how often do you drink?

"Always remeber, that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."
-Winston Churchill
"I drink to make other people interesting"
-George Jean Nathan

"There are more old drunkards than old doctors"
-Benjamin Franklin

1 drink a day which isn’t on your poll.

Mr Soul

Mmmmmmm, beeer…

The Beer Song

.-=gp=-.

doescoffeecount
idrinkcoffeealldaylong
andgetreallybuzzed
butidontseeabuttonforcoffeedrinkers
whyareweleftout
doescoffeecount
idrinkcoffeealldaylong
andgetreallybuzzed
whyareweleftout
doescoffeecount
idrinkcoffeealldaylong
andgetreallybuzzed
whyareweleftout
doescoffeecount
idrinkcoffeealldaylong
andgetreallybuzzed
whyareweleftout
doescoffeecount
idrinkcoffeealldaylong
andgetreallybuzzed
whyareweleftout

I'm a tetotaler you insensitive jerk!

Well, that's me. But anyone wonder why I get more reaction from people by saying "I don't drink" than what I would if I was staggering around a room completely pissed off my nut saying things like "how about a root, love" to various great-aunts...
Quote (Willy @ Mar. 04 2005,14:26)
I'm a tetotaler you insensitive jerk!

Well, that's me. But anyone wonder why I get more reaction from people by saying "I don't drink" than what I would if I was staggering around a room completely pissed off my nut saying things like "how about a root, love" to various great-aunts...
No, I don't wonder at all Willy. Same thing happens to me. It's like it offends people that I don't drink. Other than the occasional wine with dinner at a fine restaraunt, I don't touch the "alcky-hall".

TG
It's like it offends people that I don't drink. Other than the occasional wine with dinner at a fine restaraunt, I don't touch the "alcky-hall".

I think there is a basic presupposition here that has not been defined. Some folks take "drink" to mean ingestion of alcohol for the purpose of drunkendness. I personally take drink to mean ingestion of alcohol period. I hate being drunk, but I do drink as TG described. A little wine with dinner here and there.
saying things like "how about a root, love" to various great-aunts...

I have to drink to *stop* myself from doing things like that.

I stopped drinking altogether 3 weeks ago. Also stopped smoking grass and drinking coffee. The wife also stopped smoking ciggies but i didnt have that problem. The coffee dependency only took about a week to get over. Grass was no problem at all. I’m still craving a beer at 4:00 PM (NOW !) everyday but the mornings are wonderful. Playing gigs in the bars has been torture, everybody’s got a beer except me. However it’s interesting to observe the bandmates’ gradual disintegration over the night from this detached perspective. I haven’t stopped forever, just having a detox for a couple of months. I don’t think I’ll go back to the big binge though. It was starting to hurt too much. Too many good friends going down with cancer lately, I’m convinced it’s all this excessive toxicity.

Quote (John @ Mar. 04 2005,15:43)
saying things like "how about a root, love" to various great-aunts...

I have to drink to *stop* myself from doing things like that.

Ewww.....THATS NASTY!!

kymarcus,

Good for you bud. Back off for a while and I'll bet you feel better and play better and who knows? You may ditch all that toxic stuff forever!

TG

phoo’s got a point…WHERE’S THE COFFEE BUTTON!

Don’t get me wrong guys, I’ve got no problem with people drinking for refreshment or to get smashed - that’s their preogative. But regardless of people’s general drinking habits, the reaction is the generally the same - “Why not?” - with varing amounts of surprise.

Willy.

The problem with drinking…

“You have been drinking Sir, and too intoxicated to drive!”
“Occifer,what makes I’m think you’re drunk?”
“Let me see your driver license Sir.”
“Let me shoot yer gun Occifer.” :p

Well I clicked on the “drunk right now” cause I just happen to be checking the board after a night out.

Most times I check the bpard though are at work so would normally be clicking somewhere between couple of drinks a day and few drinks a week.

Most but now all days I’ll have a beer or 2 with dinner and sometimes quite a few if I happen to be having dinner out with friends (especially if at the pub)

I brew my own beer too so is quite easy for me to have a couple of beers with dinner and quite often friends will come around to sample my latst batch

I do find that I’m getting a bit older these days and don’t recover the next day as quickly or easily as I used to…

I voted the ‘couple a day’ option, but that couple has been six cans a day for about the last 8 years (a little less before that because I was skint.

Since I just reached 30 I had planned to cut down a bit. That has gone well in the way that I no longer touch spirits out of the pub (they are so expensive in the UK that it ends up meaning something like a bottle a month). The problem is since my spirits drought I am getting used to downing a can of beer a lot quicker so 6 became 7 sometimes 8. I remember with accuracy the exceptions for at least the last six or so years. That’s two nights in hospital (sober bone breakage related) and one night with such a bad cold that I quit and slept after two cans.

I am sure I should cut down significantly soon… but I have to be honest in saying that the only reason for this is because that’s what everyone says you must do. I am sure there are negative health effects that will go with it, but I just am not aware of any right now (with the possible exception of rarely solid ahem ‘movements’, but I suspect I might have a bit of IBS going on so it’s not definately related).

This probably would sound like a list of excuses to so many… but aside from just knowing you aren’t supposed to drink that much I just don’t see it as a problem at least for now. I have a job which I hardly like… but it pays ok and will have plenty of chance for advacement if I actually decide I want to go further into managment (not my thing right now). Family life is all great… but I have to admit always being pretty hammered is not helpful in getting a good relationship with the opposite sex together.

I am out and about with friends two nights a week most times… and aside from that it’s me up in the loft with bass, guitar, a couple of mics and n-track on the laptop. That’s pretty much what I do when not working… so as long as I am still productive I am pretty happy.

The only real down side that I have to admit to is that my playing most often starts to suffer for the last hour or maybe two of each evening. I also know that when I have all the material I want to play and start to gig with my band… I will not at all enjoy having to drive me and gear along to venues and the dreaded staying sober that will go with it. I will most likely have to plan my days so I can still afford at least three hours to sink a few cans when I do get home.

Come to think of it… another downside is getting up and wanting to work out but often having to wait for the head to clear first.

Ooops… I have gone on a bit there. Good job I posted while on the days first can… or you would have got ‘beer rocks’ out of me, and nothing more constructive than that. :wink:

Cheers

Honesty - pure simple honesty…how refreshing.

It does seem a little bit excessive to me - but that’s just me. Your life, your needs - go with God.

Razorback, I know what you mean, beer and making music just go together well. It’s real hard to seperate it. I’m still in the process…

Hello, as you can probably tell, I haven’t posted her in a looong while…

How fitting I should comment in this thread.

I’m in razorbacks boat also, and whole-heartedly about the complication of seperating alcohol and music…