I don't quite understant this

I mean, sports and violence?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Argentine hooligans export their expertise

BUENOS AIRES, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Argentina’s notorious football hooligans are selling their trouble-making expertise abroad, principally to Colombia and Mexico, a report in the sports daily Ole said Wednesday.

Ole quoted a government source as saying members of Argentina’s barras bravas - a hardcore groups of fans – had travelled to the two countries to meet supporters and organise conferences, charging for their advice in U.S. dollars.

The subject matter included terrace chants, the use of weapons and methods for extorting money from club directors and players.

The report said a leading fan from Mexico’s Pumas UNAM had twice visited Buenos Aires to obtain first hand experience of the methods used by the notorious Boca Juniors supporters club known as “La Doce” (The 12th man).

He stayed in a top five-star hotel and continued the exchange via e-mail after returning to Mexico, the report added.

Rafael Di Zeo, leader of La Doce, was quoted as saying: “As far as the world’s hooligans are concerned, La Doce is Harvard. They come here to learn.”

Argentina has a chronic hooliganism problem which played havoc with the Apertura championship in the second half of last year.

(Writing by Brian Homewood in Rio de Janeiro)

I assume I just don’t get it because I am a American kinda conservative.

I am stoooopid. Apparently.

Well, the inference doesn’t follow, Clark. Do the Venn diagram. :)

Hey! Just because American kids sit at home watching TV all day doesn’t mean everybody else should!

I mean, isn’t it much healthier if the kids get out in the fresh air, engage in healthy exercise, and slaughter each other?

Ok, seriously, football hooliganism seems to be a common feature of most countries that play the game. The USA is one of the few exceptions, probably because over there it’s only played by girls (of both sexes :D).

Ok, seriously again (I promise! :D)

In some countries, like Scotland and Denmark, the hooliganism is purely a domestic affair, and the international fans are generally fun loving and peaceful. Other nations, (England, most south american countries, etc.) tend to export their violence and the international fans are as bad as the local ones.

But gangs, and gang warfare, are universal, so the only question is; why do most countries combine gang warfare and football?

Well, some possible reasons…

Because football scarves etc. provide convenient gang ‘colours’.
Most teams are local, so that provides a focus for the local gang.
It’s a large social event, quite often the only large-scale social event of the week, so that gives an opportunity for young testosterone filled males to strut their stuff.
Games are usually on a Saturday after a hard week’s work, so it’s time to relax, get drunk and have fun.
Football is a very passionate game generating lots of tension and adrenalin in the fans, and that adrenalin has to be burned off somehow.
And, what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon?

So, you combine those local factors with rampant nationalism, and you get the big national crews led by Hitler wannabees and followed by losers who who have finally found a group who will accept them and their sad little lives. :)

PS

Oh yeah, and there is that ‘extortion’ thing too.

Teams are being banned from fixtures for the behaviour of their fans, and that costs the teams a lot of money.

So, it ain’t just violence for the fun of it anymore, but it’s also big money crime too.

Sports = bad
Guitars = good

GO PACKERS!

GO TOHELL!

EDIT: the above reads A LOT more crass than my intented wordplay, sorry.

Quote (Guest @ Feb. 15 2007,21:45)
Because football scarves etc. provide convenient gang ‘colours’.
Most teams are local, so that provides a focus for the local gang.
It’s a large social event, quite often the only large-scale social event of the week, so that gives an opportunity for young testosterone filled males to strut their stuff.
Games are usually on a Saturday after a hard week’s work, so it’s time to relax, get drunk and have fun.
Football is a very passionate game generating lots of tension and adrenalin in the fans, and that adrenalin has to be burned off somehow.
And, what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon?

Maybe...

But contrast it with hockey in Canada. Everything you say about footie applies to hockey -and then some- the way it's played in Canada yet hooliganism (is that a word?) is largely absent. I'm not saying that it never happens here but it's rare - we seem to leave our violence on the ice, where it belongs.

Yeah Bill, I was only tossing ideas out.

But, I don’t think ice hockey is on the same scale as football is it? Hampden Park used to hold anywhere from 100,000 to 120,000 fans every game. So a tiny portion of idiots still adds up to a lot.

But even at my small local club which rarely had gates in excess of 5,000, there was often trouble as rival gangs met up during and after the match.

But now Hampden is only 50,000 or so now that it’s all seating, and that seems to be another factor; when people are sitting instead of standing or wandering about, they seem less inclined to violence.

But rugby has stadiums almost as big as football stadiums, and fans are often drinking and standing, but rugby violence is almost unknown, (again, except on the field).

Perhaps that another part of the equation, when people watch violence, perhaps that satisfies the inner beast?

I dunno really, but anyway, football hooliganism has been going on for over a hundred years now, and the root causes are probably buried back there somewhere, but whatever the clubs and authorities do it to try stop the trouble, it seems it’s become too entrenched as part of our culture.

I’ll second the “Guitars” , all in favor…

Quote (YazMiester @ Feb. 16 2007,13:22)
I'll second the "Guitars" , all in favor..

Yup.

Pro sports and most college sports are not about the game or the players or even the fans. It's about the fans MONEY. I'll pay to watch a high school game, the rest can go piss up a rope.

D
Quote (teryeah @ Feb. 15 2007,22:46)
GO TOHELL!

EDIT: the above reads A LOT more crass than my intented wordplay, sorry.

me or the Packers?

None of you, see ‘wordplay’ bit above

I told you I am slow Teryeah! Well more old than slow maybe! :D

Slow = Old
Old = Slower than snails!
Yaz = Older than dirt this a.m., hehehe

Whatever happened to croquet?

Tea on the lawn, half an hour of polite conversation, a few hoops of refined gentility, then back indoors and beat the f*%k out of the servants! :laugh:

Quote (Guest @ Feb. 20 2007,12:27)
Whatever happened to croquet?

Tea on the lawn, half an hour of polite conversation, a few hoops of refined gentility, then back indoors and beat the f*%k out of the servants! :laugh:

Can't afford the servants nowadays :D

Only 'cos you’re a tight arsed jock Ian! :D

Quote (Guest @ Feb. 20 2007,14:00)
Only 'cos you're a tight arsed jock Ian! :D

I prefer to be known as a fiscally astute person of Gaelic persuasion :p