How to master a song

THis was very helpful LEvi

I have several RANE compressors I use at various stages of signal paths and the over all mix and really had no idea what to set them at…typically I would just keep moving nobs around until I thought it sounded better…
There are also several compressors built into various preamps I have…(mostly for vocals, Trident 4T, Joe Meek,) that I often hesitate to engage for that reason…
Likewise the compression in Ntrack, that is why I was so happy to see the “presets” in it for vocals, mastering, etc etc…

The last video was especially helpful…so lights are good…we like the pretty lights to go off and on…

keep shinin

jerm
:cool:

You are not using the comps in the trident or the meek? argh! :)

Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 18 2010, 2:28 PM)

You are not using the comps in the trident or the meek?
argh!
:)

Well, I lie, I do use them.........not saying I am using the correctly! probably should have said do not use them as often for that reason (the reason being my ignorance)

BTW the compressor on the meek is noisy (at least for recording) and very limited as to controlling it, it seems to work better as a gate/limiter than compressor, although again that could be a user error thing...watching the video's is helping at least to understand what each nob does.....

I also I have a Rane VP12 I use for live vocals that has a lot more nobs....much more than any of these videos so that is going to take a bit more to figure out.....de-esser and all that.....whatever that is! lol

Like I said I just keep moving them around till it sounds BETTER!

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Hi Jeremy I can relate. The vids help. I think the English cat in using compression. Really simplifies it to a point thats easy to remember. The visual image of the threshold coming down into play.

Do you have a screen shot of your compressor? Is there one on line that you can link to? I’d like to see it.

Any lesson works best when you apply it in practice. :agree:

Quote: (Levi @ Apr. 18 2010, 4:49 PM)

Do you have a screen shot of your compressor?
Is there one on line that you can link to?
I'd like to see it.

Here is the one I use with my Telefunken M-80:

I use this one for the main mix since it has a built in crossover:

This is the one I use on synths:

And then there is the Trident I use for back up vocals and occasional tracking, it's hard to see the compressor settings in this picture tho they are off on the left:

I usually use that with a vintage Beyerdynamic Condenser MCE 81, between that and the Telefunkem M-8/with Rane, the two have their own niches in the mix not having to much if any EQing....I can send BOTH of these signals through the same Reverb/delay effect and they come back completely different, which is good...still I would like to know a bit more about the compressors.

My lights actually work the opposite of the ones in the last video at least for the RANEs (my guess is it is cheap compressor in the vid) what happens is they LED's are always lit all the way across and when a signal begins to go through the some of the lights go out and come back as the incoming signal strength either stops or decreases, then again I could be using them wrong, but it sounds good the way I have it set up and people here say they make good recordings the way they are set up.....

and THEN there's the whole issue of EQing! ......All these things have NOTCHES! buttons that do this and that various knobs...I am just terrified to even try them.

keep shinin

Wow, Jeremy, you gots you some nice things there. I’m surprised the Meek is noisy. Let me know if you ever want to sell it. :)

Quote: (TomS @ Apr. 18 2010, 8:04 PM)

Wow, Jeremy, you gots you some nice things there.
I'm surprised the Meek is noisy.
Let me know if you ever want to sell it.
:)

Well....in it's defense it is only noisy depending on what source you put into it, and how high you put up the gain, and THEN engage the compressor!

On low noise sources/mics/instruments that require less gain (around the 0 marker on the knob, which is about 1/3 the way up) it's fine.
That is how quiet a few tube preamps I own are, it's a trade of for the warmth you loose the "theoretical low noise threshold" you get with solid state.

Heck no, I can't part with it Tom it's a keeper, you'll have to go over to Ebay and get your own for $100, that's what they go for all day on there, in fact I am going to get another one for a Bass DI for my rig in the event a bass player want's to chime in on an open mic set.
Plus, the two will look nice in the rack together....TWINS. :D

keep shinin

The old lates 90s Meeks are kinda noisy. Had that same unit and it is a bit noisy and gritty almost. I sold mine as I had a really hard time finding anything I liked it on. Though, that is me. I could see it being useful for certain things at times. I just didn’t use it enough to hang onto it.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Apr. 19 2010, 11:22 AM)

The old lates 90s Meeks are kinda noisy. Had that same unit and it is a bit noisy and gritty almost. I sold mine as I had a really hard time finding anything I liked it on. Though, that is me. I could see it being useful for certain things at times. I just didn't use it enough to hang onto it.

I use it to add warmth and signal strength to my Roland JV1010 synth sounds, but would probably use it in a pinch as a acoustic DI in a live situation .

keep shinin