Here is a remixed version of "Maybe I"

Further comments welcomed

nick church MySpace

Thanks

I’m far from an expert, but I like music. And I like this song. The only advice I can give after one listen is that I would like more of a flourish at the very end (the guitar fade).

I’m going to listen to Stand - keep it going!

listened to “Maybe I”. Excellent. Nict-picking - I found the crash cymbal (in my left ear) somewhat distracting.

Well done.

Maybe I

I think you definitely have something here.

My thoughts on this. Drum track should come in more quickly. That crunchy elect rythm guitar needs to be brought out more to the fore. I think it’s a real nice element that gives the song alot of punch and character, it suits the voice but it is getting drowned. Drowned more because it is too well timed with the bass and near follows the acoustic/electric strum. It doesn’t change the mood enough. I would make this edgier by changing it’s timing abit. That’s my opinion though. I definitely think you have something though thats very good that you can make better.

Quote (StuH @ April 29 2006,11:09)
Maybe I

I think you definitely have something here.

My thoughts on this. Drum track should come in more quickly. That crunchy elect rythm guitar needs to be brought out more to the fore. I think it's a real nice element that gives the song alot of punch and character, it suits the voice but it is getting drowned. Drowned more because it is too well timed with the bass and near follows the acoustic/electric strum. It doesn't change the mood enough. I would make this edgier by changing it's timing abit. That's my opinion though. I definitely think you have something though thats very good that you can make better.

The timing change i refered to only applies to the crunchy elect rythm guitar not the whole song.

This has really entered what I would call ‘single release’ level when compared to the first mixes I heard of it. You really did a great job on a great song. I like the laid-back sound, almost understating the message, yet very, very powerful and subtle. Congratulations!!

If I have to be picky (which is why I am posting this anyway) I’d change two things: Soften the ‘buzzy’ entrance of the electric guitar a bit - it jumps out of the mix and makes the listener (me, at least) associate the sound with a dodgy cable or something like that. (I grabbed into thin air as a reflex when I first heard it) The second thing is that I would try to lengthen the fadeout a bit - just three to four seconds more would suffice. It lets the track breathe more in the end, leaving the listener wanting for more…

Thanks for sharing this great song with the rest of us. I really enjoyed it.

regards, Nils

Thanks for these comments - they are really helpful and I am so pleased that people are enjoying the track.

On the technical sidem the ‘buzzing’ entrace is something added when the producer mixed it. I was not sure about it at first and am still not. However, it certainly does provoke a reaction! I wanted the producer to have some artistic input ot the song also.

I also totally agree with you about the fade. it is a bit quick. I may ask the guy who mastered it if he can legthen it a bit.

Cheers for the comments Stu. This is a problem for me, as I do not have a particualar flair for mixing sos I just try to get everything in time:-) I might give this a go though to see the effects for myself

THanks again fellas