Here's the reason Pro Tools is "better"

That’s the wrong link.

http://www.zynewave.com/

You’re right! It takes a while for me to get straightened out.

I though that we had establish a few months ago (or was it years?) that whatever the benefits of moving from 32 floating to 48, it was mathematically irrelevant until you get up around 128 tracks or so. Even at that level whatever mathematical benefits there are would be swamped by other factors having to do with orchestration, mics, premaps, your skill as an engineer…what limey said! :)

Anyway, as has been said over and over, to get a more “analog” sound ya gotta use analog stuff - e.g., really nice preamps, hardware processors, and, oh, tape. Personally, I’ve come to the conclusion that the “analog/digital” debate mostly happens among folks who don’t know any better (b/c they, like me, have limited experience of both, and hope somehow to make recordings that are inferior b/c of their inferior engineering skills and inferior rooms and preamps and such better), or among the elite in the profession who really understand how many different factors play into creating an “analog” sound.

Quote (phoo @ Feb. 20 2005,14:30)
That's the wrong link.

I downloaded that demo. That is one CONVOLUTED, Bassackwards GUI they got going there. Has anybody else played with this nightmare?

I think I'll just wait for Flavios 64 bit audio engine.........

TG

actually I was the first paid up user of Podium. I think it’s a great bit of kit.

I also think that NTrack is a great bit of kit. I use both, but for different types of music. NTrack works brilliantly for linear stuff, and Podium is very adaptable for more loop based music. Having said that I have done loop stuff on N, and linear on Podium.

I wouldn’t budge from using either of them, they both suit the way I work in their own way. Something like Tracktion, on the other hand, doesn’t fit for me. Neither does Cubase and it’s entourage, or the current set of Cakewalk offerings (I use PA7 for some MIDI editting when I really have to…)

I go along with (b)"“Limey”", it matters not the tools, its the craft and the imagination.

DSP

Quote (gtr4him @ Feb. 21 2005,09:01)

You mean the one that will sound nearly identical to the 32 bit one he has now? We're to the point now where any improvements will be so subtle, who cares? In their untreated bed room, folks plug their $50 Chinese mic into their $50 Behringer mixer and run it into their SBLive which records to their 64 bit DAW. Do we see some irony here? It is easy for folks to point at specs and say "That's why it doesn't sound good, done gotta be 48 bit" where as it is tough to admit, "It sounds like poo because I couldn't EQ my way out of a paper sack, I'm using a cheap mic with poor placement, recording a BC Rich through a Crate GX15."

All this spec stuff is a waste IMO. I know you are just kidding TG, but it had to be said. :)

Yeah, what bubba said. That is right on. :D

Quote (Bubbagump @ Feb. 21 2005,09:14)
recording a BC Rich through a Crate GX15."

ha ha ha

Tom, it’s less a matter of number of tracks (where you’re right, it takes hundreds to matter) but of FX processing. The more mantissa bits the plugins have to use, the better job they can do. But does anyone know where we can get standard plugin modules for 48 bits, or 64-bit float?

I do believe that within 10 years we’ll be using 64-bit float internally in our audio applications, and we’ll be very happy about it. This format makes it a lot easier for the DSP coders to avoid pitfalls of near-infinites and near-infintesimals (due to both the wider exponent and wider mantissa). So, it’ll be easier to code good-sounding FX, and that will be a good thing! But first, we need standards for plugins, and also pretty fast machines because those extra mantissa bits take quite a bit more CPU cycles. Note that I’m only talking about the Floating Point processing – 48-bit fixed point summing is actually faster than 32-bit float summing. But how often do we run lots of tracks with no EQ or FX?

But first, of course, we need a plugin standard for that format. I doubt DX or VST allow that much format flexibility (just guessing, though).

Quote (Bubbagump @ Feb. 21 2005,09:14)
All this spec stuff is a waste IMO. I know you are just kidding TG, but it had to be said. :)

Man am I THAT transparent? :D

I need to take some lessons on being vague and shifty...oh wait, then I would want to go into politics! NAH!

I think the GIGO rule applies to this wacky game we are playing around in....Garbage IN....Garbage OUT......the crap in between ???

TG
Quote (gtr4him @ Feb. 21 2005,09:01)
Quote (phoo @ Feb. 20 2005,14:30)
That's the wrong link.

I downloaded that demo. That is one CONVOLUTED, Bassackwards GUI they got going there. Has anybody else played with this nightmare?

TG

I downloaded the demo to see what the fuss was about and all I found was that its a pretty looking processor hog. I went back and kissed Ntrack's ass for a while afterwards. :laugh: