If there's a Mac version...

can a linux version be far behind?

Wouldn’t it be great to have n on a stable platform that doesn’t suck up half your memory? I would so love to be able to use n in an OS like freeBSD! It would be worth buying a new server and IO for that, I think.

Just a thought… :whistle:

'til next time;
tony w

That’s a beautiful avatar Tone :laugh: :agree:

I hear you wynot:

I’m just comming out of the year 19Hundredand98…

I’m trying to leave this P-111 behind in the dust…
I think it’s gonna happen…

Are you saying I’m gonna have to fire out all this new Windows stuff I just got.
????

:p
:laugh:

Tell me Gents…
What do you suppose all these Big A**'d Producers use to edit their tracks
????

Bill…

Quote:

What do you suppose all these Big A**'d Producers use to edit their tracks

ProTools - Win/Mac
Logic - Mac
Digital Performer - Mac
Cubase/Nuendo - Win/Mac
Sonar - Win

Probably pretty much in order of popularity... at least from what I read... Oh... and I don't think many even think about any version of Linux. You ever try to set up a PC Linux audio system? Good Lord what a freakin' nightmare. Linux audio is not ready for prime-time or even small time IMO. Too much time wasted trying to get and keep the machine running and most of the time you're using some hacked-up, half-baked I/O driver or shell program.

I don't have time for all that crap...

D

EDIT: How about a bug-free WINDOWS version before jumping into Mac OSX or Linux? Now THAT would be a treat... just sayin'...

EDIT II: I got a notification today that V6.0.4 is released as non-beta. Guys are still posting here about stuff that doesn't work along with various bugs. Come on...
Quote: (Diogesneez @ Apr. 18 2009, 7:07 AM)

[quote]...and I don't think many even think about any version of Linux. You ever try to set up a PC Linux audio system? Good Lord what a freakin' nightmare. Linux audio is not ready for prime-time or even small time IMO. Too much time wasted trying to get and keep the machine running and most of the time you're using some hacked-up, half-baked I/O driver or shell program.

I have to admit that Linux can be problematic for some things. OTOH, I have had linux (and, more on point, freeBSD, which is the underlying OS for Macs nowadays) up and running for years at a time with never a crash or hiccup, and I am no SysOp. I know M-Audio, among others, has been developing Linux drivers for their hardware for a while. Maybe if there were more demand there would be more stuff specifically for unix-style OSs.

Of course, it is still just speculation, barely worth putting on a wishlist - I've actually been quite happy with how XP has worked on my DAW since I was forced to get it for my DIGI001. Still unsure about Vista, but the wondrous latency numbers I have seen claimed for it make it interesting...

'til next time;
tw

Hi Tony,

A bunch of guys on the Reaper forum have it running really well under WINE with various interfaces… but man, you should see the hoops they had to jump through to get it working. I would love a lean, mean Linux DAW machine but I just don’t want to have to become a super Linux guru to make it happen. On my DAW, I hit the power button, pick the option to boot my “Audio Only” partition and I’m ready to go. Someday (maybe) Linux or some variant will be more mainstream and manufacturers will get on the hardware support bandwagon. Until then it’s Microsnot for me. XP until I absolutely have to switch although Win 7 is showing promise. That likely means Microsoft isn’t through screwing it up yet! :laugh:

D

PS I would like to reiterate my earlier comment though… Give users a bug free WINDOWS version of n-Track before releasing “New” versions and crossing platforms. It just makes better sense. I can’t recommend people check out n anymore and I get asked fairly often. Most people don’t want to wrestle with bugs and work-arounds so they end up elsewhere… shrug

I have nTrack, the non-professional license of Reaper, ProTools LE, and an older version of Cubase running here, and guess which one is bug free?

None of 'em.

Spend some time on the ProTools user forum - but put your blinders on if you are offended by extreme nasty language from folks describing how their system is working…

OTOH, all of them have things they do really well, and I try to use them synergystically. R is wonderful for practice and test sessions, n and Cubase both make working with virtual instruments simple, and PT is powerful as an editor. And people are making great sounding tracks with all of them…

'til later;
tony

Just curious - but can the synergy of all those proggies be realized with ReWire?
Can’t you do like a house drum track in one and ReWire it to another (poggie) that handles your VST’s better?

Quote: (wynot @ Apr. 19 2009, 9:38 AM)

I have nTrack, the non-professional license of Reaper, ProTools LE, and an older version of Cubase running here, and guess which one is bug free?

None of 'em.

Spend some time on the ProTools user forum - but put your blinders on if you are offended by extreme nasty language from folks describing how their system is working...

OTOH, all of them have things they do really well, and I try to use them synergystically. R is wonderful for practice and test sessions, n and Cubase both make working with virtual instruments simple, and PT is powerful as an editor. And people are making great sounding tracks with all of them...

'til later;
tony

I didn't mean to start an us versus them fiasco! :peace:

My own experiences are different but hey, welcome to the world of PC audio right?

It's just that n in it's current state is un-usable here for what I do. I also refuse to buy a license upgrade just so I can check out the newer builds of n-Track. Yes, that's the ONLY way to keep up! Buy a license. Nope. I won't give in to viral marketing. Not until all you guys start singing glory and praise here instead of posting comments about stuff that STILL doesn't work or doesn't work properly.

7 o' 11, I could never get n to ReWire worth a hoot... crash and burn every time. I have successfully ReWired Reaper to FL Studio and it works well but I usually just use the Fruity VSTi plugin which also works great in R. But ReWire n to Reaper? What the heck for? :whistle: Reaper does everything better IMO.

*sigh*

Flame away... I'm a big boy... I can take it.

D

lets get right to the bottom line then and talk about your momma :laugh:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Apr. 19 2009, 12:55 PM)

lets get right to the bottom line then and talk about your momma :laugh:

You be braver than me!! She's 75 and I betcha she can stomp bof'n of us... :laugh:

D
:laugh: I know better than to take on a southern gal!