How to assign sounds ot midi drums

when inporting files made in other progm

Add your midi file to nTrack
right click on tk and output to your instrament and load your kit.
click on the painoroll icon.
expand track to read text on the left of tracks.
on anyone of the text names click to open the dialog box.
choose numbers, and have a note pad handy.
take any note from any track and put it up near the beginning of the time line.
highlight and loop a clear small section where only this note will play.
Move the note up and down and write down what numbers play what sounds.

now close nTrack and don’t save.
This action will put your note back in place.
Reopen, add your track, output to your instrment and click on paino roll again.
open the paino roll and choose typical midi drums there at the top of the list.
This should tell you what your tracks are supposed to be playing.
now simply highlight a track (drum) and move it to the corresponding number for that hit.
toggling between names and numbers.
Takes a few mins.
And save it.
You can mix down while playing if you want to create a wav file for futher editing.
There could be an easier way. This is a way I gust figured out a few mins ago.
Hope it helps :agree:

Wondering if you could simply number your samples or dums say 70.w a v etc. ?

open NTD - click on the E next to a pad - new box opens - box has three displays at the top (low - centre - high)- click IN the centre box text - the MIDI note number will now show -

change the number in ALL of the boxs to change the drum played -

M.R.

Thx Magic,

Does one have to do that each time or can those changes be saved in nDrummer?
And would that affect what drums are hit when using another vsti drummer?

You can save the kit - which will save your settings. But I guess you would need some kind of naming convention (or a .txt file) so you know what the settings are for each kit.

Hi 7’,
Magic’s suggestion only allows you to see the drum number, it can’t be changed there by changing that number.
You can cange the drum for that pad but to get it to corrispond to the drums played in another program well.
Really if you don’t write the drums in nDrummer or use beats from your program but import a midi drum file from another prog, you really have to change the position of the drum line like in my long winded explanation at the top of this thread.
(I mean track within the midi track.
Like each hit is on a line inside the midi track.
The lines you see are one drum.
You move the drum line to the desired drum line number).
I guess that makes a little more sense. Anyway you guys are used to the panio roll.
This is for newBs really.

At least there is a way to do it!
It does take 15 or 20 mins if you have to search out the beat sounds first.
I’ll post the drum numbers (beat sounds) when I get a chance.
What numbers for what drums. I have to make noise while the sun is up :wink:
What I found amazing is when you go through all the numbers you’ll find a variety of sounds for the snare, toms, kicks, cymbols.
There is more there than you would expect to find.
Then you have to move the drum line on the midi track to the desired drum line number. It’s a little confusing untill you start messing with it.

Levi - go here and print out or save as html or whatever

http://midistudio.com/Help/GMSpecs_PercMap.htm

That’s the GM standard. NTD by default is set to the GM standard -kick on 36, snare on 38 etc. If your midi files are non GM standard, then yeh you’ll have to edit the trigger note by dragging, or change the map (which is what Rabbit was talking about) in NTD.
That’s what I was talking about earlier trying to map EZ to GM. That’s where the midi-disasembler program can make it easier than dragging stuff all around.

Hey 7o’11?

Did you ever see if you had the free EZPlayer or not? I forget… you may have told me? Geez that thing is a HUGE time saver…

D

Yeh D - But maybe I am mistaken on it’s use. Are you saying that if I use it as a ‘librarian’ - and drag from there, that it maps to GM?

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Mar. 01 2009, 8:44 PM)

Levi - go here and print out or save as html or whatever

http://midistudio.com/Help/GMSpecs_PercMap.htm

That's the GM standard. NTD by default is set to the GM standard -kick on 36, snare on 38 etc. If your midi files are non GM standard, then yeh you'll have to edit the trigger note by dragging, or change the map (which is what Rabbit was talking about) in NTD.
That's what I was talking about earlier trying to map EZ to GM. That's where the midi-disasembler program can make it easier than dragging stuff all around.

Right, Thx!!!!

7, if you use my method for testing, you’ll find more drums available.
For instance; tom1 hot tom1 medium… there is a little more available than that gm standard list shows.

At second glance, looks like it’s showing everything!

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Mar. 01 2009, 8:50 PM)

Yeh D - But maybe I am mistaken on it's use. Are you saying that if I use it as a 'librarian' - and drag from there, that it maps to GM?

There are settings for what you're putting IN and what you are going OUT TO. I use it to automagically map GM MIDI drum files to EZD. As you are probably aware, due to articulation and layering issues, EZD is not directly GM compatible. EZPlayer remaps stuff for you.

BIAB exports GM drums. I import the file in, drop EZPlayer in front of EZD and make the appropriate settings and bada-bing. EZD plays GM BIAB MIDI drums. Sweet and simple. :agree:

D

doh - oooohhhhhh kaaaaayy Bring moe to the mountain. I shall investigate. thanx.

the pads in NTD can be set to any MIDI note - you alter the setting in ALL of the three boxs i mentioned BUT you have to press enter each time to permantly set it -

with the drum kits supplied with NTD one MIDI note can play two or more pads - this is how the drum sound is enhanced - it is better to clear out a drum kit and make up your own - add a sample to a pad then set the pad to the MIDI note you want to trigger that pad (as above) - save when done - if you want to use the MIDI track in other apps then import the track - export it with a NTD in the title - the original is now safe and the NTD version can be altered to suit -

M.R.

Quote: (Magic Rabbit @ Mar. 02 2009, 1:09 AM)

the pads in NTD can be set to any MIDI note - you alter the setting in ALL of the three boxs i mentioned BUT you have to press enter each time to permantly set it -

with the drum kits supplied with NTD one MIDI note can play two or more pads - this is how the drum sound is enhanced - it is better to clear out a drum kit and make up your own - add a sample to a pad then set the pad to the MIDI note you want to trigger that pad (as above) - save when done - if you want to use the MIDI track in other apps then import the track - export it with a NTD in the title - the original is now safe and the NTD version can be altered to suit -

M.R.

Thank you Magic! I'll say DX/nDrummer is a logical program, looks like all the bases where coverd. That's another great feature! :D