How many inputs?

Simultaneous input recording.

I am considering the purchase of an 8-input 24-bit soundcard.

I recently put together an AMD 3200+ system with 1 GB RAM and an 80 GB SATA drive.

By your personal experiences, what is the maximum number of audio inputs could a similar system handle?

Thanks. :cool:

I have an AMD 2500+ system with 512 MB and an EMU 1820M. The system does not strain at all recording 16 inputs of straight audio.

TG

Thanks much. I’m sure I should be in good shape.

I’ve recorded 10 simultaneous tracks without problems, on a 1.8GHz laptop with 5400RMP drive.

MOBO/soundcard compatibility and system tuning (e.g., PCI latency) is much more of an issue than raw power or disk drive capability.

Quote (learjeff @ Feb. 04 2005,08:32)
MOBO/soundcard compatibility and system tuning (e.g., PCI latency) is much more of an issue than raw power or disk drive capability.

Pay attention to learJeff here. Especially since you are running an AMD box. Which Mobo do you have with what chipset? The VIA KT166 thru 266 chipsets gave a TON of audio recording buffs heartburn! My Athlon 2500+ is on an ASUS A7V600 mobo with the VIA KT600 chipset. Works like a dream. Keep in mind also that RECORDING the audio is less taxing on your system than playing back a buttload of tracks with VST/DX effects inserted. My box recording 16 tracks of straight audio is not even grunting. Mixing those 16 tracks down with reverb(s), compression, limiters, etc.... starts to put a load on it. It's held up great so far though. Seeing as you have an Athlon 3200+ it's a safe bet you DON'T have one of the funky chipsets.

The best thing is to do a BUNCH of research once you think you have your soundcard interface chosen. Most of the manufacturers have websites and many have forums. Browse 'em and sign up to ask questions. That's what I did and I have been a happy camper with my choice.

Got the PC and soundcard rigged up? Now go HERE and do all the tweaks to XP to get the most out of your system.

Good luck!

TG

I’m doing 12 tracks of 24/44 audio on a 2400+…