I found this interesting..........

anybody want to comment?

College Faculties Full of Liberals

Read and comment. Interesting stuff IMO.

TG

I saw this earlier today. No surpise there & nothing really to comment on.

I think it is fairly well established (can’t remember where I saw it - but there was a study done) that the higher one’s level of education the greater the likelihood of being liberal. So this really comes as no surprise.

Another study a while ago found that persons with more education are more likely to lean to the left. It was something like 50/50 at the batchelor degree level, and 60/40 at the masters level, 70/30 at doctorate and so on. These are not the actual figures, but reasonable approximations from my oh-so-fallible memory. But you get the gist of the article.

So it makes sense that professors teaching at university level would be more liberal.

Goes to show…the more you know.

.-=/gp=-.

Maybe the real question should be WHY is this so? Sl’pain it to me would you?

TG

Critical Thinking 101 :D

.-=gp=-.

That’s no help. ALL thinking is critical IMO.

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 29 2005,19:30)
Maybe the real question should be WHY is this so? Sl'pain it to me would you?

TG

I know its bad netiquette to quote yourself but I forgot to add one thing.... don't try the argument more educated = more "enlightened" crap. Because that's what it is. Crap.

TG
Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 29 2005,20:12)

TG

I know its bad netiquette to quote yourself but I forgot to add one thing.... don't try the argument more educated = more "enlightened" crap. Because that's what it is. Crap.

TG

TG, if you don't want to hear it, then why ask.

I can put the answer in guitar learning terms. When a new student comes in, they have an idea about what they want to learn. They think to themselves, "if I could only play that tune (rock or whatever), I would be happy and really good. So they get to the point where they CAN play the tune they originally thought was the end all be all of guitar and they realize that there is more to learn. Now, instead of the knowledge they thought they wanted to learn (the size of a peanut), they realize to get good, they need to learn enough knowledge to fill a room. So they learn that much. And now they realize that they need to learn enough to fill a small town to be good. So they learn it. And now, to be good, they need to learn enough to fill a state... and so on. At some point they realize that they will never really reach the end but that the journey is the whole point of learning and playing the guitar.

What is my point...

Ignorance is bliss and it is much easier not knowing and being happy with it then learning and realizing your limitations.

Having said that, I believe that most college professors are not half as smart as they think they are. But many have taken the time to look at the world from a viewpoint not seen in smalltown america. I think it is this larger viewpoint that drives many "scholars" to be more socially responsive and in turn democrats.

just my 2 cents,

Mike

PS.

In this very biased article you posted, was the following quote. "It's hard to see that these liberal views cut very deeply into the education of students. In fact, a number of studies show the core values that students bring into the university are not very much altered by being in college."

A statement like this assumes that the "liberal" teachers were going to corrupt the morals of the young. THe funny thing is that teachers are mostly very careful to be very moral in a student's presence. It has been my experience that teachers feel as though they have to be/act within very narrow constraints of high moral conduct. A very boring lot; the vast majority of them.

TG

T he real reason is that a true money grubbing conservative is anxious to get out in the world and make his mark, while the true liberal would rather stay in school so they can hang out with other liberals and talk shit about the evils of straight-white-men.

Becoming a teacher is simply not the goal of most conservative-thinking people (like I'm their spokeman or something!). As my brother (a teacher) says, "Those who can, do. And those who can't, teach." His words, not mine.

I'm going to school part time right now. Last semester I bit my lip through most of a Sociology class taught by a woman that spent the entire semester spewing about the evils of males of European descent. In one of the final papers, I pointed out that attitudes like hers were offensive and racist. I got a written apology.

This semester I enrolled in a US History class, I walked out after listening to the instructor rant about the evils of Republicans for a solid 20 minutes. I mean really, it's OK to have your opinions, but this is a History class for God's sake. Just give me names and dates and let me figure out the rest. Instead of teaching, they prefer to indoctrinate, which is not what I pay them to do.

Thanks John and Doc.

You guys are making valid points rather than “spewing” like Johns Sociology teacher. I appreciate an intelligent discussion versus rants and raves. This is all going somewhere. You guys remember all the crap that was flooding the media after the election? The stuff about how New Yorkers and other “enlightened” people (their words, NOT mine) were shocked and dismayed that Kerry lost and made all those STUPID, OFFENSIVE comments about how ignorant and backward middle America is? I really want to understand that mindset and that article I stumbled across just brought it back to mind.

