I got a good giggle out of this...

If you can’t take the heat…

This is for all the Northerners who moved South.

Living In The South

Dear Diary:

May 30th:
Just moved to Birmingham… Now this is a city that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I’ve finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I’m turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn’t been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it’s kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat and humidity is taking longer that I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol’ sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Morgan (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Morgan had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $2,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles and shits. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

July 25th:
The wind sucks It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it’s hot as ####. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. $1,500 in #### house payments and we can’t even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

August 4th:
It’s 105 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85, but this freaking humidity makes the house feel like it’s about 95. Stupid repairman pissed in my pool. I hate this stupid city.

August 8th:
If another wise ass cracks, “Hot enough for you today?”, I’m going to strangle him. #### heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

August 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts and sat on the black leather seats in the ol’ car. I thought my ass was on fire. I lost two layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and ass. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.

August 10th:
The weather report might as well be a #### recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It’s been too hot to do anything for 2 #### months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn’t it ever rain in this #### desert?? Water rationing will be next,so might as well watch $1700 worth of cactus just dry up and blow into the #### pool. Even the cactus can’t live in this #### heat.

August 15th:
Welcome to ####!!! Temperature got to 105 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the #### windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and said, “Hot enough for you today?” My wife had to spend the $1500 house payment to bail me out of jail. Freaking South. What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??

:D :D

D

“And thats the way it is…” Walter Cronkite

cliff
:cool:
from sunny south florida

Last summer while crossing the country, I drove through a section of southwest Arizona that was at 123 degrees. When I reached Blythe CA that evening, it was still 117. The lady at the motel said, “This is nothing, you should have been here yesterday, twas 126 at this time of night.”.

While crossing that stretch of southwest Arizona, we spotted a few irrigated fields of vegetation (soybeans?). Anyway, it was mid-day and there were people working in the fields. I guess it was some of those illegal aliens stealing american jobs… :p Whoever they were should be given medals and $1000 an hour to do that work.

I don’t care if it was dry heat, 123 degrees is too #### hot.

Quote (DrGuitar @ Aug. 07 2006,23:41)
Last summer while crossing the country, I drove through a section of southwest Arizona that was at 123 degrees. When I reached Blythe CA that evening, it was still 117. The lady at the motel said, “This is nothing, you should have been here yesterday, twas 126 at this time of night.”.

While crossing that stretch of southwest Arizona, we spotted a few irrigated fields of vegetation (soybeans?). Anyway, it was mid-day and there were people working in the fields. I guess it was some of those illegal aliens stealing american jobs… :p Whoever they were should be given medals and $1000 an hour to do that work.

I don’t care if it was dry heat, 123 degrees is too #### hot.

Except that it’s not a dry heat anymore. The last several years the humidity which we used to have from August to October has extended itself and starts in May or June.

We lost several mature trees this year and several more the last few years. The grass is suffering and don’t you know bermuda grass is from Africa!

kf

Good thing there’s no such thing as global warming.

Sorry, I apologize, I just had to say that! :D

We lived in Little Rock for 4 years, when it hit 112 in the shade my canadian wife said “we’re leaving” and I quite agreed. Nice brown lawn, crunchy grass, huge A/C bills, too much sweat.

It’s 78 and partly sunny with a slight breeze here in Michigan today. :)

You got it DocG.

As I’m sure Kingfish will confirm, when the temp drops to 100 here, we put overcoats on and turn on the heating. :D

Just spent the last week in St Joe’s Hospital, as a spouse not as a patient. (Going back tonight after a change of clothes and some sleep, the nurses were threatening to have me fumigated! :laugh:)

It’s now a complete non smoking campus, so staff and visitors and patients have to take a ten minute walk to reach the city sidewalk for a smoke. And it’s just too dang hot. I had given up a year ago but now I feel the need again.

Anyway, in line with the Fasoft tradition, a complete change of subject… :)

How do you all feel about Living Wills?

We’ve both had long talks with the hospital priest and our own priest about them, but still can’t decide what to do.

The way I see it, you have to make a decision about something that might happen in the future. And the details of that something are unknown.

Sure, there’s lots of options on the form, but they don’t cover everything. Unable to communicate? What does that mean? too drunk?

The second option, a Medical Power of Attorney in which you assign the decision to someone else has its problems too. I can’t be nominated, or any other near family member, or anyone who might gain financially.

It really is a pisser and I’d be interested in hearing unprejudiced thoughts on the subject. So far we’ve only bin told the official Vatican line, and legal information from our attorney who talks a whole lot and says nothing.

What did the priests say?

KF

A living will is a must, IMO. The doctors will interpret it conservatively in any case, so that terms of art like “unable to communicate” will really require evidence that you are unable. And most states have statues governing the langauge, so that those terms of art actually have pretty well-defined meanings, as much as they can. What’s the alternative? Years as a vegetable, a financial and emotional drag on the family, court battles perhaps? Not for my family.

More or less the same thing, but I’m not sure I really understand it.

