50 AM)

If you read the manual (should be on the included CD), that keyboard interfaces via the MIDI ports as a General MIDI instrument. . Try looking on that CD, or try using that "Music Data Management Software" (p. E-74 in manual) that comes on the CD.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I am not sure that I am following you, my english is less than perfect! Unfortunately manual comes in print, not on CD. Page E74 is "Using SMF player"
¿?

[...So the only way to to get the sounds that the keyboard has onboard is to find soundfonts that coincide with those in that keyboard]... What do you mean?

Jatego, the only certain way to get your Casio’s exact sounds into your computer is to use an audio cable from the Casio’s line or headphone output, connected to your computer sound card’s line input (start with the volume low) like sevenofeleven said above. When you try to use the midi outputs you aren’t sending sounds to the computer, just digital commands, which your computer can use to play the General Midi sounds (the 128 sounds you already know about), or it can play other sounds using soundfonts, which are collections of sounds your computer can play instead. There are lots of free soundfonts available on the web, and many make wonderful sounds - there may even be a soundfont containing emulations of the sounds your Casio makes if you look around enough! ntrack can use your keyboard as a controller of a virtual instrument (VSTi), and you can easily find a soundfont player called SFZ which provides you with an interface to make it easier to use the soundfonts you find. The exact instructions, while not difficult, would take more words than I have in me tonight, but there are several places where you can learn them, including by searching this forum, I think…

I hope this helps, and if it doesn’t, I am sure someone else here will give you the help you need. Welcome aboard!

'til next time;
Tony W

Ok, I tried and several things went ok. Thanks a lot to you all for your help.
This is a great forum. I only hope I could help others sometime, but I suck at this!

Cheers,
Javier

Wait until you have been doing this for a few years - then you’ll realize how much there is yet to be learned!!!

:agree:

'til next time;
tony w

:agree: