Hey Mr Soul, here's an odd case

how often does this happen?

In a ruling yesterday (Gonzales v. Raich, 03-1454) the US SC ruled that people using medical marajuana on a doctor’s recommendation (in this case under California’s Comapssionate Use Act) can be prosecuted under Federal drug law, the Controlled Substances Act.

But look at who dissented, arguing that it is a matter of states rights - O’Connor, Rhenquist, and Thomas. And who wrote the majority opinion? Stevens!

I bet idover would agree that this shows how one form of conservativism (Rhenquist) can easily end up on the opposite side of another kind (Rhenquist’s, e.g.) :)

What was Stevens thinking?

Yeah - I followed that case a little bit and found the dissenters an interesting bunch. Too bad they had dissented in Bush vs. Gore - another State’s rights issue.

I personally think that pot should be legalized for pleasure, not for medicinal purposes. I don’t think that smoking pot would cure any of my ailments :laugh:

legalize! :D

remember now, i am a libertarian… and all that we want is for everyone to get high!.. drugs forever! stoners rule!

where’s the emoticon for sarcasm?

ike

Seriously - it’s stupid to keep marijuana (and other drugs) illegal IMO. I agree with William F. Buckley on this one.

Seriously - you can’t be serious. Let the dopers legally entice and wreck our kids lives with that crap? Come on man, THAT is being stupid!

TG

Seriously, what might happen if marijuana was legal (and regulated by the government like alcohol);

1. It would be sold only to adults.
A. Kids would still be able to get a hold of it if they really wanted to… just like now except they wouldn’t go to jail for a joint.

2. The huge drug business that revolves around pot sales would be killed and many drug dealers would be driven out of business.

3. The government could tax the sale of marijuana to support those with real drug problems (like heroin, alcohol and cigarette addiction)

4. Marijuana quality could be regulated so that no one would be buying tainted weed.

5. Parents would have to take responsibility for their kids actions and teach them moral values in line with their own.

6. The overwhelming burden to the prison system from pot “users” would lighten and lower your tax burden.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Seriously - you can’t be serious. Let the dopers legally entice and wreck our kids lives with that crap? Come on man, THAT is being stupid!

TG, if you don’t think that is going on right now, then you are being a bit niave’. The fact is that if it were controlled and sold legally, kids would have no reason to be hanging with the drug dealers to begin with. Sure, they would be able to find a friend that got some out of her Dad’s stash, but the dealer (friend) would not be carrying a gun and other more dangerous “fun drugs”.

Imagine the amount of money the government could make from selling pot. Just this alone could pay for your tax breaks, create jobs, and help pay down the deficit. Not to mention the huge amount of money that could be saved by stopping this particular battle in the “war on drugs”. Who knows, maybe some of the thousands of people who work each year to stop pot use could be reallocated to the war on domestic terrorism.

Now where is that sarcastic smiley face?

Oh yeah, I don’t need it.

Mike
Quote (gtr4him @ June 07 2005,22:10)
Seriously - you can't be serious. Let the dopers legally entice and wreck our kids lives with that crap? Come on man, THAT is being stupid!

TG

It's not marijuana that would wreck your kids lives, it's the social circles that they would be forced to interact within if they decided that they wanted some. The situation is only like that because it's illegal.

Making marijuana openly available would enable them to buy it from friendly and safe sources.
Quote (gtr4him @ June 07 2005,22:10)
Seriously - you can't be serious. Let the dopers legally entice and wreck our kids lives with that crap?

What?!?

Pink Floyd has been getting away with this for years.

:D

TG - the war on drugs isn’t working. If we legalized these drugs, then we could educate people on their harmful effects, and we could remove the black market. It’s the lesser of two evils.

Look at what happened during Prohibition. Now it’s true that overall drinking did go down but the black market flourished.