Homes may be 'taken' for private projects

This is terrible

Justices: Local governments can give OK if it’s for public good

"WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that local governments may seize people’s homes and businesses — even against their will — for private economic development."

I’m with O’Connor, Rehnquist, Scalia and Thomas on this one.

mr. spade posted this as well… and i agree with you mike, this is not good for America…

isaac

If those developers want that land SO bad, why do they not wave a huge bundle of cash under the owners noses and present their case that the development would benefit the entire community? Oh. I guess it’s cheaper to have the government STEAL it for them… :angry:

I know one guy said he wasn’t moving at ANY price… that’s BS. Everybody has a price.

TG

Quote (Mr Soul @ June 23 2005,11:59)
I’m with O’Connor, Rehnquist, Scalia and Thomas on this one.

My new signature line…thanks mike!

This is a sad decision.
I read the brief…it is indefensible.

PB

Yep, I did post this too, score one for the conservatives I’d say. Despicable. Interesting we’ve found some common ground here. :)

We were just talking about this at work… How in the he11 does something like this slip through?!? I can see eminent domain when it comes to public projects (roads, etc…), but to steal someone’s property at “reduced government prices” instead of forcing the developer to pay fair market value so that some good 'ole boy can build a shopping mall is just plain criminal.

:angry:

Tom - you’re going to have to read the Court’s decision & explain it to us.

Well, well… look who’s talkin now… Talking head? Opportunist? Or just good ol’ guy? ???

TG

Quote (TomS @ June 23 2005,15:08)
Yep, I did post this too, score one for the conservatives I’d say. Despicable. Interesting we’ve found some common ground here. :)

I really don’t think this was a conservative only ruling. In fact, I think the liberal judges mostly ruled for this. I can only guess at what they thought they could see for the future with their heads so far up their asses.

As far a Tom DeLay shouting out early, it’s a great move for him. This is one issue many people can get behind. If I were Karl Rove, I would tell the Pres. to jump on this one too.

I read the decision and it seems like the “Justices” thought this was a good idea for New London. But to make such a huge decision that will effect the entire country just cause it might help one town is plain short-sighted. Again, can’t see much with head up the ass.

This one won’t last long…

Mike
Quote (gtr4him @ June 30 2005,22:32)
Well, well..... look who's talkin now........ Talking head? Opportunist? Or just good ol' guy? ???

TG

In this case I'm pretty sure that he really and sincerely believes what he is saying. It's also politicaly a no-brainer.
Quote (TomS @ July 01 2005,09:09)
In this case I'm pretty sure that he really and sincerely believes what he is saying. It's also politicaly a no-brainer.

Yep. That I can agree with...... a case of a politician being a politician.......

TG