I recorded over other track. How to delete?

just the new one…and it shuts down too

Now I’m in trouble indeed. I was trying to record “one more guitar” to a new track of a song.

I screwed up and recorded it to track 1 instead of to a new track.

So I lost my rhytm track, furthermore N-track shuts down whenever I try to play back the song.

When I scroll the first track it seems like the new wav and the old wav are positioned one over another (like it should, I just don’t use the feature) and I can reveal the orginal wav under the new one.

What I want to do is to get rid of the new wav over the old wav permanently - and try if the song would work.

Please help me out.

I don’t tend to use n-track like this but I think you should be OK. Since n-track generally works non destructively, it will have recorded your “one more guitar” track to a new wav but both the new and old track will appear as part of track 1.

You should be able to drag the new wav to a new blank track, or to delete the track an re-import it to a new blank track.

I generally have n-track setup to “record to new blank track” which circumvents this type of problem, and ALWAYS have it set to “ask for wave file name”. That way, if I screw up I can always find the wave on the disk and use it in a meaningful way (eg re-import to a new song).

As for your screwed up sng file - you may have to create a new song and import the wave files in.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mark

to move your top track click and drag while holding control. you MAY have to adjust the starting or ending point first so you can see part of the bottom track before you move the top one. Sometimes selecting the top one without seeing the bottom moves both.

as for playback crashing, try resetting to default preferences and then reconfiguring N how you like it.

Eyup!

If you can’t manually shift the track, try this method:

Before you open the .sng in NTrack rename one of the offending files.
When you try to open the .sng NTrack will complain it can’t find one of the .wav files.
Click the option to remove the reference to the missing file.
Manually import the .wav to a new track.

Steve

Good one Steve!

Quote (Mark A @ April 08 2006,12:46)
You should be able to drag the new wav to a new blank track, or to delete the track an re-import it to a new blank track.

I generally have n-track setup to “record to new blank track” which circumvents this type of problem, and ALWAYS have it set to “ask for wave file name”. That way, if I screw up I can always find the wave on the disk and use it in a meaningful way (eg re-import to a new song).

Thank you very very very much indeed. Moving the gtr track to the blank track sorted out the problem.

Actually, both problems. No lock ups or shut down anymore. Strangely enough, the crash was caused by the fact two wavs were at the same track. It should be possible (not that I needed such).

I too tend to record to “new blank track” but this time my finger slipped somehow…

<!–QuoteBegin>

As for your screwed up sng file - you may have to create a new song and import the wave files in.

I hurried to do that too, but luckily now I can work with the original.