HOw to synce up

MIDI devices…

OK I know most of you are probably tired of my many midi questions and I apologize for being
nuisance and a blockhead at times…

My question is regarding two specific Midi devices but it may apply to various other devices as well so the info could be helpful in the future for someone trying to do something similar.

The device names are this:

GNX4

and the:

Digitech S100

or possible the S200 (which ever one I can get cheap used right now)

The goal is to change guitar FX and vocal FX during a song hands and foot free via the CC# event program during playback of backing tracks that are all synced up already.

I am already doing this quiet successfully for guitar FX with the GNX4 but the problem arises introducing another device since many of the same CC# numbers are used.
I am assuming one could transmit the data from the same midi file (which also stores some drum patterns on channel 10) from the GNX4, but use a different channel to send the CC codes to the S100 via the midi out.

OR is another device needed?

Thanx in advance

EDIT# sorry wrong forum…MOds please move…:slight_smile:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

CC events are Continuous Controller event, such as volume and panning. Patch changes are usually handled via Program Change events, such as changing the sounds on synths. Are you changing patches or changing parameters within a single patch?

The modules need to be set to receive on a specific MIDI channel, then the sequence can have program changes CCs sent on just those channels.

Should be relatively easy, unless the modules are hard coded to use the same CC numbers and neither can be changed.

It appears the S100 has 99 programs (Reverbs, Delays, Multi-effects) to choose from.
You can select a midi channel for the S100 to monitor the program changes 1-99. Now you would have to correlate the program changes that the GNX4 uses with the program changes that the S100 uses. You may need some kind of external box that takes midi input and translates CC/GNX4 to CC/S100 to achieve simultaneous program changes at the appropriate time. I know you can do that in software (in a DAW with a plugin)
i.e Route your midi out CH-1 to another midi track CH-2 that has a midi cc converter plugin.
The plugins are available - I think under miditools or something like that.
So you would probably want the S100 to monitor the channel CH-2 that has the translated CC info. I’ve never actually tried this though.

Quote: (phoo @ Sep. 29 2009, 11:35 AM)

CC events are Continuous Controller event, such as volume and panning. Patch changes are usually handled via Program Change events, such as changing the sounds on synths. Are you changing patches or changing parameters within a single patch?

The modules need to be set to receive on a specific MIDI channel, then the sequence can have program changes CCs sent on just those channels.

Should be relatively easy, unless the modules are hard coded to use the same CC numbers and neither can be changed.

That makes sense and is what I am worried about, that both devices are hard coded, they are from the same manufacturer.

I asked over at the Digitech forum but few people there know even how to do what I am doing with the GNX4 let alone adding another device.

THe CC events change patches for both devices and the parameters of patches depending on what number or combination of numbers is sent at what time.

keep shinin

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 29 2009, 12:40 PM)

It appears the S100 has 99 programs (Reverbs, Delays, Multi-effects) to choose from.
You can select a midi channel for the S100 to monitor the program changes 1-99. Now you would have to correlate the program changes that the GNX4 uses with the program changes that the S100 uses. You may need some kind of external box that takes midi input and translates CC/GNX4 to CC/S100 to achieve simultaneous program changes at the appropriate time. I know you can do that in software (in a DAW with a plugin)
i.e Route your midi out CH-1 to another midi track CH-2 that has a midi cc converter plugin.
The plugins are available
- I think under miditools or something like that.
So you would probably want the S100 to monitor the channel CH-2 that has the translated CC info. I've never actually tried this though.

YEs that is what I am worried about, that i need another in between device like a mOTu? or controller?

I too think it is going to involve different channels and setting the second device to read a channel that no signals are being sent to the GNX4 for changes on.

THe didigtech faq site does not give specifics about what channel the S100 receives it's data on, but I do know I can store Midi files in a card on the GNX4 that contain various things on various channels that can be sent to other devices to play for example through a keyboard through the Midi out. (although I have not yet tried it) the GNX only plays what is on 10 through the drum machine, but passes the rest of the data on.

The end goal being hands and foot free FX for stage. (no midget behind the FX rack pressing buttons, or having to press petals during performance) that is the whole reason I bought the GNX4, not that I don't appreciate the amp sims, but nothing compares to the solid smooth warm crunch of an Ibanez Gem pumped out of a Mesa!

keep shinin

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/s100.pdf

Look on page 10 for instructions about how to set the receive MIDI channel.

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/GNX4/GNX4Manual.pdf (13 megs)

Page 106 has the how-to to set the receive MIDI channel.

Quote: (phoo @ Sep. 29 2009, 1:07 PM)

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/s100.pdf

Look on page 10 for instructions about how to set the receive MIDI channel.

OK I did read that yesterday but it did not sync in!

So it looks like it will work! YEA!

keep shinin