Granted, there are TONS of apparently mindless sheep in my area (North Alabama) who really need protected from themselves because they ARE seemingly backward and ignorant of the world outside our area. Thats why I have screamed TERM LIMITS for so long. But there are lots of intelligent people around as well. Those blanket statements just serve to drive the wedge deeper. Bummer…

TG

Quote (nergle @ Mar. 29 2005,21:50)
That's no help. ALL thinking is critical IMO.

TG

I think, that we all need another beer TG. :D

(And yes, if I don't get one soon, the situation will be very critical indeed!)

Ali
LOL!

Make mine a Pepsi Ali! OK? Not that decaf stuff either.

TG
Quote (gtr4him @ Mar. 29 2005,21:01)
That's no help. ALL thinking is critical IMO.

Hence the problem.

Not all thinking is critical - 'think' about it and you'll realize that it is so.

Some may slam Academia:
"those who can do - do;
those who can't do - teach;
those who can't teach - teach gym."

But that pre-supposes a profit motive as the 'be all and end all' of existence.

Enlightened individuals know better.

In a similar light, why is it that “liberals” have the stereo type of no morals? The stereo type (at least in my mind) is of a hippie protesting a war or joining the peace core. I dunno, those seem like pretty moral exploits. This whole discussion is very funny to me, and usually goes no where because folks get into pointing out specs and ignoring logs if you know what I mean. Somehow there is a thought in the conservative circles that if you don’t have a religious (and sometimes specifically Christian, and only specific denominations at that) center, you are not moral. On the otherhand, you have lefties who fear all organized religion and say religious folks are mindless sheep full of hypocricy. Um, can we all agree that lying, stealing, cheating, and killing are bad? Um, I think that can be deduced from 100 different sources. So much for that argument either way.

However, I do agree with some of what has been said. The election showed, to me at least, that the more isolated you are from other ways of life (Ilive in Small Town USA with folks that look like me, eat like me, think like I do, go to my church, etc.) the more likely you are to be “conservative” in the best Fox News stereotypical sense. Where as the more exposed to other cultures (the Arabs cooking next door, the Haitians hanging their laundry out, the Somalis selling life insurance, the Greek Dance club) the more liberal folks tend to be. It all has to do with where a person’s reference is.

Why is it “conservatives” turn up their nose at a suggestion to get Indian food and the “liberals” are all for it? Now, I think these conservative/liberal labels are silly and stereoypes at best. There are plenty of righties who eat curry and lefties who won’t touch anything but pizza and hot dogs. The thing is, that tends to not be the norm if we look statiscally at things. The US is an island really and the comman man is ignorant to the world around them in many ways. In Europe/Asia, you hop in a car (or better a train), drive a few hours, and you are in a different country, period. France is not Spain, it is very obvious. But Ohio and Texas, well, they look a lot alike… Every corner has a McD’s, a Burger King, a Wal-Mart, etc. The average guy in the US does not have to put much effort into dealing with another culture, language, or mind set of the world.

The academic world tends to be much more diverse. That is what made America the economic power house that it is. We imported the best and brightest from all over the world to our universities and kept the best and brightest here to develop our industries. I don’t know of a major university where cultural diversity is not the norm. From this, I think folks have to learn that their morality is not everyone’s morality and the fact that they are not identical does not mean one cannot peacefully coexist. I have Muslim friends from Somalia who think it a terrible sin to have an interest bearing loan. My mortgate to them is a real moral dillemma. However, we realize that this does not affect our relationship to one another. I am not hurting them in any real way, they are not hurting me, we realize it really doesn;t matter int he scheme of things and we move on. Living in Smalltown USA, I don’t think folks have this exposure on a daily basis and have never really had to confront such things in their life in a substantial way. I don’t know if I am making any sense and hopefully am not stepping on any toes, but that’s how I see it from up here on Walton mountain.

I hear you Bubba. It’s too bad that MANY do not get this point you made…

<!–QuoteBegin>

However, we realize that this does not affect our relationship to one another. I am not hurting them in any real way, they are not hurting me, we realize it really doesn;t matter in the scheme of things and we move on.

I think all of us have WAY more in common than not. Some don’t get it…

TG

After being sober for several years now, I agree with Ali. But I need a really huge beer! Like keg size maybe.

[quote=Bubbagump,Mar. 30 2005,18:15][/quote]
<!–QuoteBegin>

In a similar light, why is it that “liberals” have the stereo type of no morals? The stereo type (at least in my mind) is of a hippie protesting a war or joining the peace core.

Stereotypes usually have some basis in reality: