I sold my Godin fellers... need opinions...

Humbucker equipped guitars…

The Godin is history… I’m looking for a two humbucker equipped axe. I had an Epi Les Paul Custom FT that I dearly loved for the price… gave it away. Anyway, I’m not especially looking to do the Les Paul “thing” again but I do want a single cut body style, hard-tail bridge/tail piece. Because of my budget ~800 bucks, I’m stuck with overseas built stuff. The models I have in mind are;

Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede - great reviews, can buy locally so I can play the guitar I buy. (Big plus IMO.)

PRS Singlecut SE - great reviews but I’m a stickler for intonation and I just don’t know how well that stop tail design they use is gonna work… ?

Epi Les Paul Ultra - been there, done that… but in the end, I do know the mid to upper end Epi’s are fine guitars for the money.

Thoughts? Opinions? I had a serious jonesin’ for a Reverend Double Agent or Buckshot for a while there. Decided I could get the “country-ish” tones well enough with me Strat. I DO however need a thick, Les Paul sounding axe…

Thanks,

D

PS These three are listed in my current order of preference…

Consider a real SG?

Thanks Poppa… but no SG’s. A friend had an SG and I played around with for quite a bit. Didn’t care for it. Don’t really know why? It played well and sounded okay… it just didn’t “do it” for me. shrug

D

man - that’s just guitarded

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 14 2008, 10:53 AM)

man - that's just guitarded

Yeah I know... sometimes an instrument just doesn't "speak" to me. I know it's goofy... but that's the way it is... My son needed that Les Paul I had worse than I did so I gave it to him. I loved that guitar. It "spoke". :)

D

You can get 2 Epi LP’s for 800 here.

I’m considering something like that Poppa. Then I’d have some cash left over to get the MIDI controller I’ve been wanting.

D

Didn’t you just buy a guitar? One thing you could do if the need is for you and not your clients; toggle it bassie and adjust tone on your amp.

Well, I traded for a Gretsch Pro-Jet. It doesn’t meet the requirements I need. A two bucker Paul type guitar is what I need. Something that will do the heavy when required and also do the screaming sustain forever solo stuff. My Strat with the bucker in the brdige does fair but it really sounds best on medium rock and blues stuff. The single coils do the country “thang” well enough.

I just went to our local store here in town… hmmph… junk. All they have is junk. They’re more concerned with selling cell phones. :disagree:

D

I need to pick up another paul myself one of these days, good luck with that. You could always just buy the parts and assemble it yourself, get what you want and save some. Just a thought.

Quote:

PRS Singlecut SE - great reviews but I'm a stickler for intonation and I just don't know how well that stop tail design they use is gonna work... ?

I have one of these, and i think it's great, esp. for the price, but your concern is valid - esp. way up high on the neck - it's one of those guitars where you have to adjust the intonation with you left hand while moving up and down the neck - I'd play one before buying - but they sound great...
Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 14 2008, 3:18 PM)

Quote:

PRS Singlecut SE - great reviews but I'm a stickler for intonation and I just don't know how well that stop tail design they use is gonna work... ?

I have one of these, and i think it's great, esp. for the price, but your concern is valid - esp. way up high on the neck - it's one of those guitars where you have to adjust the intonation with you left hand while moving up and down the neck - I'd play one before buying - but they sound great...

Thanks Tom. I'll play one before I buy but I'll probably drop it from the "short" list. The only way to get a fully adjustable bridge is to get the tremolo version and I just don't want that. (Picky S.O.B. ain't I?)

D

No, I wouldn’t go for the tremolo version.

You know what guitar I’m really liking, is my Taylor Electric.

Oh, I know what you should get: a Heritage.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/

I’m going to play a few of these.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/selectseries.html#

They meet my requirements, a bud of mine says they are great, good reviews AND… they have a bit of funky “weirdness” about them. Every doofus on the block ain’t going to whip one out at a jam party.

I am intrigued by their unique truss rod implementation and the composite material used for the finger board. My bud says they are thin, wide necks and the fingerboard has a nice slippery feel. I’ll play a few… maybe next week and see if one “speaks” to me.

D

PS Another cool thing… the Super Swede has a 25-1/2" scale for a ‘Fendery’ kind of feel with a bit more “snap” versus a 24-3/4" scale. We’ll see…

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 14 2008, 9:39 PM)

Oh, I know what you should get: a Heritage.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/

Did you miss the BUDGET part I mentioned? :laugh:

D

I slipped over to Huntsville today… “Err… boss? Yeah… ummm… my plotter is out of ink. I think I can pick some up over at Office Depot in Huntsville…” :laugh: ROADTRIP! and on the companies nickel too…

Anyway, the shop over there that carries Hags? They only had two models I would be remotely interested in, a Swede (Black) and a Super Swede (Flamed Maple Honey Burst) both with strings so corroded they were BLACK. They had them on a rack behind the counter. I shuffled around for almost ten minutes trying to get someones attention to get the Super Swede down so I could take a closer look. Nobody said a word. Just sat there… So I thought “Hey. You A-holes don’t want to sell a guitar? I’ll go find someone who DOES!” Gone… Hasta LaVista Bay-beee… GRRRR…

D

It wasn’t right around 4:20 by any chance was it?

Nope. I headed over there around 1300. I was back and plotting drawings at 1620… Why? Did something terrible happen in Huntsville at 1620? It WASN’T ME! It WASN’T ME!! :laugh:

D

you don’t know what 4:20 is - cool. :D