I need a mic, quick and cheap?

What d’you reckon? (Bubba!?)

http://www.gear4music.com/Recordi…69F

TR, I’ve been using M-Audio gear since they were Midi-Man, and never been unhappy with it. That seems like a nice price when I convert it to $s in my head.

The trouble with inexpensive mics is usually in their QC, so give it some hard recording time while it’s under the shop warrantee, and make sure it’s what you want. It is well worth returning if it is not right, even at that price point!

Good luck!

'til next time;
Tony W

The AT 2020 is also worth a look. http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Condenser-Mic/6JL

I have one and find it very usuable. I also have a Rode NT1A which I think is a different (perhaps better, perhaps not) mic but your budget may not stretch to one (about
£135).

I’ve also had one of the MXL 909 mics. Very cheap but again very usuable. Sold it - but should’ve kept it.

As others will tell you it’s about finding the right mic for the right application (which is of little help when you only have budget for one mic!) so perhaps your question needs answering with another question Tony… what will you be using the mic for?

HTH

Mark

Hi TonyR:

I’d get the mic and set it up and do a track…
Compare it with the mic you used on the track you did before and make the monumental decision to keep it or try another one…
Being a spec freek don’t count when listening and comparing tracks… Well…

Bill…

Cheers guys.

Two very powerfull female vocals, each playing acoustic guit. Hoping to get it done over the Christmas hols. I’ve been building bass and drum tracks for the two songs planned.

Sorry to be a pain but I brought this up a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the sugestions were a bit out of reach at the mo’. As this is for a local music collective, I was hoping we might borrow one from other members but nothing has turned up yet - plus it’s time I had a reasonable voc mic.
I don’t have proper recording space yet http://www.flickr.com/photos/16937954@N06/sets/72157622365276523/ so it’s a case of evicting family and pets from the lounge for the session. I’d be grateful for any other tips. Cheers.

Not a permanent solution, but do you have any local music stores that rent equipment? For about the price of an inexpensive mic, you could rent a very good one for a day or two of recording. Maybe add a high-qual pre-amp to round out your sound?

Or get the nice M-Audio mic, and be prepared to do a little eq work to make up for any deficiencies in it. It should still get you a more accurate recorded sound than most dynamics, and be well worth the money.

I hope to hear the finished songs when you are done, ok?

'til later;
tony w

I assume this is a follow up to the post from a few weeks back. I am sure it will work… ideal… who knows. I still say focus on a dynamic mic in a less than ideal room. Maybe an Audix OM5 or SM58 if budget is super tight. Powerful singers doesn’t tell me much as timbre is much more what I would care about. Are we talking Tracy Chapman or Celine Dion or what?

Yes, sorry Bubba.
The main voc timbre isn’t too far from Tracy C but more folky. The other, a smoother, descant and a tad Elizabeth Frazer-ish. Both quite (very at times) loud. The result is an impressive, very tight, almost intimidating, beautiful racket that buzzes my right ear somewhere around a middle-ish G.

Cheers wynot. Wales isn’t festooned with music stores and we’re about 40mls from the nearest half decent one.
I use the web for practically everything and thought of this —
but!?
A friend has offered an AT con’ mic but I’m not yet sure of the model - if it proves to be crap, then I’ll have to stop farting around and by one. This side of Christmas! Could be my marriage on the line.
:laugh:

PS. Bubba. The 0M5 does look tempting.

With a limited budget and with that sort of vocals, I would likely skip an LDC. You might be better suited with an SM58 really.

Bubba! I’ve just clicked where you’re coming from, with a dynamic in a dodgy space.
You’re right - it isn’t ideal, any more than it is convenient;-)
But, it’s a good size (20X15ft), full of clutter with bare floorboads. Domestically good sounding.
I’ve actually just had a roumage around the loft and unearthed a Sure PE588 that hasn’t been used in years. I think I remember it being ok-ish for some stuff.
It’s looks like someone has used it as a club :laugh:

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 07 2009, 3:53 PM)

Bubba! I've just clicked where you're coming from, with a dynamic in a dodgy space.

You need more coffee. :p

I don’t know what the funk time it is there, but coffee, at this time o’ night!? It would ruin my life:-)
All I need is a couple more glasses o’ cider and it’s ‘beddy-byes’ for me :laugh:

I might just fire this mic up before I collapse… .

The dreaded unisphere B. Oh my.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Dec. 07 2009, 10:32 AM)

I assume this is a follow up to the post from a few weeks back. I am sure it will work... ideal... who knows. I still say focus on a dynamic mic in a less than ideal room. Maybe an Audix OM5 or SM58 if budget is super tight. Powerful singers doesn't tell me much as timbre is much more what I would care about. Are we talking Tracy Chapman or Celine Dion or what?

I was waiting to see where this conversation went.

I too am interested in doing some live recording. (on sight gig stuff)

I have the Shure Performance wireless series which has the SM58 however it seems pretty bassy to me, I guess it is a Shure so I shouldn't be skeptical, but I am not taking the CAD 8000 out to a gig, it just is not ideal for a room with other instruments (it picks up every squeak in the floor boards).

Which leads me to a few other preponderances.... concerning limiting or is it called impotence? anyway I think what I am trying to say is setting various mics to only record what is in from of them to reduce the amount of bleed over on live tracks.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Oops. The Sure Uni B works. But - it’s too squidgeeee