Help me collect soundcard benchmarks

add your soundcard to my list

I have results from a few audio interfaces posted HERE.

If you’re just a bit technically minded, RMAA is pretty easy to run. Help us all out by benchmarking your soundcard and emailing me the results.

Ideally, send me the .sav file created by saving results, and give me the following details:

- soundcard make & model
- which inputs you benchmarked (line or mike)
- bit depth (ideally 24 bits)
- sample rate (might be nice to get both 44.1k and 96k on cards that support them)

Now, I know that benchmarks don’t tell us everything. Furthermore, the loopback method doesn’t show whether problems are on the input side or the output side. But they do give us some interesting info.

Thanks
Jeff

It might have to wait a few days but I’ll give it a go…

Mark

Can be interesting make a thread first asking what soundcard are actually using n-trackers, to have something like a database.

Sure you don’t want the results done as HTML and have the folder and images ziped and sent in?

Just finished testing mine at 24/44, 24/48, and 24/96. I couldn’t repro the 24/96 results here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/02/10/hercules_16/page9.html

I actually found that the higher I ran the sampling rate, the noise floor lifted about 1.5 to 2db at each increment. So without decimal points - at 44.1, it was -105, at 48 it was -103 and at 96k it was -101. And I got different results depending on what the recording levels were set at, so I did a test at -1.3, and a test at -.3 which were as close as I could get. Running it hotter got me a better noise floor and dynamic range, but the THD and crosstalk went up.

Overall, I got the best numbers at 24/44. Not real happy with that.

Anyway, I’ve got six results here you can have in either HTML or .sav.

Willy.

Willy, if I have the raw data, then I can adjust the names as needed down the road in case there are different results for similar cases. I suppose I could edit the raw HTML, of course, so I suppose either way is fine. But sending me the .sav file is fine and should be easy for you guys.

Well, it doesn’t work yet (inputlevels are to low…??? ) but when I got them, I’ll send them to you.

Maria, there are too many volume controls! Back on your other thread, let us know what kind of soundcard (if you didn’t already) and we can help.

Willy, I wouldn’t worry about 6dB way down at -100 dB! Ain’t nobody gonna hear it. :wink: Send me the results any which way. It may turn out that html is easiest for me after all, but either way is fine.

Once I get a few more I’ll probably write a script to generate a comparison chart.

Thanks to hansje for sending me results for M-Audio Audiophile. (Future web page versions will acknowledge contributors.)

Hello,

I would like to post the results for my Delta1010 but don’t know how to run the tests and compile the results. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mitch

1) Connect your soundcard’s line outputs directly to its line inputs.

2) In RMAA “Playback/recording settings”, select your soundcard for both playback and recording (top and bottom boxes). Select 24-bit and 44.1 (or whatever you want to test, but it would be nice to always start with that mode for all soundcards we test).

3) In “Run Tests”, make sure “Adjust playback/recording levels” is checked, and click the leftmost toolbutton below (“Run tests in loopback mode”).

4) During the level adjustment section, adjust your soundcard’s playback and record levels to get both bars in the green. Use the mixer/control software provided with your soundcard, unless it’s a built-in or similar card that uses the Windows mixers.

For built-in or similar soundcards, double-click the volume icon in Systray at the lower right corner of your screen. This pops up “Playback Controls”. Change this into “Recording Controls” in "Options -> Properties. Drag this mixer aside, and double-click on the volume control icon again to pop up another Playback Controls mixer. You should see “Line Out” or similar for your soundcard.

In either case, you may find that you can get “in the green” with high playback levels and low record levels or vice-versa. Rather than using extremes, I think it’s best to set both record and playback to roughly the same level.

4) After the tests complete, RMAA pops up a dialog box, enter any comments you have about anything special for the test and hit OK. If you’re testing mic preamp inputs rather than line inputs, add “mic” to the end of “Souncard/device name”. “Testing conditions” should already say something like “24-bit, 44kHz loopback”. Hit OK.

5) For “select slot” just hit OK.

