I heard the icebergs singing...

:slight_smile:

Wav file here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content…oS1.wav

<!–QuoteBegin>

Singing Icebergs
Christian MĂĽller,1,2* Vera Schlindwein,2 Alfons Eckstaller,2 Heinrich Miller2
Sustained harmonic tremor signals were recorded by the seismographs of the German Neumayer Base seismological network in western Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica. These tremor episodes, lasting up to 16 hours, were recorded up to 820 kilometers from the source. Their spectra show narrow peaks with fundamental frequencies ranging from 0.5 to 6 hertz, more than 30 integer harmonic overtones, and frequency gliding, resembling volcanic tremor. Frequency-wave number analysis suggested a moving source, which was recognized as iceberg B-09A traveling along the coast of eastern Antarctica. The most probable tremor sources are fluid-flow-induced vibrations inside the iceberg’s tunnel/crevasse systems.

1 FIELAX Gesellschaft fĂĽr wissenschaftliche, Datenverarbeitung mbH, SchifferstraĂźe 10-14, 27568 Bremerhaven, Germany.
2 Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, ColumbusstraĂźe, 27568 Bremerhaven, Germany.

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: mueller@fielax.de

from: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/310/5752/1299

That’s actually the sound of ghosts. Make no mistake about it. FREAKY when you think about that way! :)

23 Megs??? Sheesh. Buggers don’t know when to shut up do they? EVERYBODY knows anything over 3 and 1/2 minutes ain’t gonna get no air-play…

D

Dial up sucks. :)

Yes, phoo, and notice that they studiously avoided mention of ectoplasm. Lousy scientists, I’d say! :)

It seems pretty obvious that the proposed theories for the sounds are totally incorrect.

Now, it’s a well known fact that the most important prey for icebergs, is penguins. A mature iceberg can consume its own weight in penguins in a single day.

And if you listen to the subsonic mating call of the emperor penguin, it’s remarkably like that which the icebergs produce.

So, it’s a lure.

Unsuspecting (but very horny) penguins are attracted, and, munchity crunch, bye-bye penguin.

It’s a perfect example of how evolution (or ID) enables the predator to catch the prey. :cool:

OOOHHHHHH…Penguin mating calls! No wonder I was so aroused after listening to this over and over for a good 10 hours straight. The fact that penguins can’t tell the sex of the other penguins until it’s almost too late isn’t lost on me. I’m just very glad it doesn’t happen in my human world…my wife would kill me, which of course would not be too unlike having my eyes or worse poked out by some mistaken-for-female-but-really-male Emperor penguin during the attempted mounting process. To which I say, “Dang you singing icebergs!”

Take off that tux, phoo. The mating call effects will be substantially reduced.