I am using 3.3 version

should i bother to upgrade to 4.x?

I am using 3.3 version - and it really works wonderful on my laptop - extremely stable and there are no problems whatsoever.

But my curiousity makes me wonder if I am missing it but not upgrading to 4.x. Should I just be content and stick with 3.3? Are they any really nice features in 4.x that I can be using? Based on the release notes there doesn’t seem to be anything too exciting that I could be using.

never change a running system :D

Eyup!

I had a go with V4 a few weeks ago, but went back to 3.3 mainly because my PC (Pentium III 933) was not really man enough for the job.

Be warned if you decide to try it. 3.3 projects do not import well into V4, you will have to do quite a bit of work to get things running smoothly.

I don’t intend to upgrade until I have finished all existing projects and got myself a more powerful machine.

Steve

I went ahead and bought a licence key for 4.x shortly after it was out of the first beta, but I didn’t install it until I had installed the DAW I use today. (I actually had to go all the way and install 24 bit support, too - as an upgrade to the 4.x licence)

I have been very satisfied with both 3.3 and 4.x, but then, YMMV… 4.x is a bit more demanding, but runs well on a fast, stabilized system.

Like sinbad said, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

regards, Nils

As long as 3.3 works, keep it! When you buy a more demanding soundcard you maybe have to change but 3.3 is very easy in use and runs good. Since I have a more complicated soundcard and a 4.x version the computer runs slow and quits sometimes :p Enjoy 3.3 as long as you can :D

If you intend to collaborate with other users it might be worthwhile. I am on 3.3 but I do tracking for friends who purchased a more recent version. While they can import the tracks easily enough from 3.3 I cannot work on their mixes at all since the old version doesn’t know about the changes in the new version whereas the new version knows all about the old version.

I probably will not upgrade until after Vista (Microsoft’s new operating system for those who don’t follow these things) is released and I see how things are going with it. I suspect that we will need a more recent version if we want to use Vista because I believe that it changes the way audio is handled. Presumably the changes in the operating system will improve the handling of audio but I am taking a wait-and-see attitude myself.

Jim

Thanks for those responses.

I didn’t seem to expirence any issues that you have mentioned here as I updated and installed each build as Flavio posted them. I have several “networked” machines in the setup I have here… including dual-boot P-111’s and P-4 machines…

However, I had a Mainboard failure on the dual-boot P-4 intel machine recently… That is causeing me BIG-Time grief…

One P-111 machine is a dual-boot/Intel 800 mhz. 256 meg ram machine… with STA 2000 hardware and S/B 5.1 audio card… n-Track build 2090…

The other P-111 machine is an Intel 1.2 mhz. 256 meg ram with XP Home and S/B 5.1 and S/B 24-bit audio and n-Track 2099 installed…

The faulty machine is a Dual-boot Intel XP/'98SE 1.7 mhz 1gig ram with built-in audio S/B 5.1 and lexicon CORE-32 audio…

The issue I have is replacing the faulty mainboard… and getting '98SE to work asd the CORE-32 Desk… I’m working on IT… We’ll see…

All of these machines “Cross-Loaded” earlier sessions/versions of N-Track Projects, with No-Issues…

Bill…