Hollywood (Instrumental) 2008

LandB Productions Last Project

Hi n-Track Members:

I’ve been working on a Project Mix for these last few weeks…
It’s the last project we work on together before he left us…
The concept-and-tracks began back in 2002 and tracking (of the first song) began in September of 2003…
It was the first song of an Instrumental Project that was gonna take until Christmas of 2003, that’s if everything fell together as it was planned…

LandB Productions Hollywood (Instrumental) last song

However, things never work out as planned…
We were gonna have Art McAullay do the Guitar traks on the project…
Then, he fell ill and left us…
Bill Guest (the Fiddle Player) and I are who remain…

Bill…

That’s quite beautiful, Bill.

Yes, Bill, it’s very well done. I love steel guitar, it’s a fascinating instrument that has its own soul, much like a saxophone does :)

Is this an original composition, or a cover? it greatly reminds me of the Country and Western of the mid 1900’s

Hi All:

There are many Steel Guitar Players that have done Instrumental Projects… They create their versions of the songs that they do as musicians on the stages they worked on and with the fronts they toured with…

I believe, this is a Cover-of-a-Cover… :)
Leonard’s mind musically begins in the late-to-mid '50’s…

Leonard was so traditional…
The music he did had to be arranged according to a recipe and followed to a disipline…

We had planned to do this project on the Tascam 38 1/2" tape machine…
Then , I worked up the Lexicon CORE-32 hardware and we changed our ideas of doing the project on a P-4 Intel machine using n-Track as the Editor…
The version was in-and-around v4, I think…
However, there was much latency with the Computer Hardware that had to be compensated for…

If there were only Dual and Quad core computers then…

Anyway, that’s about all of the
tracks that are easy to find from earlier times… I still have a bunch of Drives hanging around to sift through…

I’m not sure if I located all of the tracks to this project…
????

Bill…

The quality of the recording and the mix is outstanding. It’s crisp. Excellent.

As I was listening I got to the point in the song where it resolves and immediately it made me think of Hank Williams Sr. You guys sound like you could have been his backing band. Listening to this makes want to dig out H.W. Sr.'s “Window Shoppin”.

You got any more of this? I’d like to hear some more.

I worked on this stage for a short while…
However, Loenard worked on this stage for 12-15 years…
Both Leonard and the front guy are not with us now…
… sigh…

If we didn’t cover Hank Williams material we wouldn’t get much work, in the places we played…
It was Hank Williams that set the standards that many Bar Rooms and Legion Halls still keep the original members returning… Well,
At least around here…
Leonard grew up with that music…
I’m only 23 years old…
:)
:laugh:
I have so much to learn…

This was done live, on Boxing Day 1996…
It’s all just a memory, now…

Bill…

Very cool Bill! :agree:

UJ

Great stuff Bill. So is that you on bass on this?

What are you using there for reverb? I like the sound of it.

Mark

Quote: (woxnerw @ Dec. 21 2010, 4:10 AM)

I worked on this stage for a short while..
However, Loenard worked on this stage for 12-15 years..
Both Leonard and the front guy are not with us now..
... sigh...

If we didn't cover Hank Williams material we wouldn't get much work, in the places we played..
It was Hank Williams that set the standards that many Bar Rooms and Legion Halls still keep the original members returning.. Well,
At least around here..
Leonard grew up with that music..
I'm only 23 years old..
I have so much to learn..

This was done live, on Boxing Day 1996..
It's all just a memory, now..

Bill..

Hey, you must have some great memories there Bill.

So there's a few Peavey amps there on that backline.

And can you explain that bass note at around 2.23? :whistle:

Great stuff. The band are so tight, and it sounds superb.

Got any more to share?

AaHh…
You heard that…
We play to tight times…
We would normally lengthen the song for a stage play list song…
However, we changed the the verse/bridge combination to shorten the time…
I’ll stick with that till my nose bleeds…
:p

It comes from not paying attention to what’s going on in the song and watching what’s going on, behind the cameras instead of listening to Leonard and the drummer…

That stage had two front guys…
Donny MacKinnon would normally play a Strat Guitar and the other front played Acoustic Guitar… However, he wasn’t available to do that Morning Show…

I enjoyed the other song Donny did that morning…
Water Under the Bridge…
There’s no substitute to doing live TV…

I was so fortunate to play with the greatest local players in these parts, and and not have to spend very much time on the road…
We played 7 nights a week…

Bill…

Ya know, you have to edit-and-mix projects all the time to keep your finger in the mud… As time passes I have no one interested in doing this stuff anymore… I have no one to bounce the ideas off of, anymore… Actually, in the original LandB Studio I did most of the tracking while Leonard did the mixing… Ho was an AKG 240 Headphone kind of guy… I couldn’t use Headphones for any longer than to capture the tracks… Then, they had to go… Many times when we did vocal tracks we didn’t even use headphones… We did many vocal tracks with the Yorkies powered up… Maybe, that’s why or vocal tracks were so bad… ???? :) :laugh:

Back when we tracked this project, I wanted Leonard and Bill Guest to come back and re-take their tracks… However, both Leonard and Bill are ONE-Tack kind of players… They showed no interest in wanting to come in and retake their tracks… ONE-Take Guys are ONE-Take Guys… That’s it… You had better capture it the first time… Art McAullay, the guitar player was a different type of player… He did it till he got it right… He was an n-Track user back then, I believe… However, he fell ill (like Leonard and Donny) and just faded away… sigh…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Dec. 21 2010, 9:42 AM)

AaHh..
You heard that..
We play to tight times..
We would normally lengthen the song for a stage play list song..
However, we changed the the verse/bridge combination to shorten the time..
I'll stick with that till my nose bleeds..
:p

Yeah, I can hear that bridge/verse thing. I know what you mean. Easily done when you've been playing a song the same way for many years.

When I think back, Donny had a way to keep the stage new when we did TV Appearances by calling songs that we never did…
I don’t ever recall doing that song on that stage…

We (Leonard and I) may have done that song on other stages… That’s what was so fresh about working on Donny’s Stage… He was known for surprising his audiences by doing things like that…
That’s why Leonard liked sticking to the “Recipe Arraignment” as-it-were…

AaHh…
Leonard…

Bill…

This is great bill, i liked the instrumental but when i saw you guys playing on that youtube clip in them blue shirts i loved it all & you with your big smile were the best… i dont know how you can say you always stayed in the shadows you were the one who looked most at home on that stage!
the granpa express would have been a great name!

Ya can’t hide when your in front of the cameras… I used to do a lot of that when we played the bar rooms… I can remember the first song being counted in… Then after the last song, when I’d turn the amp off… most nights it was just a blur, in between… I have no idea where all the time went…

Bill…