Here we go again.

Batten down the hatches

Another hurricane, this is getting old fast. In-laws live in Florida, keeping wife nervous almost all the time. Worried bout her parents and calling them is running the old phone bill thru the roof.
Batten down the hatches all you n-Trackers on the gulf coast!

P.S. Still haven’t gotten tree down from Tropical storm Cindy here. Hoping Katrina don’t blow in here and remove it for me, on the house that is.

That’s all the talk, this morning in the coffee shop… We are all hopeing that you guys come away from this in, as good a condition as you can… I know people in Central Florida and Mississippi… The people in Florida got some rain and wind, but now they’re saying, it may not be over yet… The people I know, in Mississippi arn’t saying much… ??? :(

Bill…

I wonder if N’awlin’s will only be accessible by submarine when Katrina is blown out?

Any n-Trackers down that way? I hope they went to higher ground! ???

TG

So… YazMiester:

How did you people manage? Got a First-Hand Report for us? And how close to the Gulf Shore, are you?

Bill…

Hey Bill, not in the Gulf, North Carolina here. Hurricane alley so to speak. The devastation in the Gulf is tremendous. The bad part for here is the jet stream and low/high pressures. Was spared and bad weather this time, but normally we wind up with the eastern edge of the eye after landfall with severe storms/flooding/tornadoes. Was what happened to me when Tropical storm Cindy came thru. Tornado touched down 6 miles south of me, storm came thru here with severe lightning and rain. Lightning struck the Oak in front of my house bounced off and hit my house. Fried electronics that weren’t even plugged into electrical sockets. Tornado/funnel cloud spotted near Mayberry yesterday. Mountains here got some heavy rains and wind from this. Haven’t heard from sis in law who lives in Tennesee where the eye of the storm went thru. Hurricanes are very devastaing to our coast line here, but seem to cause more damage inland when they come from the gulf instead of Atlantic. Storms follow the low and high pressures, but the jet steam dipping down from Canada cause them to come thru the Carolina’s more frequent than I care for.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all the folks on the Gulf coast!

Update this am, Gas prices jumped .20 cents Monday here. Got inside info this am that today between 8 and 9 am prices will jump another.55 cents a Gallon. Putting prices here between $3.20 to $3.30 a gallon for Reg octane. And it’s not over yet folks. :(

Hi YazMiester:
Thanks for your replies… I hear you loud and clear… For some reason I figuered you to be from Alabama… or some place closer to the Gulf Coast… I was sure we had some Board Posters, from down-in-there ???

However, I’m feeling a lot of sorrow for those Hard-Working souls who have been Hit Pretty Hard with this storm… The photos that I’ve seen comming out of there are just awful… From what I can see… it’s just beginning… those people are on their way to Big-Time suffering…

The building-trades guys in the coffee shop, this morning, are saying it’s gonna put building material prices through the roof… And, that we’ll feel it right across North America…

Our population base doesn’t compare with where you live… But as a result , we pay top dollar for anything we consume up here… All the tooth picks and toilet paper we use up here has to come in by truck… everything… We are at the mercy of the price of Fuel…

Haveing said that, we, up here are bracing again for what it’s gonna cost us, again…on top of all that… (Talkin about fuel)…

We, up here, are very envious of the price of your fuel… We know that the price of fuel is gonna hurt us, this winter… we are very aware… For what it’s worth… The Weather Albeniac < < is that how’s it’s spelt?? lol… They are predicting a colder-then-normal winter in these parts, so, we ain’t gonna see any relief in that regard… Our fuel has been as high as a$1.13.9 a litre… Today it sitting at 1.10.9 a litre… That’s $5.09.1 a Gal… in cad, funds… We feel your pain… We just don’t know how much more it gonna cost us… And, when the increase in price is gonna slow down…

Most of the average people up here are planning the use of our cars, and all… So we don’t find ourselves “Back-Tracking” and wasting fuel… Hey… i’ve even bought fuel in your area for as low as 0.89 a Gal… And that wasn’t too many years ago…

I feel a lot of pain for those people… This will be a late summer and early fall, to remember, for some time…

There are gonna be people who are gonna prosper by all this… I think that is why I “Rant-and-Go-ON”…

Keep us Up-to-Date as to how your area thinks and responds to all of this… Can You??

Bill…

Hey Bill,

I live in northeast Alabama. The weather got a little stormy but no serious damage around my place. The Mississippi gulf coast took a SERIOUS bashing and New Orleans? D@#N! That place is RUINED! We are sending up many prayers for those folks down there. Will be sending material aid as soon as we can too. They’re gonna need it.

