hione more noob question

aux and group channels

hi
sorry but i have one more noob question that is holding me back from getting productive with n-track. Basically, i have, say 20 tracks. Say, 5 guitar, 5 vocals and 10 drums. I want to have a fader that controlls all guitars, all vocals, and all drums. and i want a fader that controls everything.

I tried using aux channels, but i can’t figure out how to send anything to them, nor, more importantly how to send them to an output.

I also tried group channels, but apparantly you can’t send a group to another group. I want a group that has all other groups sent to it called “MASTER” so if i want to change the outs for every channel (say, from my monitors which are connected to main outs, to my heahphone amp, which is connected to analog1-2), i can simply change the output on this MASTER channel insted of going through and changing out the outputs an all channels.

Does that problem make sense? did i explain it clearly? What do you guys do when you want to run an entire mix to a different output? do you change all of the tracks? taht is annoying.

thanks fro any help.

I’m not in front of n-track right now, but you can bring up master channels on the mixer by selecting them from the right-click menu. Then just route your tracks to groups and your groups to the master faders.

Ta
John

As far as I know you can send group(s) to another group(s).
I’d just tried now and worked fine
Regards,

If I remember correctly, there was an issue where you could route groups that you had already created to new groups, but you couldn’t route new groups to groups that you had already created - or something like that.

Quote (jmccullo @ Aug. 16 2006,11:31)
If I remember correctly, there was an issue where you could route groups that you had already created to new groups, but you couldn't route new groups to groups that you had already created - or something like that.

Yes, I run into that all of the time. :(

Right now I automate all of the levels per track. It's more work, but it works.

oh so that is an actual bug/issue, and its not just me then? i hope that is fixed in v5.

i think maybe i’ll just try setting up a template with all the groups routed properly before i start any more projects.

Quote (jmccullo @ Aug. 16 2006,11:31)
If I remember correctly, there was an issue where you could route groups that you had already created to new groups, but you couldn't route new groups to groups that you had already created - or something like that.

Meaning that if you have routed 2 Groups to a new Group (i.e., a "Group" Group :p ), you can't now add tracks or a new Group down a level to one of the original 2 Groups?

Yes?... Don't mean to be ridiculous, but hey, things change on-the-fly sometimes when you're mixing. Running into an issue can screw up your creative process!

Someone will end this in a minute...

I’ve just checked and what is was was that you can route a group to a higher group but you can’t route a higher group to a lower group. e.g. you can route group 3 to group 4, but you can’t route group 4 to group 3, only to group 5 and above. I put this through as a bug yonks ago and Flavio said he would fix it some time, but it meant a major re-write of how the mixer app works.

hey, thanks for testing that and coming up with an explanation. i think i can work around it with some proper planning now. i hope it is fixed in the future though.

Maybe v5.x…? Thanks jmc.

oh, another thing i don’t like, related to this features is that, even when you rename a group, it still says “gropu x” in the dropdown menu to reroute audio tracks. I have 6 groups and it is hard to remember which one is which. it would be cool if the the new names for the groups showed up everywhere.

Quote (minn @ Aug. 20 2006,16:30)
oh, another thing i don't like, related to this features is that, even when you rename a group, it still says "gropu x" in the dropdown menu to reroute audio tracks. I have 6 groups and it is hard to remember which one is which. it would be cool if the the new names for the groups showed up everywhere.

Yeah, this ought to happen.