HELP: "Out of memory allocating preload buffers"

I just got a new (to me) computer, and I installed the current version nTrack 4. When I try to open one of my previous song files, I get “Out of memory allocating preload buffers.” This PC has the same amount of RAM (512MB) and a much faster processor (P4, 2.4 GHz) than the one I was using for nTrack previously, so I don’t know what to make of it. It has XP Pro whereas the previous PC had Win2000 Pro.

It’s been a couple of months since I’ve fooled with this stuff, and I seem to have forgotten everything I once knew about getting it set up properly. I looked in the help file and searched the forum, but I didn’t see anything that looked helpful. Can anyone please help me out here?

Thanks.

I have had this appear, but only with certain .sng files. I get around it by opening a song that does not generate the message… then I can open the one that caused it first time. I never filed a bug report cause I am probably ditchin’ n-Track. Too buggy anymore. It’s a shame because I really like n’s interface/GUI.

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Sep. 20 2006,11:41)
I have had this appear, but only with certain .sng files. I get around it by opening a song that does not generate the message… then I can open the one that caused it first time. I never filed a bug report cause I am probably ditchin’ n-Track. Too buggy anymore. It’s a shame because I really like n’s interface/GUI.

D

TRATOR! lol

I’ve been on 2.3 for 7 years now…seem to be able to record half decent music? So what else should this thing do?

I guess if you are happy with what you got you are blessed with peace.

Me tinks it has something to do with switching OPs, I do remember reading something about that before, or switching versions of N, or both, been a long time since that type of dilema was discussed.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

I had to upgrade to V4 to get n compatible with my soundcard. It’s been downhill ever since. V4.2.1 Build 2099 is fairly stable but eats CPU time like it was free. I have to “freeze” tracks all the time just to get glitch free playback. The same project works great in Cubase LE or Sonar LE or… with low CPU use and NO glitches.

I’m keeping an eye on n-Track development. It’s kind of my “first love” anyway… :)

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Sep. 20 2006,11:55)
I had to upgrade to V4 to get n compatible with my soundcard.

Maybe that's why I couldn't get the Audiophyle 2490 to work?
Either that, or I just didn't need all those inputs. I only have two hands and a mouth! A BiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiG MOUTH!

keep shinin'

jerm :cool:

Nobody else has seen this error? Wow, I feel special! :(

BTW… this happens on V4.2.1 Build 2099 too… but only on certain .sng files. The rest pop open just fine. Once one of the “good” files is open, I can open one of the “bad” files.

I guess we’re both special…

D

I’m running version 3 and definitely have this as an occassional problem on some songs. I even reformatted my HD and reinstalled XP, and that helped moderately. When I reformatted I set up a partition on the HD to run n only. I have yet to install XP and set this up with n, but when I do, I expect a much better performance.

After hanging out here awhile, I’ve learned that as you install more and more programs, etc, you have more and more problems with n running on your machine. In my last install, I had it running perfectly, then one day I installed an anti virus program and it never worked well at all, even after I uninstalled the anti-virus program.

Sounds like version 4 is even touchier to run with other stuff on your machine than v 3. Is v5 any better?

Oops, really meant to start my post with a suggestion that you mess around with the buffers to improve the performance. Also, if you search, you’ll find many comments on the use of various drivers and their benefits/drawbacks.

What drivers you using?

Well, I found my problem. When I was getting ready to switch machines, I backed up all my files onto an external hard drive and then copied them from there back onto the new machine. Turns out that some of my .wav files didn’t copy over right, and I had a bunch of zero-byte files that nTrack was trying to open. I’ll give you a hint… that doesn’t work well :;): I re-copied the files from the external drive, and all seems to be OK.

Thanks for the help and moral support!

Quote (ddecjc @ Sep. 21 2006,04:45)
Well, I found my problem. When I was getting ready to switch machines, I backed up all my files onto an external hard drive and then copied them from there back onto the new machine. Turns out that some of my .wav files didn't copy over right, and I had a bunch of zero-byte files that nTrack was trying to open. I'll give you a hint... that doesn't work well :;): I re-copied the files from the external drive, and all seems to be OK.

Thanks for the help and moral support!

If you still have one of the .wav files that show the problem please email it to info@ntrack.com so that I can try to make the program detect the corrupted files and give a more meaningful error message.

Flavio.

Quote (Flavio Antonioli @ Sep. 21 2006,08:06)
If you still have one of the .wav files that show the problem please email it to info@ntrack.com so that I can try to make the program detect the corrupted files and give a more meaningful error message.

Sorry. I overwrote all those files when I copied over the good ones. If I find any other ones later on, I’ll let you know.