I Miss You

Danny Milligan - I Miss You

I DON’T miss you:laugh:

UJ

PS Take some of the FX off the vocal (crappy as it is) they make it WORSE!!!

The only effect on the vocal is reverb, and it’s the same effect on the original song. Trust me, I’ve heard the vocal without the reverb, and it’s better this way, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Then the original sucks too.

UJ

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 28 2010, 3:44 PM)

UJ

You still taking the medication UJ ? ???

I'll listen later Danny.

Hi dannyraymilligan:

Those are top Band Tracks… :agree:
I can relate to them…
:)
Their position in the mix causes no crowding…
You just have to get on some Producer’s/Label’s/A and R’s mailing list…
The more-the-better…
the faster-the-better…
That’s if you choose to musically go in that direction…

Those drum tracks, on your creations, are fitting together much better, lately…
In My Opinion…

You have a unique Voice…
Everyone has…

AND…

That’s good…
However, I’d like to be able to offer you some secret ingredient to add to it’s uniqueness… However and it’s my opinion (of course) that reverb tails, outside it’s envelope don’t help…
I wish I could suggest for you to try adding the exact same effects to your voice track(s) as you use on your electric guitar, fill track…

Bill…

Quote: (Mark A @ Dec. 28 2010, 12:15 AM)

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 28 2010, 3:44 PM)

UJ

You still taking the medication UJ ?
???

I'll listen later Danny.

After you listen to this... you'll want some too... :laugh:

UJ

UJ, you have the manners of a snapping turtle, did you know that?

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Dec. 28 2010, 9:52 AM)

Yep! What? You don't like honesty? :laugh:

UJ
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 28 2010, 10:03 AM)

UJ

BTW... My wife doesn't ask; "Do these pants make my butt look big?" any more. Spent a couple nights in the dog house but it was worth it because I don't get asked the "no correct answer" questions females always ask.

Honesty IS the best policy. :agree:

UJ

Down boy, UJ. Play nice.

I didn’t know this song so I Youtubed it and listened to the Boys2Men version and the Klymaxx version. Neither of which I particularly enjoyed. I think your version, Danny, is more interesting.

You have some nice musical ideas and guitar parts going on here. And sonically your mix has some good points.

However, I guess that if you put these things out here for comment then you expect us to comment; and of course it’s our nature to pick on the bits we don’t like - hence it sounds negative. You can then either to ignore those comments or act upon them.

Reverb. Rule of thumb. Mix until you think the reverb sounds right. Then grab that control and turn it down at least 25% 'cos tomorrow you’ll be thinking “what was I thinking?”. Reverb is like that.

Bill’s comments on the reverb tails are correct. Try a different reverb or lose some wetness. The vocal is pushed back way too far AND sounds like it’s at the end of a metal tube. (Of course that may be the effect you are going for).

Also, if you use the same reverb for all the instruments it can help to make them sound like they are all in the same room, and hence gell together.

Drums are better. A few little timing issues but going in the right direction. The shaker that’s panned hard right (if I’ve got these headphones on the right way round) is too distracting. The timing isn’t right or something.

Bass. You need to beg, steal, borrow a bass guitar. Or try some bass tracks using a bass Vsti or keyboard. I think that will give you a cleaner, more defined bottom end instead of that slightly “washy” feel. Even a 2nd hand Squier P-bass would be a good start and shouldn’t cost much second hand.

I quite like your vocals. I think you should ignore what you think about them and place them in their proper place in the mix. In this mix I can hear that you are pushing them back, whereas the guitars are big and bold.

Anyway, as ever, just my 2 cents.

Danny,

I think what UJ is trying to say (in albeit a somewhat crass fashion) is that you can do better.

If, that is the case I can agree, we all can do better, sometimes a little push helps, sometimes it just frustrates and already difficult situation…,

He has basically said the whole thing sucks, no amount of re-verb, mixing, or studio magic can fix sucktatude, so you either take that opinion for what it is worth and go back to the woodshed and start over (different key, different arrangement, different tempo etc etc)
or you feel strongly enough about the veracity of this idea in it’s current state and press on in fine tuning it. :agree:

When someone tells me a song sucks I take a big step back and try to listen for the sucktatude in it, sometimes I can find it (the problem, be it the wrong groove, key, tempo ) and fix it, or totally start over.
In the end once I have done a total revamp into a different direction I go back and listen to the original idea…and by then (yep you guessed it) it does suck in comparison.

dontcare

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 28 2010, 10:29 AM)

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 28 2010, 10:03 AM)

UJ

BTW... My wife doesn't ask; "Do these pants make my butt look big?" any more. Spent a couple nights in the dog house but it was worth it because I don't get asked the "no correct answer" questions females always ask.

Honesty IS the best policy.
:agree:

UJ

Honesty and fact aren't quite the same thing.
Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 28 2010, 1:33 PM)

Honesty and fact aren't quite the same thing.

How does "fact" apply here exactly? The enjoyment of the song is subjective to the listener.

FACT: I honestly did not enjoy the representation of this song.

^^ Worked 'em both in there... :laugh: ^^ I guess that works?

Seriously, I thought this forum was for critiques? If not, well excuse me.

UJ

If ya cain’t say sumpin’ good. Don’t say nuttin’ 'tall.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 28 2010, 2:09 PM)

If ya cain't say sumpin' good. Don't say nuttin' 'tall.

Hmmm...

Okay!

UJ

Your problem, UJ, is this: Instead of constructive criticism such as “Too much reverb, you sound like you’re singing from the bottom of the well” you come out with something like "this is the worst s*#t I’ve ever heard! You should sell your guitar and superglue your lips shut so that no one has to hear you!"

That’s not honesty, that’s having the manners of a snapping turtle. I’ve already addressed the reverb issue, and am looking at some other things before I re-upload the song. The problem is that YOUR kind of criticism makes people want to say "Screw it! Why should I even bother making music?"

To be completely honest, UJ, I went back and listened to some of the stuff you posted, and I just want to know ONE THING: Where do YOU have the right to throw any stones???

Or is it just easier to build yourself up by tearing others down?

LOL…

Danny, Danny, Danny… I assure you, you have never heard anything of mine. Where have you been? Never mind!

I’m sure Unknown Hinson; Unknown Hinson LINK is CRUSHED you don’t like his stuff. LOL

I DID give constructive criticism;

Quote:

PS Take some of the FX off the vocal (crappy as it is) they make it WORSE!!!

Now… I think I’ll take Poppa’s advice and plead the fifth. Too much Political Correctness here… You know the thing that is KILLING our society?

"Aww… now we know you’re special and unique darlin’… don’t listen to those mean ol’ people! Here’s a trophy and a pack of Hershey bars… go play XBox for a while…"

PHOOEY!

Keep at it Danny.
:agree:
I won’t pipe up again.

UJ - Anti-PC AZZHOLE!

The reverb thing is really true - do a mix, and then once you have the reverb where you think it should be, turn it down until you can’t really hear it any more. Why is that true? But it is true. And it is really hard to learn to lose the reverb, especially when you are mixing your own stuff. We used to mix every instrument with reverb, and then put it on the master too. Nothing like layers of spring reverb. Although there are some songs that work well that way. E.g., the whole of Big Star’s Sister Lovers album. But it’s depressing as hell.