Suicide is a mortal sin, and if she does anything or I agree to anything that the church sees as assisted suicide, then we’re screwed, big time.

But, making a Living Will stops others from being forced to commit the mortal sin of murder.

And I see those two statements as contradictory. And they won’t give a straight answer to a straight question.

But I haven’t slept for 6 days, so I’ve probably got the whole thing wrong. :)

I agree with you TomS, or I should say, I did agree with you. But being faced with the immediate reallity, I don’t know anymore.

Quote (Guest @ Aug. 08 2006,03:06)
But being faced with the immediate reallity, I don't know anymore.

This is something that only you and your Priest can work out. Nothing I or anyone else could offer you in the way of advice could guarantee against committing a mortal sin as defined by your religion.

Go back to your Priest my man and good luck to you.

KF

Living wills don’t allow anyone to kill anyone - they specify the conditions under which treatment is refused by the patient. I am pretty certain that under Catholic ethics (you mentioned moral sins, so I’m making a leap) there is a right to refuse treatment. Refusal of treatment is not the same as suicide, assisted or otherwise, in the usual accounts.

Sounds like you are in a rough spot. You have my deepest hopes that all will be well.

Quote (TomS @ Aug. 08 2006,08:01)
Living wills don't allow anyone to kill anyone - they specify the conditions under which treatment is refused by the patient. I am pretty certain that under Catholic ethics (you mentioned moral sins, so I'm making a leap) there is a right to refuse treatment. Refusal of treatment is not the same as suicide, assisted or otherwise, in the usual accounts.

Sounds like you are in a rough spot. You have my deepest hopes that all will be well.

I agree with that Tom but Palooka needs to have these issues clarified by his Priest because they may look at it differently.

KF

Palooka, you should talk to your Priest as the others suggested IMO. I don’t know your beliefs so don’t be offended or anything at this advice; PRAY and seek wisdom and guidance. It’s what I would do in your shoes. I personally believe that God hears prayers directly and I believe he answers them. It may not be according to OUR wants and needs or what needs we percieve at the moment but I believe it works.

Good luck and God bless,

D – praying for Palooka and his situation…

Sweat does a body good, gets the poison and meaness you collect in yer body out! USA has become a nation of wimps!
Also sweating (actual physical labor) is the best diet plan for all you obese lard butts! :p

Praying for Palooka also!

Palooka, if it is any comfort, just remember that when the mortal sins were defined, that there were no such things as life prolonging measures. Life was short and it was deemed the most valuable thing on earth. Terminal illness was in those days exactly what it said, and probably quick. Without wanting to offend your beliefs, all religions are way out of date and their rules need to be considered under today’s reality. Deciding that you do not want to vegetate on a machine causing undue suffering to your loved ones is definitely not suicide! irrespective of what any church says.
Having said that, it is your decision to make and nobody, not even your priest can relieve you of that burden. Just remember that you are in a position to make that decision now, later could be too late, which is precisely why this option is so important. Good luck.

I agree with D about prayer being a good avenue to explore.
It is my belief that through the proper kind of prayer no such Will would be necessary at least in the immediate future. She will be healed and walk out of there.
What I mean by proper prayer is this. Not to ask the Lord, as a beggar, for something you are not worthy to receive. But to speak directly to the infirmity clothed in the Holy Spirit, with the authority of Christ, who’s permanent place in your heart assures you of the right to command a healing of you loved one.
Jesus said by Faith the woman was healed. It’s that kind of faith that is needed here. Enough faith to claim the healing in Jesus name, which will require a thank you for the the healing even as the prayer is spoken. No waiting to see what happens, no begging, no boubt, just faith. Worrying about the outcome will under mind such needed faith. Our savior paid the price for all our sins and our pain, and our infirmities, know that, and rest in His peace.
As far as mortal sin goes in relationship to the situation at hand.
In my study of the Levi tical law (which has been only brief) Thou Shalt Not Kill doesn’t add up to the same meaning our modern translation of the words has.
Kill actually refered to murder, consistent with our Premeditated Murder laws.
The Lord actually “killed” many people out of Mercy.
Take Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5 for example.
If you study that chapter you may find the Lord killed them before they could dive any deeper into sin. Some would disagree with that analogy but there is Mercy in death for some.

I agree wise council as described though out Proverbs is prudent in any life altering decision as this.
The Bible calls those who believe in God and keep His statues as wise.
And if such a person should have the Holy Spirit, being in their presence, your spirit will resonate that commonality. If your preist is such a person, than seek his council.
But there is one much wiser than he, should you not feel that resonance or confidence in him.
His name is Yeshua, and you have just as much right as the priest to seek Him and to receive His peace for your life challenges.
It’s important not to get rapped up in semantic and moral dilemmas but to seek God’s truth within yourself. I have full confidence in our Lord to complete the work he began on the Cross, in you and her.

Keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Thanks guys. :)

I’m printing out your posts and your prayers to show to my wife.

Meanwhile, I gotta go sink some beers.