Hiked into a volcano crater this weekend

Amboy, California

Amboy.

Actually, it was a cinder cone but it was cool (and fun). What was really neat was looking at the lava flow, which covers 43.5 sq miles, because you can see it very well from the top of the cone (246 ft high).

Mike

That’s a cool experience for you. A couple of years ago I got to tour the Capulin National Monument in northeast New Mexico and really enjoyed that a lot.

Capulin Volcano

Wow your still in Cali. ? You definilty are livin’ the life Mike! It’s probably what, 10degrees F, in Maine?
You lucky ducky!
Too bad you don’t have that volcano in Maine to keep you warm when you get back! tee hee.
I’m in PA in it’s as cold as witches tit, they said it went up to 50 today, but I didn’t feel it!
BTW, I did mean it as a compliment when I said you sound like the Beatles, how could anyone say that and mean it in a bad way? Then again, I’ve seen stranger mis-interpritations in online forums…LOL!

:blues:

Wow your still in Cali. ? You definilty are livin' the life Mike! It's probably what, 10degrees F, in Maine?

Actually it was almost up to 60 in Maine this last weekend (I call my folks every weekend).

It's actually been "cold" in So. CA recently. The next town over from me got a foot of snow last week. However, 2 weeks ago it was in the 70's (eat your heart out!). December is the coldest month here. By January, it starts warming up again (80's on some days) & I mowing the lawn by March (EYHO again :laugh: ).

Mike

PS - the Amboy crater was active fairly recently, i.e., approx. 6000 years ago - you know when the earth was just created . :laugh: Whereas, Capulin Volcano formed approximately 60,000 years ago.
Quote (Mr Soul @ Nov. 29 2004,18:13)
Actually it was almost up to 60 in Maine this last weekend (I call my folks every weekend).

Wow you really are quite the humanitarian.
I can only bear to call my Mother once a month if that,
she could talk the ears off a wooden indian!
You know someone talks too much if you start getting a heat rash on your ear!
I love her and all but Geeeezzze Loueeeze! hang it up already mom!

My parent’s are in their 80’s - they won’t be with me forever. My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge as barely an adult, yet he lives & prospers. I’m blessed to have them around - I know some many my age who’ve lost theirs.

That’s really cool Mike, volcanoes are fascinating, especially active ones. It’s really great to see geography that’s actually doing something instead of just apathetically lying around. :D

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Mt St Helens? Wasn’t that going to blow up again?

Or was that just more of the pre-election hype? :laugh:

Ali

Or was that just more of the pre-election hype?
It was staged to divert our attention from bin Laden. When bin Laden realized everyone was watching the mountain, he released his tape :laugh:

You’re Mr Soul now?

Ach well, all these different people must be fun for your wife at least! :D

Anyway, speaking of Mt St Helens…

Did you know that beauty is measured in milli-Helens?

i.e., the amount of beauty it takes to launch one ship. :laugh:

Ali

Yep that’s me - Mr Soul. Someone started calling me this recently & it stuck!