i need help with.... everythingI dunno.....

Hey all. I purchesed n track studio a long time ago and started doing some acoustic recordings. Pretty much just recorded through my computer mic and never really used and effects and stuff. It sounded ok but never great. I prety much just pressed record and got a genecric recording. Now i’ve accumulated alot of equipment:

my epiphone flamekat guitar
zoom g2.1u guitar pedal
shure 8800 mic
a basic casio keyboard
a yamaha dtxpress 3 electronic drum kit.

Not to mention a sound card upgrade and a friend hooked me up with some plugins. But now i wanna try and do a decent basic recording with n-track and get something that sounds together. I’ve tried recording but the vocals sound like they don’t go and some of the instruments are not blending well. I dunno what exactly i need help with but i know that i need help. So if anyone can give me pointers on anything with it ou=r tell me what to do to set it up or pretty much let me know anything. it would be a great help. Thanks
Bart

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’ve tried recording but the vocals sound like they don’t go and some of the instruments are not blending well. I dunno what exactly i need help with but i know that i need help. So if anyone can give me pointers on anything with it ou=r tell me what to do to set it up or pretty much let me know anything. it would be a great help. Thanks

That’s a big question Bart to which there is no simple answer. What you’ve got to do is to keep working at it. Record, listen, record, listen, record listen… and each time it will start to get better.

Gear and setup is only a small part of the equation - it’s mostly about ears and experience.

You could try posting a few songs so we could have a listen.

Also, we’ve answered this question before recently. Have a search on the Forum.

Sorry for a short “non-answer” but I’m out of time… gotta go to work.

Mark

Bart…I think the first thing you should tell us is how you are feeding everything into your PC. Are you going directly in through the LINE IN on your soundcard? (Don’t use MIC IN). Or are you plugging all into a mixer THEN into your computer?

Just let everyone know how you are doing what you are doing and you will get all sorts of help.

:cool:
cliff

yeah,post the tune-the folks here are a great resource.of course,there are many factors,but just some thoughts-maybe reverb(a little)would make everything sound more together.put it on aux 1 and add the amount needed to each track.mixing is a real art.it takes time,i’m just a beginner.you are trying to create the effect that all tracks occur simutaniously in the same space,it’s an illusion to some degree…judicious use of effects helps create the desired illusion.also,most people use compression on vocals,it takes awhile to master compression,it can do more harm than good,but it’s a valuable tool.a dry recording with no mixing will always sound bad(compaired)also,eq is important.this is where you make the instruments and voice blend together.again,practice,practice…with digital editing,you can do this all non-destructive-ly.so try it out,listen,if you don’t like,undo it…hope this points in the right direction…good luck-have fun