I'm selling my Gibson Grabber on eBay

My Grabber on eBay, click here

Blessings, Terry

Now, Terry, why in the world do you avhe one of those anyway?

(kidding! )

:D

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 13 2004,16:07)
Now, Terry, why in the world do you avhe one of those anyway?

(kidding! )

:D

My first bass was a Gibson EB3 short scale. Bought it because I was switching to bass from guitar and it was easy to make the transition to. Problem was, I went through 5 bass amps trying to get a good tone out of it and just couldn't. I finally decided I was going to have to bite the bullet and go to a long scale bass. I started trying out various basses and going to concerts and listening to different bass players. I believe I went ot see Deep Purple, and KISS was on the Bill. I din't care much for them, but Geen Simmons was getting a huge sound out of his bass. When I got close enough to see, it turned out to be a Gibson Grabber. So for the next few weeks I searched until I found one at Guitar Center of Hollywood. I loved the way it played and sounded so I left the store with it. I still like the way it sounds, but I play in church and we play in flats all the time and 5 string basses are just so much easier to play in flats with. I just don't use the Grabber anymore and wanted to get it into the hands of someone who will appreciate it as much as I always have.

Blessings, Terry

Yes, they do have a sound, although they are as ugly as ugly gets, IMHO. :)

Awww…come on Tom. I think it looks pretty good. Gibby got a little carried away with HUGE pickgaurd…but other than that, I think it’s quite the handsome axe.

BTW…Terry, I agree 100% on the EB3 thing. Guy at church has one. Terrible, terrible tone for whatever reason…THUD…THUD…THUD…no “life” whatsoever.

TG

No, it’s just an objective matter of fact, it is simpy one ugly instrument, from headstock to heel. Not a matter of personal preference or taste or anything like that at all, it is a law of the universe laid down at the beginning of time that such a beast violates the laws of the aesthetic cannon.

:D :D :D

Sooooo…you should take it off Ebay and sell it to me for 1/2 price. that would be about 300 dollars right now. 7 bids already! :)

Lol Tom, :D

Funny, I looked at the other Grabbers for sale on eBay right now and they are pretty beat up. I forgot how a 30 year old instrument is supposed to look. I guess mine would’ve looked that way if I would have continued playing it all these years. I’ve seen brand new basses, in worse shape than mine, hanging in music stores. I sure hope whoever buys this appreciates that. I wish I hadn’t put it on a 7 day auction. The thought of losing this old friend is getting tougher each day. How weird is that?:O

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The more I look at the pics in my add, the more I want to buy it myself. :D

TG,

Yea, I went through an Acoustic 360B, a Fender 400PS, an Ampeg B25, an Ampeg V4B and an Ampeg SVT tuber and just couldn’t get a good sound out of that EB3. Jack Bruce used one for years but he didn’t really get a very good tone either. He was just an awesome player. Easy bass to play though. I always wondered if it could’ve been improved with different pups. There weren’t many choices available back then. I think if I owned one today, I’d sure try some out.

Blessings, Terry

Terry, you had some AMPS.

I have a rule: NEVER SELL AN INSTRUMENT. I once sold a Telecaster to fund a purchase and have been crying ever since… :(

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 14 2004,12:34)

I have a rule: NEVER SELL AN INSTRUMENT. I once sold a Telecaster to fund a purchase and have been crying ever since... :(

Yeah, I had to pray about this for while. There are a few guitars I've sold that I would love to have back. Like I said, I wish I hadn't made this a 7 day auction. It gets tougher each day.
I have to keep in mind that these are tools and I really don't have the desire to be a collector. I don't have the money, nor the space to do that right. I need to keep tools that I use and let the ones that I don't use go to someone who will. If I were a collector, I'd have to be nuts to sell this one given the shape that it's in.

Blessings, Terry

Just to prove that everyone has their own taste (and probably have everyone accuse me of sacrilege), I’ve always considered the Telecaster to be one of the ugliest guitars around, I mean just look at that headstock. I’ve also never played one that I liked the tone on, but that’s probably partly due to playing them through improper amps.

Speaking of regrets, I once had a Fender 16 channel powered mixer that was probably made in the 70’s. The poweramp finally went on it and I couldn’t get the transistors for it. It wasn’t any good for recording because it was fairly noisy. I got $200 credit towards a new/used Yamaha recording mixer that I love. Problem is that the old Fender had the best spring reverb in it that I’d ever heard, I just didn’t know it at the time. I figured I’d be able to get just as good of reverb out of a plugin. I found out about a year later that the store that gave me credit for it just wound up throwing it in the dumpster…

-soulpole

Sacrilege Blasphemy, Disrespect, Outrage!

:D :D :D

I ran into a money crunch one time and sold my beloved les paul on ebay. It is not pristine, as it HAS been played for the last 30 years. After the sale I decided I had made a mistake. I decided to contact the buyer and buy it back. Before I could, I got an email from him asking if he could change his mind!
Some things are “meant to be” I guess…

Peace,
-Ed

Quote (soulpole @ Oct. 14 2004,15:22)
Just to prove that everyone has their own taste (and probably have everyone accuse me of sacrilege), I've always considered the Telecaster to be one of the ugliest guitars around, I mean just look at that headstock. I've also never played one that I liked the tone on, but that's probably partly due to playing them through improper amps.

Speaking of regrets, I once had a Fender 16 channel powered mixer that was probably made in the 70's. The poweramp finally went on it and I couldn't get the transistors for it. It wasn't any good for recording because it was fairly noisy. I got $200 credit towards a new/used Yamaha recording mixer that I love. Problem is that the old Fender had the best spring reverb in it that I'd ever heard, I just didn't know it at the time. I figured I'd be able to get just as good of reverb out of a plugin. I found out about a year later that the store that gave me credit for it just wound up throwing it in the dumpster...

-soulpole

You're right. It's a matter of taste. I love the looks of a Tele and you don't just plug in a Tele and have it sound good. You have to "Play" a Tele. It will be honest with you and it won't hide any of your faults. That's a tough one at first, but it willl make you a better player, and reward you once you realize that tone is in your hands.

Blessings, Terry

A tele through a nice old fender on teh treble pickup really cranked - that is a NICE sound. Not for the faint of heart. :)

Led Zeppelin I - Tele and Supra Amp.

'Nuff said! :)

You can hear my Tele here.

“CMF Jam” and “Bush Funk Jam” is through a little Blues Junior and “Y B Blue?” is through a Behringer V-amp.

The bass line on “Y B Blue?” is played on my Grabber straight into a Mackie mixer.

Blessings, Terry

I have a rule: NEVER SELL AN INSTRUMENT. I once sold a Telecaster to fund a purchase and have been crying ever since... :(

When I was a teenager I had an old 1950's Burns Bass and ripped all the frets out of it, so I could sound like Jaco Pasturious. I never sounded like Jaco and I had difficulty giving the bass away with no frets, now they're worth a lot original with frets. I was a fool indeed!

Guy
Quote (Guy Boden @ Oct. 18 2004,10:31)

When I was a teenager I had an old 1950's Burns Bass and ripped all the frets out of it, so I could sound like Jaco Pasturious. I never sounded like Jaco and I had difficulty giving the bass away with no frets, now they're worth a lot original with frets. I was a fool indeed!

Guy

Yeah, if we could play "Should have"s we'd all be rich. :D

Just a little reminder to those who might be interested, the auction ends this evening.

Blessings, Terry

SOLD :D