I'll never listen to Elvis the same way again

Well…there goes four or fiveum – maybe even eightum. :)

Funny thing about the departees, so many don’t even have to wait for Easter to rise from the grave. Others become re-incarnated as new ‘souls’.

Aside from natural attrition, the only ones who ever seem to stay permanently gone tend to be those who cannot tolerate people who hold different world views than their own.

There may be a metaphysical lesson in there somewhere. Instead of Sartre’s notion of heII being other people, maybe heII is us - if we take ourselves too seriously.

<!–QuoteBegin>

C’mon Ali - Latin 101

Singular - datum; plural - data
Singular - forum; plural - fora

Finally my parochial school experience comes in handy for something!

Very true Bill, and the example you gave (datum: that which is given) is second declension. And in the second declension, the plural accusative (i.e. the object) is indeed data.

However, forum is third declension, and in the plural accusative of the third declension, it is fores.

Ya shoulda stayed on for Latin 201! :p

:D

Wait! I got that wrong!

I fucked up. :(

The forum I was think about means “an entrance”, which is obviously not the meaning here.

The meaning of a marketplace is indeed 2nd declension.

My humblest, deepest and grovelingest apologies Bill. :D

Ali (crawling back to Latin 101, idiot’s section :()

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 05 2005,18:04)
Very true Bill, and the example you gave (datum: that which is given) is second declension. And in the second declension, the plural accusative (i.e. the object) is indeed data.

However, forum is third declension, and in the plural accusative of the third declension, it is fores.

Ya shoulda stayed on for Latin 201! :p

:D

Nine years of parochial school - you think Latin 101 is as far as I went - give me a break!

What you forget is that we are speaking here of English - in the derivative sense - not pure Latin. And in English, the plural of "forum" is "fora" (or forums for the uneducated masses).

As proof of this assertion, I offer you the opportinunity to search "fora" on any reputable dictionary site (such as www.m-w.com) versus searching "fores" on the same such site.

You will discover that my simplistic view of Latin derivation has, in fact, survived the translation to English whereas your elititist and purist view has fallen to the wayside. (It's a case of viaduct vs. via duct, I'm afraid. Sorry. A stronger man would have resisted.)

See above. :(

PS, for “elitist and purist”, try substituting “leg-pulling-ist”. :D

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 05 2005,20:06)
PS, for "elitist and purist", try substituting "leg-pulling-ist". :D

And very much appreciated for it, I'm sure.

One of the 'failings' of our American Cousins (and don't get me wrong - I love Americans) is that they seem to have lost the simple joy of 'pulling the mickey' from a mate. Brits have it in spades. We Canucks still have an appreciation of it.

True. We call it Shit-Stirring.

Quote (Willy @ Dec. 05 2005,21:21)
True. We call it Shit-Stirring.

Shit stirrer Willy? ???

Well, yeah, occasionally. :D

pretty good readin, here…

Anybody for cod tounges and blue potatoes? with pork scraps and onions… I got some left over… :O :laugh:

How about a big feed of corned beef and cabbage with boiled potatoes? One of the delicacies my Nova Scotian Mom used to prepare.

The local specialty where I live now is pig-tails. Yum-yum and you can actually feel your arteries hardening.

My father used to eat “Brains and Eggs”.

That I can do without. Good (as he said) or not (as I say).

<!–QuoteBegin>

My father used to eat “Brains and Eggs”.

That I can do without. Good (as he said) or not (as I say).

My dad used to love tongue sandwiches. (Pickled steer tongue).

I tried it a few times, it tasted nice, but could never figure out when to stop chewing. :(
Quote (Ali_G @ Dec. 09 2005,18:03)
My dad used to love tongue sandwiches. (Pickled steer tongue).

I tried it a few times, it tasted nice, but could never figure out when to stop chewing. :(

I had the same complaint about eating tongue - the texture is just so similiar to your own tongue that you can't be sure what you are biting until you chomp down - ouch!