I really am a college graduate. :)

Ah, local politics…

http://www.mlive.com/opinion…as.html

Great Letter Mr. Spademan, but since when did Williamson ever do anything virtuous and morally uplifting or kept a promise to use his money for the betterment of the city?

Hm??

Quote:

Great Letter Mr. Spademan, but since when did Williamson ever do anything virtuous and morally uplifting or kept a promise to use his money for the betterment of the city?

didn't tom mention in the letter about the clean up that happened of the abandoned property?

Quote:

My neighborhood benefited from this when he sent his cleanup crew to take care of the yard of an abandoned house across the street.

is that the only thing, however? were there hookers and bribes and mafia doings?

Dear Mr. Spademan,

Having reviewed your letter I would like bring to order this point. Much as P.E.T.A., People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, attributes human qualities the lower order animals to garner sympathy for thier cause, so have you attributed ethics and morality, to a low order of human, the elected offical or politician.

Although all data at this time is anecdotal, it is a widely held belief this sub-order of human is incapable of ethical, moral thought and action.

“Ethical Theory” and politics? LOL… Tom, we should make 'em all attend your class BEFORE they are allowed to run for office. Oh wait… that’s where they get in trouble;

“Well Governor/Mayor/Congressman… I guess that’s theoretically ethical…” :laugh:

I bet that’s an interesting class to teach. :agree:

D

Quote:

Dear Mr. Spademan,

Having reviewed your letter I would like bring to order this point. Much as P.E.T.A., People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, attributes human qualities the lower order animals to garner sympathy for thier cause, so have you attributed ethics and morality, to a low order of human, the elected offical or politician.

Although all data at this time is anecdotal, it is a widely held belief this sub-order of human is incapable of ethical, moral thought and action.

ha!
:agree: The fact that you are a college teacher is much more impressive to me then the fact that you are a college grad!
Does your class know about 'cookiefingers'? *a gasping sound and hush covers the entire nTrack network as professor Spaderman considers his answer*
:cool: Do they know that your are a hip'wrangler of progressive songs and ideas?
??? lol

You guys crack me up entirely. :agree:

Other than that, “no comment” :laugh:

Quote:

"no comment"

Spoken like a true polertish'n.

When I first read this topic last night, I was tired, and decided I didn’t really have a comment to share. After sleeping on it, some questions did come to mind, but after coming back and reading more about your ex-mayor, I’m not sure I want to be his lone defender. Having said that,

I might as well continue.
???

My car breaks down, and I really can’t afford to put it in the shop. Fortunately for me, my neighbor, who happens to be a pretty fair shade tree mechanic, offers to supply the necessary labor free of charge if I buy the parts. Gladly, I accept his offer. It turns out to be a bigger job than he was expecting, and he suddenly has unforeseen financial and family problems, and decides he really does need to be paid for his work. I may not have a legal obligation to pay him, but I would definitely feel a moral obligation. Coming up with the money might be another story. Anyway, not having studied ethics and the law in any scholarly way, should I feel obligated, or is that just my religion acting up?

Quote:

Anyway, not having studied ethics and the law in any scholarly way, should I feel obligated, or is that just my religion acting up?

My "don't touch that with a ten-foot pole" sense is tingling... LOL...

Call it what you will Kev. I call it being a decent human being which is IMO, what Jesus was all about with his teachings.

It's like the example I gave my son;

The yahoo's that came up with all the sub-prime mortgage stuff plus the bank execs who seized the opportunity to bilk the system... Did they break any laws as set forth in the US legal system? Maybe not. Did they break common sense, decency laws as taught by the Bible? You darn tootin'...

D - ten foot pole may not be enough...

i think the most ethical thing to do (and i’m sure that Tom will back me on this) is to convince him that you’ll be able to pay for the work after completion. When he completes the work, take the car back and head to Florida fly-by-night style. make sure to bring plenty of adult diapers. any astronaut will tell you that.

Quote:

i think the most ethical thing to do (and i'm sure that Tom will back me on this) is to convince him that you'll be able to pay for the work after completion. When he completes the work, take the car back and head to Florida fly-by-night style. make sure to bring plenty of adult diapers. any astronaut will tell you that.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude - you need a weekly or daily “Ask JDET” topic!

:agree:

It’s simple Kevin - do what you think is right.

Quote:

It's simple Kevin - do what you think is right.

That's generally my approach to life. :agree: It was just a hypothetical question, in response to Tom's letter to the editor. I tend to analyze things in terms of how they could potentially apply to me, and since I have no plans to run for mayor, I had to change things up a bit.