I Miss You

Oh - also, I agree about the bass, although i know that’s come up before, but you can get a $100 special P bass copy that will work just fine these days.
I mostly use just that.
the brand is “Abilene.”
I think that’s Chinese for "Made in Indonesia."

Edit - just checked - used squires and OLP and Samicks and the like can be had for 5-75 bucks on the bay.

I’d also compress the voice a whole lot more, but I like compression.

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 29 2010, 2:44 PM)

Edit - just checked - used squires and OLP and Samicks and the like can be had for 5-75 bucks on the bay.

I had a really nice OLP bass a while back. Very nice copy of a 5 string Music Man. My buddy who has the real thing thought the OLP was a pretty close copy.
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Dec. 28 2010, 6:29 PM)

LOL...

I DID give constructive criticism;

Quote:

PS Take some of the FX off the vocal (crappy as it is) they make it WORSE!!!

Now... I think I'll take Poppa's advice and plead the fifth. Too much Political Correctness here... You know the thing that is KILLING our society?

"Aww... now we know you're special and unique darlin'... don't listen to those mean ol' people! Here's a trophy and a pack of Hershey bars... go play XBox for a while..."

PHOOEY!

Keep at it Danny.
:agree:
I won't pipe up again.

UJ - Anti-PC AZZHOLE!

It has nothing to do with political correctness, UJ. It has to do with POLITENESS: NOT WHAT YOU SAY, BUT HOW YOU SAY IT.

"Then the original sucks" "You'll need it (medicine) after you hear this"

Where was any of THAT necessary?

"Hey, lady, your kid has nice shoes. I don't know WHY you'd buy nice shoes for a Mongoloid, he's too stupid to know they're nice, but, hey, what the hell, right?"

You know, there used to be a time in our society when people were unfailingly polite to one another. It was called the Old West. If you said or did something jerky and uncalled for, you risked facing someone in the middle of a street with a gun in your hand.

Now, that might be considered a bit over-the-top, but you know what? People didn't have to lock their doors at night, their children were safe to walk down the street, and we didn't have PRISONS with the population of small cities. The decline of our culture began with the decline of good manners.

So you're right, Political Correctness is destroying our society, because people mistake it for SIMPLE DECENCY AND POLITENESS.

So, your first remark in this thread was constructive criticism, and I answered it with the fact that the reverb was actually an IMPROVEMENT over how my voice sounded, without it. Everything you said after that was a different story, altogether...

Okay, I changed the reverb from n-track default on the Hall setting to Classic Reverb with vocal ambient setting. Pulled the shaker off the percussion track, and made some slight structural changes in the drums in a few places. The timing issues in the bridge cannot be fixed, unfortunately, without completely redoing the song. I was following the original progression as I had learned it, thinking I could just “tap out” some drums to match, and it didn’t work as well as I had hoped. As far as the bass goes, I tried to follow Bill’s advice and keep my bass as simple as possible, and there are no effects on it either. The only other change I made was light strings in the background of the mix.

I uploaded the track over the old one, here’s the link to save you the trouble of going back to the first page of this post:

Danny Milligan - I Miss You (Updated)

Yep. I like this a lot more.

The vocals are much better without so much reverb. (And glad you removed the shaker).

I like the addition of the strings. Not sure all the notes are quite right but hey.

So, now what’s your vocal chain? ie what mic you got, what do you plug it into, what EQ etc do you use. I think if we can get your vocal to sit slightly better in the mix you’ll be on the right track (pun unintended).

Oh, and ignore UJ. He’s a nice guy… most of the time :D

Anyway, put more energy into discussing your mixes than his responses. We’ll take UJ’s ball over to the other part of the forum and play rough with him. :whistle:

Mark, I have to agree with you on the strings, but I don’t know if it’s that I played the wrong notes, or just timed them wrong, going in. (shrugs) I added them because I noted that, during the second part of the lead break, when my vocal “oohs” came in, suddenly that one little part of the song seemed more full than the rest. Since I didn’t want to “ooh” through the entire song, I had to choose between strings and an organ. I’ve been using organs entirely too much lately, and an organ didn’t quite seem to fit this song, anyway, so decided on a string quartet for this.

Vocal chain, hmmmm. Cheap microphone (I’ll eventually get a Shure, once I get to the point where I’m not living on peanut butter sandwiches). My mom gave it to me, and I think it actually is for one of those 100$ Walmart Karaoke machines, lol! I listen to some older songs I did, back when I was married and had a Shure, and the vocals seemed crisper, with less noise in them, so I know I’ve got to get another Shure.

EQ is flat going in, and then I do everything in the program. Just in the last few weeks, I have started drastically cutting the mids out with EQ, and it does seem to be an improvement, overall, from what I was doing before. I know it doesn’t make up for using a crappy microphone, but ya work with what ya got.

I usually do try to take UJ with a grain of salt, but when he turns molehills into mountains, it aggravates me. It seems like he looks for ONE THING WRONG in any song I do, and if he can find it, well, I’m just the worst musician who ever lived and I should go back to flipping burgers at McDonalds or something. Gets old, after awhile.

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Dec. 29 2010, 6:52 PM)

Vocal chain, hmmmm. Cheap microphone (I'll eventually get a Shure, once I get to the point where I'm not living on peanut butter sandwiches). My mom gave it to me, and I think it actually is for one of those 100$ Walmart Karaoke machines, lol! I listen to some older songs I did, back when I was married and had a Shure, and the vocals seemed crisper, with less noise in them, so I know I've got to get another Shure.

EQ is flat going in, and then I do everything in the program. Just in the last few weeks, I have started drastically cutting the mids out with EQ, and it does seem to be an improvement, overall, from what I was doing before. I know it doesn't make up for using a crappy microphone, but ya work with what ya got.

Ok, IMO the vocal is still a little harsh. What are you plugging the mic into? A preamp? or straight into your recording interface?

You might want to try some "character" effects. Why not try this... Whizz over to http://antress.er-webs.com/ and grab Modern Seventh Sign. Try adding a bit of compression from that. It adds distinct character to the signal so use carefully....

BTW, some of the cheap (eg MXL) large diaphragm condenser mics are much cheaper than a Shure (eg SM58) are probably better suited to studio vocal recording.

Mark, I really love that seventh sign comp, but I’ve not been using it carefully, I’ve been smashing it! Great fun.

It’s really tough to be the musicians tracker editor producer and all that is necessary to complete a project from start-to-finish…

We’ve all been there…
The minute you post you creation for critique you open the door to all aspects of your work-and-energy…

I like the shaker in parts and I like the wood block in parts…
BUT…
not to draw attention to their use…
The Producer’s roll is to decide when and how much to add to give the correct attention to mix of parts…

Boy…
That’s too much for me to know…
:)
:p
:laugh:
It’s not what you play…
as much as what you don’t play…

We all heard that in poppa willi’s…

Silent Night…

:laugh:

Anyway, keep up the good work…
:agree:

Bill…

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 30 2010, 4:35 AM)

Mark, I really love that seventh sign comp, but I've not been using it carefully, I've been smashing it!
Great fun.

It's a great plugin. I just want to overdo it I suppose.