I know it's a shock...

Kerry changing his position. well color me surprised.

kudos for Comrade Clinton for at least sticking to her original position…

Sen. Clinton booed as she defended her Iraq stance
Sen. Kerry later indirectly criticized her for not renouncing her 2002 vote supporting war resolution.
Dan Balz, Washington Post
Last update: June 13, 2006 – 9:16 PM
Printer friendly E-mail this story Politics
Rove is off the legal hook, buoying White House

A campaign preview: Half empty or half full?

House members will get cost-of-living pay raise

Sen. Clinton booed as she defended her Iraq stance

DFL mayoral duo may be in line to take over for Pawlenty on WCCO
WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., drew boos and hisses from an audience of liberal activists Tuesday as she defended her opposition to a timetable for withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq, and later received an implicit rebuke from Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., for not saying that her support for the war was a mistake.
Clinton’s and Kerry’s appearances at the Take Back America conference put on vivid display the Democratic Party’s divisions over the foreign policy issue that dominates this year’s midterm elections, and the two possible 2008 presidential candidates offered a preview of the debate that could dominate the battle for the party’s nomination.

Clinton and Kerry both supported the 2002 congressional resolution authorizing the Iraq war. Kerry recently renounced that vote. Clinton has not, and she has become a target of passionate criticism from some party activists.

She won repeated applause through most of her speech, which dealt at length with domestic issues. But the audience turned against her when, in what she called a difficult conversation, she restated her longstanding position about timetables for withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq.

“I have to just say it,” she began. "I do not think it is a smart strategy either for the president to continue with his open-ended commitment … nor do I think it is smart strategy to set a date certain. I do not agree that that is in the best interest of our troops or our country."

Clinton finished on a more positive note, with an exhortation about winning the November elections that brought audience members to their feet cheering.

Later, Kerry delivered a fiery denunciation of the war and repeated his call for “a hard and fast deadline” for withdrawing troops.

“Let me say it plainly,” Kerry said. "It’s not enough to argue with the logistics or to argue about the details or the manner of the conflict’s execution or the failures of competence, as great as they are. It is essential to acknowledge that the war itself was a mistake."

Spokesman David Wade said Kerry’s remarks were not directed specifically at Clinton.

Kerry wants another shot at the big office. :)

Interesting quote:

<!–QuoteBegin>

“Let me say it plainly,” Kerry said. "It’s not enough to argue with the logistics or to argue about the details or the manner of the conflict’s execution or the failures of competence, as great as they are. It is essential to acknowledge that the war itself was a mistake."

IOW, Jo.Ke. can’t back up any specifics so he instead chooses to focus only an overall characterization that is purposely vague and negative. It’s somewhat akin to his lack of a specific platform when he ran for president. Just saying “I can do it better” doesn’t make it so.

So does Hillary…

just different tactics I guess.

Kerry ain’t the candidate for me, however, it’s a mistake to instinctively deride a person for changing their mind on something. The ability to realize you made a previous error of judgement, and the courage to admit it, is something to be admired.

A person without that ability has to go through life pretending that they were right about everything. A person without that courage isn’t fit to be in a position of public responsibility.

You wouldn’t say Winston Churchill was lacking in judgement or courage. Yet he changed his mind often and publicly.

some Churchill Quotes:

"In war as in life, it is often necessary when some cherished scheme has failed, to take up the best alternative open, and if so, it is folly not to work for it with all your might. "

“Eating words has never given me indigestion.”

“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they’ve tried everything else.”

“To improve is to change. To be perfect is to change often.”

Did Jo.Ke. actually exercise poor judgment and change his mind or is he just following the tide of perceived public opinion?? There’s not a whole lot of evidence that he thought much about the consequences of his vote to authorize the use of force.

I know Kerry gets beaten up by his opponents for his positions, but I’ve never had any reason to think he was anything but genuine about them.

those are great quotes, ky. “Eating words has never given me indigestion.” Awewome.

<!–QuoteBegin>

There’s not a whole lot of evidence that he thought much about the consequences of his vote to authorize the use of force.

There’s not a whole lot of evidence that anyone thought much about the consequences of their vote to authorize the use of force.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Did Jo.Ke. actually exercise poor judgment and change his mind or is he just following the tide of perceived public opinion??

Neither - there are more than two explanations. You’re smart enough - perhaps you can figure it out.

The Democrats are bound to do it again - leave themselves bloodied while trying to pick a candidate.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I know Kerry gets beaten up by his opponents for his positions, but I’ve never had any reason to think he was anything but genuine about them.

That’s right-wing spin & propaganda. The right-wing attacked Kerry for “lying” about being in Cambodia on XMas eve and they never stopped. Kerry allowed himself to be defined by the Swift Boat Vets for Lies and the Bush attack machine.