how should I set up new HD?

Hey guys;

I’m waiting on a 160 meg ATA133 HD. Here’s what it’s got to coexist with:

16x DVD rom
4x4x24 CD burner
40 gig ATA133 HD

I was thinking about putting both HDs on the same channel to take advantage of the higher transfer rate of ATA133. I’m thinking at the moment that the 160gig will be the system disc and the 40gig will be strictly to record on. Or would putting the HDs on separate channels give better performance (I know that used to be an issue, don’t know if it still is)? I’m using Windows 2K.

Thanks

I have both my hard drives on the same channel (Primary IDE) and don’t have any problems. The main reason I did that though is despite many, many attempts, my two optical drives refused to live on the same channel as either of my hard disks. I never figured out why… jumper settings, BIOS settings cussing ‘em, threatening them with bodily harm etc… NOTHING worked. SO, they got their own freakin’ channel all to themselves. (Stubborn SOB’s!) :D

D

PS I’m running XP Pro.

PPS Oh and since you are running W2K, format 'em NTFS. Less fragmentation and more robust file integrity/error checking/“self-healing” IMO.

Eyup!

General consensus of opinion is to have your audio recording drive separate from your system drive (like you propose) and set it as a MASTER.
My setup is like this:

Primary Master: 4 gig drive containing operating system only
Primary Slave: 80 gig drive for programs and other data
Secondary Master: 6 gig drive Audio only
Secondary Slave: CD burner

Steve

Hey Steve?

Wanna have a go and these two dang optical drives o’ mine? LOL!

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

General consensus of opinion is to have your audio recording drive separate from your system drive (like you propose) and set it as a MASTER

Hmm… That’s not really an option for me, as the system drive will have to be the master (won’t it?), which leaves me the option of either slaving the recording drive on the primary IDE or mixing it up with the opticals.

Which would be better?

Thanks for the replies so far.

I use :
Primary:
40 gig master (software)
300 gig slave (data)
Secondary:
CD master (player only)
DVD slave (burner)
Back in the day (a few years ago) there was concern that you shouldn’t put CD’s on the same ribbon. IMO, I think that point has become less important with the increase in RAM capabilities and the faster HD’s.

cliff
:cool:

XP Home - SP2

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey Steve?

Wanna have a go and these two dang optical drives o’ mine? LOL!

I had a similar problem a few years ago with two hard drives, one stubbornly refused to be a slave, so I couldn’t put them on the same IDE channel.
Dunno about your optical drives tho’ D.
Sometimes optical (and removable) drives decide they want a specific drive letter, and if that letter is already allocated (say if you have two hard drives C: and D:) the optical drive wants to be D: but can’t because that letter is already used, so it ends up NOT being listed in windows explorer.
The drive is actually “there” but hidden. You have to open up the disk manager and manually allocate it a letter. Then it’s quite happy.
I always allocate drive letters manually to any optical drive, so that in case I add more hard drives, the letter does not change.
My CD writer is always allocated "R"
Just right-click on “MY Computer” choose “Manage” and then "Disk Management"
Right-Click on the drive you want to manage and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

I think Cliff has a point though, it does seem to be less important with fast drives and faster processors.
My “new” pc is still only a PIII 933, so I have to do what I can to maximise it’s potential :D

Steve

Hmmm… hadn’t thought of manual drive letter mapping… might give that a shot.

Thanks!

D