help with an oldie?

‘Flowers’

I just came across this in an old play list, I wrote it for my brother ‘Steve’, I know it is really cheesy but I like it!

This is a demo I did a good while back now, so although it is not great, you will get the idea.

'Flowers’

My question?..Anyone like it? is it worth redoing?
I always struggled with the guitar track, never really knew how to play it or where to take it…any ideas?

Ange x

the first thing i though of when hearing the first couple of bars was to do it as a small combo in a jazz/pop style: jazz drum kit laying a very subtle, simple beat, clean bass (maybe fretless?), an electric piano playing a very close approximation to your guitar part, and a clean electric or acoustic to fill in the gaps. but still keeping the integrity of the song idea, not to outdo it.

just what came to mind for me though.

It’s going to take a very soothing mellow track to pull that one off in my opinion Anj.

If you’re doing what I think you are, I would suggest you trust your talent to write new material instead of going over past work you are not quite sure about.

Just my thinking - I’m wrong more than I’m right… Strength of material is a major goal for your first label project. I just don’t hear your signature on this one as much as some of your others.

Hi Ange.
I like the guitar parts.
The song didn’t knock me over though.
You could take all the strong parts from it and start one of your own.
Try jamming with it.
Like hit record and do 3 to 5 versions and don’t be afraid to expiment and make mistakes (at times mistakes say go this way! Especially when you play yourself out of them!!!).
Review and see if there is anything more worth developing.

As is; the song is good and has potential.
You could expand what we see as your sound buy developing this one.
If this one is special to you I say record versions of it when your in diffrent moods.
Especially that “outer’space’alien” mood that you go into at times :laugh:

I don’t agree with Poppa Willis…
on this…
It’s your stuff/material…

I think if the song will stand by itself it should be able to be presented in just about any flavor/style… Just keep hashing around with your guitar till you find the flavor that suits You and Rob and your StudioMan…

Right now… I hear it as some-what UP…
BuT…
I think you’re somewhat beyond that now…
Search/Look for a feel that’s more NOW You…
Whatever-that-is…
now…

You’ll find IT…
I know…

Bill…

Ange, I’m with JDET on this, I heard what he’s hearing when I 1st played it. Base it around your guitar theme but add a strummed acoustic rythm and some lightweight percussion and bass. Also make it more uptempo.
But I do know where Poppa is coming from. You have moved on musically from when you wrote this and the recent stuff you have written is flawless.

Thanks everyone :D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jul. 28 2009, 2:27 PM)

It’s going to take a very soothing mellow track to pull that one off in my opinion Anj.

If you’re doing what I think you are, I would suggest you trust your talent to write new material instead of going over past work you are not quite sure about.

Just my thinking - I’m wrong more than I’m right… Strength of material is a major goal for your first label project. I just don’t hear your signature on this one as much as some of your others.

OK, well I think you probably just summed it up pretty well popps. I am Very emotionally connected to this song and so I was hoping to breath some life back in to it but it is not in following of my recent style and would be quite a miss fit.

I think that I will not waste studio time on it but if I find myself at a loose end I may try to play with
it again…

Quote:

"Try jamming with it. "

sounds like an idea :) hmmmm maybe this could work with piano?!

Ange x
Quote: (ange @ Jul. 29 2009, 1:54 AM)

hmmmm maybe this could work with piano?!

You know I heard a piano in the beginning of this cut.
And where it isn't necessarly sounding like the Ange's music we are used, to I have to say that there is a vocal line that is really great!
And it SHOULD be developed IMHHSAO

Hi Ange, sorry I’m just catching up with this, but I’ve been to Mexico and back, just got home,

I love the song, the lyrics paint these vivid images,
the secret place, face in the moonlight, left you with a keyring, the harmonies are lovely in the chorus,

I think I agree with Bill, toy around with it in case you find yourself at a “loose end” - if it doesn’t seem to fit the current project keep it in mind for the next. Because the song really is nice. Honestly, I mean it, very good.

I think any of the other suggestions could work, sure, but myself, I hope this doesnt confuse things, I think that if the guitar was a solid performance, with the 2 vocal tracks, that could be it. The quiet sullen sound of it matches the lyrics, memories of a time and place that can’t be found again. A quiet bittersweet reflection. I’m impressed with your work… again.