How about today?

:slight_smile:

Well, the drummer and bass player came over. They are very, very talented. It was really cool.

The flute mic on the snare drum sounded awesome, until he hit the drum too hard and it distorted. But with two EV Cardinals as overheads, and the Audix D6 on the kick, the drums sounded very much like Big Star period drums. Which is exactly the goal. I also discovered that playing with drum machines for the last n-years resulted in a certain inability to swing very well on my part, but I just bashed the guitar harder and that seemed to help. It was also very interesting hearing which songs worked with the others’ personalities and styles, and which did not. They agreed to putting together a set and getting the occasional gig. Perfect! Nice to find folks who are my age who can really, really play, and who like the songs. So I’m going to set up a gig at our next union mixer, for a couple of months hence, and have some fun. Make some recordings. Now, if I could only find a good keyboard player, someone who knows how to make a B3 sing…

:agree:

We’re all waiting for you guys to record your rehearsals…
Seeing how you come together…
How fortunate you are, to find some guys with like musical minds…
Get that play list together…
Rattle us off some songs…

OoHh Yea… Get your wife to come up with some flute instrumentals… add em to the play list…

Bill…

Good for you, Tom - enjoy.

I recorded everything we did today, although none of it is ready for prime time, obviously. :laugh:

More power to ya T dog,

it’s great to play with other musicians if you can find people you gel with,
I know what you mean about personalities and songs back when I gigged in bands we had three different drummers for that reason.
Honestly it is a tough market out their with the economy and all which is why I do the solo and duo stuff now, you can get into a lot of smaller venues, the insurance is cheaper and places are more willing to pay less for more (and I have to divide the money less ways) which means more income for yours truly).
under the right circumstances tho, which is what is sounds like you have, I would throw my hat in the rig with group of fellas.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Heh - these guys are all my age, more or less, and only want to do this for a hobby. We have day gigs for the mortgage! :agree:

Just need a keyboard player!

Go Ya Need a Mellotron Player… ???? :laugh:

Truth!!!

As I recall, there might have been two-or-three of them around here, in their heyday…
I saw them all for maintenance…
Most of the repairs were to re-attach the 3/8th inch tape when the tape loops broke from their mounting positions…
There was one that was plugged into a wrong voltage and the capstan motor pulse amplifier went up in smoke…I think that one came in from one of the touring Band Stages…

There was a real art to playing them, so they didn’t break the tape loops…

Bill…

I’ve never actually seen one in person!