6) You can click the graph icons on the right to see the result graphs. To create the “.sav” file for sending to me, you can choose either of the following methods:

6A) Click the floppy icon and save the file and send it to me.

6B) Click the “Make HTML Report” icon, zip the files together and send the resulting zip file to me, using the “email” button below any of my posts.

In either case, RMAA gives you the chance to adjust the soundcard name, testing conditions, and comments.

It’s easier than it sounds – no doubt you just needed a clue about how to get started! And yes, there are a few confusing things about RMAA’s GUI.

Regards,
Jeff

LearJeff,

Thanks for the direction. I’ll gitter done.

Mitch

Thanks to all who’ve sent me benchmark results. I’m in the process of writing a script to generate a summary webpage, so sorry that I haven’t posted the results I’ve received yet.

Once I have that up, it’ll be a lot easier for folks to see what cards are already represented.

PS: if you email me restuls, please also identify your n-Track user ID so I can attribute the source.

Cheers
Jeff

Jeff,
I’ve tried testing my card but when it does the test signal if I try to adjust the levels it is eiterh too high (clipping at the top) or too low (at zero) the buzzing tone seems to fluctuate slightly as well which makes it hard to adjust the level…

I have the 2 amin outs (that normally go to my amp) plugged into 2 line ins…
I’ve tried 2 different line in pairs and same thing…

Rich

Hi Rich,

I am in the middle of testing Line 6’s Tone Port UX2. As instructed I’m connecting the analog line out’s into the Tone Port’s line in’s. I had the same problem as you’ve described. In my case all I had to do was to mute the monitor sends on the related recording channels. Because of the input/output wiring config for the test, by NOT muting the monitor sends a feedback loop is just dying to get out and does! Hey, just like the good’ol days with monitor feedback ripping your head off…well not really. Anyway check out the muting thing if you haven’t already done so…

Chris

Ahh… thanks Chris.
All sorted now.
Jeff, I’ll send you the results for the 44 and 96Khz test now

Rich

Sorry but I couldn’t get it to work. It was pinning my card but RIAA said the levels were too low. A screeching was going into my headphones.

Are you sure you picked your soundcard for both input and output?

Also, I had problems with my MOTU using WDM just now but using MME it worked fine. With WDM, it output just fine but no input. I haven’t seen that particular problem before, but I have a new computer now.

What soundcard?

<!–QuoteBegin>

A scretching was going into my headphones.

You have to disable monitoring for the channels you’re recording though or else it will feedback.

Hi Jeff,

You can grab my .SAV files at Audio Interface Data.

Device: Line 6 Tone Port UX2 (USB 1.1/2.0)
Benchmark Inputs: Line
Bit Depth: 24
Sample Rate: 44.1KHz and 48KHz
MRAA Input Levels: Left (-1.0), Right (-0.7)

The Tone Port will work at 96KHz but uses a built-in sample rate converter on both the input/output and only if an ASIO driver is available. However Line 6 recommends using the unit’s native 44.1/48 sample rates whenever possible. Unfortuneately MRAA does not support ASIO drivers so I was not able to test at 96KHz. I checked the MRAA website and it sounds like the ASIO issue has been around for a while. MRAA had promised and missed the initial release date for the ASIO driver issue.

I found the exercise very informative. From a numbers perspective you can see the attributes or limitations of your unit. If only someone could develop a program along the same line as MRAA but instead analize your finished master and then indicate how many rotations per day that your song would receive on national media they’d make a fortune. Yeah I know…smoke another one! I bet that our buddy “Dewey” already has a module like that!

Back to reality…here’s a couple of tips that I discovered when testing my device. I don’t know if is applies to the majority of 2 channel devices or only just to the Tone Port but here they are:

1) The analog left and right outs MUST be looped back into the corresponding left and right input channels. If the channels are swapped the program see no input. This only applies to the MRAA testing procedure.

2) Mute record channel monitor sends. This issue has been previously addressed.

3) Line 6 Tone Port specific - 96KHz and front panel inputs require ASIO driver support. MRAA does not support ASIO so you will not be able to test in those areas.

Chris