I took Poppa's Advice

Danny Milligan - (Slow Dancin’) Swaying To The Music

Poppa noted right off that my drums on the earlier version of this song I’d done (much earlier, like 2006, lol!) weren’t right. I’d never really liked the old song, but I couldn’t put my finger on what exactly the problem was.

Soooooo… today I redid the song from scratch. I tried to keep my original lead break, but that was done with a different guitar with much lower action, and there was a scale run that I couldn’t quite pull off on this instrument, so I did something slightly different for that part…

Hi dannyraymilligan:

Nice stuff…
Great Tracking and Post editing-and-production work…
:agree:
My ability to give it three thumb’s up leaves me by saying…

Could the Tempo (BPM’s) come down , just a little…
??? ?

I say that cause it feels somewhat rushed, in places…
Well, from start-to-finish…

Could be just the Bass Player commin out, in me…
:laugh:
Here’s the other

Bill…

You are right, Bill, it does sound slightly fast, now that I listen to it by the light of day. This might explain why I couldn’t nail that scale run, after 20 attempts at it, lol! Problem is, I can find no tool that will slightly slow the song down without introducing artifacts or changing the pitch, and I don’t have the energy to redo it completely from scratch (AGAIN!), so I’m going to let it stand as it is (at least for the time being).

-Danny

Good for you…
Stick to your guns…
:)

As an oldie Bass Player, and the many stages I worked on…
it was always the drummer and I that set the tempos for the songs on the play-lists…
We looked at each-oter and set the flavors that all the front guys worked from…
We considered we did O.K.
if we set the tempos on 70% of the night’s songs…
and they all let us alone that night…
However, that was only one-night-in-ten…
:)
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

Dude do you monitor yourself when you sing? FLAT FLAT FLAT…and FLAT. This is not a good song for your voice.

The distorted guitar doing the horn part sounds fairly good but rides on top of the mix instead of in, and later @ 1:57 it’s sound, while chording, is plastic-icky and does not fit. I like your clean tone on the lead, but at the end of 2 different phrases you finger slide either up or down the strings…you should have edited that out. It is distracting takes away from what is otherwise a nice lead.

Duff

Duffman, I’m sorry, but I don’t hear any flatness, perhaps my hearing is just not good enough, I am not sure. There were never any horns in the Johnny Rivers version of this song, it was done with a guitar, and the finger slides in the solo were deliberate, lol!