Help - Program wants to reinstall every time ....

I upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1. Every time I tried to open the program it wants to do and install… I went back to the earlier version… same thing is happening. Help??

Thanks

Have you tried uninstalling from the windows control panel and then installing?

What are the properties of the icon you are clicking on to run the program? Are they maybe pointing to the install file instead of the program exe?

Rich

I have not tried uninstalling that way… .will do.

The properties read:

“C:\Program Files\FASoft
-Track Studio 4”

Anytime a file n-Tracks installs is missing or changed then it is detected and the setup will run again to replace it. If the previous version wasn’t quite uninstalled properly or somehow the registry didn’t get cleaned out when it was uninstalled then the next version may be detecting a missing file in error - old stuff in the registry.

Uninstalling the way Rich suggests should fix it, but if not, try reinstalling the previous version again, then turn right around and uninstall it again from the control panel before moving to the updated version. This might sound crazy but the idea is to force uninstalling the previous version, and that can’t be done if it’s not on the machine, which will be the case after running the update setup.

This happens to me all the time.

Check your icon on the desktop and in the start menu and make sure the TARGET points to:

"C:\Program Files\FASoft
-Track Studio 4
track.exe"

START IN should read:

-Track Studio 4"

I noticed my links were screwed up after an update but forgot to mention it here since I got used to fixing the link manually. Maybe this is your problem. Take a look.

KingFish

Quote (KingFish @ Oct. 31 2005,23:20)
This happens to me all the time.

Check your icon on the desktop and in the start menu and make sure the TARGET points to:

"

START IN should read:

-Track Studio 4"

I noticed my links were screwed up after an update but forgot to mention it here since I got used to fixing the link manually. Maybe this is your problem. Take a look.

KingFish

OK, I changed it to read
“C:\Program Files\FASoft
-Track Studio 4
track.exe”, but it still does the same.

Kingfish - I don’t follow what you mean by:

START IN should read:

-Track Studio 4"

Thanks again

I’m not sure…but for me… And I’m talking about the desktop shortcut to nTrack.

Right click and select properties. In the dialog under the SHORTCUT tab there are 2 changeable entries labeled TARGET and down a little lower…START IN

If this isn’t your prob…go into Windows Explorer and navigate to your nTrack.exe file (where you told the program to install it) and double click it. If that works then your shortcuts are screwed up. If it doesn’t work you have other issues. Uninstall it and reinstall again making sure to turn off antivirus programs and such before you install.

KingFish

Are you sure you’re not somehow managing to run the install exe instead of the program exe?

Sorry, but the shortcut to V4.1 doesn’t have an editable target. The shortcut KingFish is talking about is the normal Windows shortcut almost every other app will use, including older verions of n-Tracks. n-Tracks is setup a little differently now so it detect when files are missing. The shortcut is different. Right click the short cut and select properties.

Anyone try this if you want to see this in action:
–Move dxirewire.dll to some other folder.
–Double-click the shortcut used to start n-Tracks.
–The setup will run.

The reason this is happening is because a file n-Tracks thinks it needs is missing. It doesn’t matter if this verison REALLY needs it. That’s the eror.

I don’t know where the list is kept but I’m pretty sure it’s under “Installer” in the registry. This isn’t something easy to clean out, and there may be other things in play as well. Search for entries that have “FASoft” when n-Tracks is fully uninstalled. and delete them.

Reinstalling will make the current setup good, but it won’t remove items in the “we need” list from previous setups if it doesn’t know about them.

Quote (phoo @ Nov. 01 2005,11:01)
Sorry, but the shortcut to V4.1 doesn’t have an editable target. The shortcut KingFish is talking about is the normal Windows shortcut almost every other app will use, including older verions of n-Tracks. n-Tracks is setup a little differently now so it detect when files are missing. The shortcut is different. Right click the short cut and select properties.

Anyone try this if you want to see this in action:
–Move dxirewire.dll to some other folder.
–Double-click the shortcut used to start n-Tracks.
–The setup will run.

The reason this is happening is because a file n-Tracks thinks it needs is missing. It doesn’t matter if this verison REALLY needs it. That’s the eror.

I don’t know where the list is kept but I’m pretty sure it’s under “Installer” in the registry. This isn’t something easy to clean out, and there may be other things in play as well. Search for entries that have “FASoft” when n-Tracks is fully uninstalled. and delete them.

Reinstalling will make the current setup good, but it won’t remove items in the “we need” list from previous setups if it doesn’t know about them.

Thanks for the info Phoo.

I’m running 4.1 build 1974 and everything works fine and it even notified me of the newer build 1980.

KingFish