SP 3
V2002
AMD Athlon™64X2Dual
Core Processor5200+
2.71GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM
ECHO MIA MIDI

What d’you reckon? (32?)

What’s your score?

I’ve had up to 24 tracks/w/VST’s with the specs in sig.
Quad core/OC\ 4.0ghz\intel 920
WinXP pro 32bit

PACO

Midi or Audio tracks?

There is a difference… :)

I have done 16 audio (simultaneously) with a lesser system than yours Tony, mine is like 2.1Ghz 1024MG RAM. while playing ONE wav. file, so I guess that is 17…not real sure what you are asking, playing/with FX, or recording when you say how many tracks per song…

PS I did post some clips in the more midi more trouble thread.

keep shinin

jerm
:cool:

Great stuff, Jerm - I’ll grab a listen later.
Cheers Paco.
I’m working on one particular song that is a real ‘problem child’ - the one that I posted midi probs with a while back. 7 vst tracks and 25 audio/wav tracks. I know that sounds heavy but most of the tracks are short passages so n-T is probably only running ten wavs at any one time in the song. My cpu is floating at 30% but spiking out into the red occasionally. I’ve rebuilt the song several times and the build I’m working on at the mo’ is all wav (converted all midi tracks). The main prob I’m having ‘now’ is; I can’t move sections around or close n-T without a system crash.
Any thoughts?

So you are talking
about how many tracks you can play at a time, not record at the same time.

Back to your problem…
When I was but a lad I had a very slow old computer…and ran into this problem quiet frequently when my track count went over 20 or so (even short tracks) and many VST’s…
How I got around it was doing a series of submixes.
I would mix the bass, drums, in one mix trying to get the balance just right (a whole bunch of smaller “clips” down to ONE track and save that song track file, then I would take that mixdown and use it to add the other instruments too…(saving that song file as well) then onto the next “additions” I needed mixed in. If I got a few mixes down the line and thought “the bass should be louder” I would do a mix without the bass and drums but with the other instruments and bring that submix back to the earlier mix I was working on the bass and drums on.

I know this is the slow boat to China but it was part of my daily routine in the 90’s when I could not do as many tracks at once that I had to.

keep shinin

jerm
:cool:

Quote: (TonyR @ Apr. 12 2010, 4:10 AM)

Great stuff, Jerm - I'll grab a listen later.
Cheers Paco.
I'm working on one particular song that is a real 'problem child' - the one that I posted midi probs with a while back. 7 vst tracks and 25 audio/wav tracks. I know that sounds heavy but most of the tracks are short passages so n-T is probably only running ten wavs at any one time in the song. My cpu is floating at 30% but spiking out into the red occasionally. I've rebuilt the song several times and the build I'm working on at the mo' is all wav (converted all midi tracks). The main prob I'm having 'now' is; I can't move sections around or close n-T without a system crash.
Any thoughts?

I've run into similar problems with the CPU getting pinned at 100% and the cause was a VST that seemed to just take up at the resources. I've found through my own experience that using a 3rd party VST chainer like Vstack and recording the processed audio into N-track would free up n-track to just play the processed audio. Since I use ASIO4ALL, I do come across issues when the audio will chop at first, because the icon for the ASIO4ALL would blink (loading buffers). However I simply just wait a few seconds, usually about 15 or 20 seconds till the icon stops flashing and then I'm good to go. I think piling on a lot of VST will cause problems in n-track but this will be due to the type of VST being used and how much resources the VST will use. Cheap older VST's seem to really suck up the CPU especially if it's being used on many tracks.

Now this is just me talking now, In the past I have relied on many VST's being used in n-track, but I have found that doing my best to record as clean as possible into n-track using 3rd party VST chainers is producing better sound for me. In most cases adding a little reverb and compression in n-track to complete the process. This comes in handy for me as final mastering with Ozone has loads of CPU power available because n-track is not clogged down with VST's running in the back ground. I'm able to master from the 24 tracks together as apposed to mixing the the 24 tracks down to a stereo file and then mastering it, the single stereo file, which is common practice. In doing it this way, mastering from 24 tracks, I'm able to make adjustments on the fly to any track during the mastering process, a big plus. I think as with any program, the more multi threading/vst's the more the main program will suffer. The better the system the more it can handle, so it's a matter of finding the correct balance between power and the number VST's it can handle. I think asking n-track to use 24 tracks of audio with each one using one or more vst's for each track maybe asking too much of the program. But thats just my opinion.

jeremysdemo suggestion is also another way to free resources up.

As far as your crashing issue, I would suggest backing everything up and do a clean install with the latest version.

Hope this helps

PACO

Cheers Paco, Jerm. That multi mastering sounds cool - I’ll look into that. Partly because it’s a great idea and partly because I hate having to commit to sub-mixes. Having said that, today I got a couple of hours without interuption and kind of did just ‘that’. Did a mix down of each track with most of the effects that I know I’ll want to keep in the final mix. ‘Hey presto’!!! 32 wav tracks, all still independent and cpu @ 10% and running like a sewing machine in a barrel of oil.

This has really picked me up because I want to add a few more vocals etc and I need to let this baby go.
:laugh:

(PS. Deep down, I blame one of the plugs, but finding the culprit would be a nightmare. Doubtless, it will rear it’s ugly head at some point, and I’ll be waiting, armed with my vst loppers.)