Hopefully Simple To Fix

Clicks/Skips

System Stats:

3.2ghz P4, 512mb ram, Audiophile 24/96 PCI slot version, running Ntracks at 24 bit 96khz with Asio drivers

My problem is when I record I’m getting clicks every few bars and sometimes only half way through. When I zoom in on the wave form the “clicks” appear as sideways Z sorta rather then a nice smoother waveform.

So what can I do? The occassional click is ok because thats easy to edit… but every few bars leaves for an edited project that kills time and stales out the music by so many edits. Good performance during recording… bad recording because of clicks!

I’m pretty sure the only thing running is Ntracks and all the other tracks I’m playing back while recording are frozen. Increase of sample rate perhaps? Please save me from an editing nightmare!

Classic example of what I call “dropouts” – rather different than the analog phenomenon, but the same basic problem: you’re losing some of the input (or, in some cases, output) data.

The first thing to try is increasing buffering. Hopefully that’s the solution, and it just means that your computer can’t quite keep up with the incoming audio data at your latency setting. Try first at the very longest latency (most buffering) setting your ASIO driver permits. Also, just to be safe, go to n-Track buffering settings and choose “Revert to default”. If the problem goes away (and be sure to record a full length track), then this is good.

Another thing to try is WDM drivers, and if no help there, then MME. You should be able to use the default buffering settings.

I believe there are a few other settings that can affect this, like “process in driver’s thread”, via the hammer under the meters. And possibly, “Keep devices open”, and the one about resync near there. Hopefully other folks will post helpful things to try. Ah, yes: be sure you’ve unchecked both “use system timer” boxes in “Options”. Not sure that’s significant here, but it’s worth a try.

If none of these help, then you have a deeper problem that might be hard to resolve. (I have such a problem these days, and I’m convinced it’s due to all the stuff my employer downloads automatically onto my [their] computer in the middle of the night.)

Another possibility is some software running on your computer that you’re not aware of. Tell us what OS you’re running for more help on that.

If a high latency setting cures the problem (or shifting to the other drivers), then if you need/want low latency, the next step is to see how low a latency you can configure without getting dropouts. If you need a lower latency than you can get, let us know and we can help on the next steps.

Ill try those in the morning. Im running Win XP, but I’ve got AdAware, Spyware Blaster, Xp-AntiSpy etc etc as well as numerous cookie blockers etc… and of course a working virus scanner

That helps to keep malicious software from running. But lots of that software can also steal precious CPU cycles, blocking n-Track from running. In particular, some virus scanners work overtime trying to read all the WAVE file data you’re writing. Try disabling virus scanning while recording. It’s a common cause of trouble.

So far seems ok, but on recording some vocals discovered the acoustics of my flats sounds like penis (thats a bad thing).