I NEED FREE PARTITION SOFTWAREPHOOKNOW OF A FREE O

MUST WORK ON NTFS

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A FREE OR OPEN SOURCE APP THAT WILL LET ME RESIZE MY C PARTITION?
I USED ONE THAT MADE MY C PARTITION TOO SMALL (22 GB) AND I WANT TO UNDO IT. I HAVE A USB MOUSE AND KB AND SOME APPS WON’T SUPPORT USB DEVICES. I CAN’T AFFORD $50 FOR SOMETHING I WILL ONLY USE ONCE!
TIA
DON :D

Try
http://www.zeleps.com/

Sorry - that doesn’t do NTFS resize

Hi Don:

I ran into an issue during this last rebuild…
I was unable to find a work-around to removing partitions that were written using Partition Magic…
I went to the Hard Drive’s Page and found a file that wrote Zero’s-and-One’s to the Drive to remove the Master Boot Record…
At Format Time…
It took me more than a month to discover a method to remove/fix the issue…
In the end…
it was the guys up here that got me headed in the right direction…
What a waste of time…
It seems like these Partition Utilities leave their Foot-Print at the Grass-Root Level on the Drives when you use them…
Then, it makes it hard to maintain/fix the drive without using that utility…
whatever it is…

After I got all that working I found that the Windows XP Install Disk has a partition utility on it…

Bill…

I have not used this but a quick google search had this link.
I hope it helps.
Here is the link.

Open Source Partitioning

Yup - linux is the way to go.
Burn this Live CD (link found here)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Then read this (careflully)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/pdf/Resizing.pdf

Should be OK (with NTFS resize)

Um, Windows does this natively. No need for anything fancy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

From the MS page referenced -

'Only the extension of data volumes is supported. System or boot volumes MAY be blocked from being extended, and you may receive the following error:
Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make sure the volume is valid for extending’

Being that it was C drive (system volume) - may be a no go.
Seems like it should be an easy thing to accomplish, but with MS
that’s rarely the case.
When I get some free time - I’m gonna try resizing a NTFS ‘C’ partition
(both increase, and shrink)to see if it can be done without to much headache.
I’ll post back here in the next couple of weeks.
(I’ll try the MS way too. Who knows it MAY work)

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Dec. 07 2008, 7:31 PM)

When I get some free time - I'm gonna try resizing a NTFS 'C' partition
(both increase, and shrink)to see if it can be done without to much headache.
I'll post back here in the next couple of weeks.
(I'll try the MS way too. Who knows it MAY work)

:D Good man! You deserve a 5.5 or 6. Maybe more when your testing is finalized. :agree:

BTW - what’s the benefit of using NTFS anyway?
I mean as far as music is concerned.

FAT32 only allows a single file size up to ~4GB. NTFS breaks that limit. Audio and much more to some degree, video file sizes can get rather large. Of course, many modern DAW apps allow splitting of wav files to exceed the limitations of a chosen disk format.

I think that’s right? Where’s Bubba or Phoo? They’ll know…

D

Much larger volumes and files are supported on NTFS. NTFS is also a much safer file system as it uses transaction logging and some other things to prevent data corruption.

IN the above, if diskpart does tell you to go jump in a lake on the extend (I haven’t seen it do this yet as I have only used it maybe twice, but in case it does) Knoppix has the ntfs-3g tools rolled in. That would be my suggestion as far as a Live distro to use. It has been my butt saver distro for years.

I know you asked for free, but if you decide to buy a suite of disk tools, I can highly recommend Acronis Disk Director. We have the entire Acronis suite at work and DD has more than payed for itself on many occasions as has Acronis TrueImage disk imaging software. I keep a bootable TryeImage CD at home for taking images of my DAW. If something wonky happens, forget the hours of reinstalling Windows and all your apps and stuff… Screw that! Just restore an image in about ten minutes… done. “Can you say ‘Life saver’ boys and girls? I thoughtcha’ could…” :laugh:

D