TG

Hi Terry:
I knew there were some of you, from down in there… This is so bad… But, as bad as it is, I’m only thinking that it is just beginning, to be, for them… It was several years ago, but I came across your state on my way into Chattanooga…I think it was I-59… that I traveled, on…

Anyway, our fuel took a jump this morning… It went from 1.10.9 to 1.31.9 a litre… That’s $5.89.1 per litre I’m O.K. for a while… I fueled up yesterday… The system has placed such a dependency on transportation… This is gonna be tough to take… What’s it all worth…??? I saw photos, from over there, of cars and pick-ups piled on top of one-another… :O ??? :(

Bill…

Oh-yea… can you keep us all up-dated? Mabey, you know people who live down, in there??

<!–QuoteBegin>

New Orleans.

Looting spiraled so out of control that Mayor Ray Nagin ordered virtually the entire police force to abandon search-and-rescue efforts and focus on the brazen packs of thieves who have turned increasingly hostile.

One can understand and empathise with people who smash store windows to get food for their kids; but TV’s and Hi-Fi’s?

I can’t recall who said it, but:

"The distance between civilisation and the law of the jungle is 24 hours and 2 meals."

Anyway, I only hope significant aid arrives soon.

Ali

I told my wife this morning that what we are seeing is people reverting to our basic animal instincts. At that point it doesn’t matter if it’s food for survival or just stuff they want.

Here in in my town (VA). Gas went from 2.71 to 3.00 yesterday. One station here was told that it was going to cost them 32,000.00 to fill the tanks. He sent the truck on its way and closed his pumps saying that he is not going to charge his customers 3.00 a gallon for gas. This is what we need!!! More stations to close the pumps and put an end to this price gouging. :angry: GREED GREED GREED

What we need is for people to start buying fuel efficient cars and stop commuting to work in SUVs & Trucks. What we need is for the government to start getting serious about getting us off our dependency on oil.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Sep. 01 2005,14:56)
What we need is for people to start buying fuel efficient cars and stop commuting to work in SUVs & Trucks. What we need is for the government to start getting serious about getting us off our dependency on oil.

well....ok...thanks...but what about what is happening in LA?

When will martial law go into effect?

This is just the beginning of what may continue for the unforseen future…

The first indication of how bad this could be is… If we see empty tankers entering our harbour to load refined fuel for sale South of our Borders… Loaded tankers comming up our harbour is O.K. with me… But a loaded tanker leaving the refinery piers??.. I hope they call me and ask me if it’s O.K. and this is what the deal is… and where the destination of the load is going. Remember… we are paying almost $6.00 a gallon…

Now, we know that’ll never happen… But we all have been made way too dependent on fuel for day-to-day existance…

It’s been reported that the gas reserves off our shores (On the Scotian Shelf) contains enough reserves to last a number of our life-times… We’ve been paying taxes on these reserves and I remember quite well when our government of the time asked us, (the Taxpayers) to anti-up for the future… That was '72-'73… Production has been going on for as long as, and more than 10 years now… The bulk of the production ends up in the Boston Area… We have yet to see any significant bennifet from these reserves…

As you can see… I’m ranting pretty bad, on this reply… Prehaps I had better stop…

There were reports of independent retailers closeing up shop… But I haven’t seen that yet… I think they are being told by the powers-that-be, to stay opened… The reason being that it looks like there is some kind of Free-Market Competition going on… But I see this as smoke-and-mirrors by the Oil Companies and the Governments…

What I’d like to see is… The Governments get on the phones and inform each and every tax-payer what is really going on… and just where all this money is going…

This can’t continue… In my opinion… Of Course…

Bill…

And on top of that, we need more affordable cars. I sure as #### am not putting down 20k for a car. My cutoff is 10k, no more than that.

Hehehe…

Good one… I told my car salesman I couldn’t afford to pay him any less than $200.00 and… that included taxes…

Guess what I got? A motorized Scooter… lol… :p

Sorry guys… I’m makeing an attempt at being Smart AgaiN…

Bill…

also…
I sure feel safer in my 82 GMC than my wifes Nissan maxima. Granted the 8 mpg is a drag. I hit a deer in that truck one time, going 55mph, not a single dent. A small crack about 1" long on the plastic grill cover. I love my old truck even though I stopped pumping when I hit $80.00 :( Maybe they should start putting defribulators on the side of the pumps :D

Quote (woxnerw @ Sep. 01 2005,15:11)
Hehehe..

Good one.. I told my car salesman I couldn't afford to pay him any less than $200.00 and.. that included taxes..

Guess what I got? A motorized Scooter.. lol.. :p

Sorry guys.. I'm makeing an attempt at being *Smart* AgaiN..

Bill..

My nephew got one of those scooters and it broke 3 days later. Remeber Bill, if you are charging that scooter with electrical current, your still using energy and if it is battery powered then the waste that is generated from the battery production is not environmentally friendly ??? :p

I figured it was my turn to be "smart" :D :D