If you believe in what you are doing...

…then why run away?

Why is it that most of the Republicans who are running for office this voting cycle are running away from Bush? If they truly believe in what they have voted for during their last few years in Washington, then why distance themselves from those policies? Even the supposed positives of the BUsh administration have been a smokescreen. You hear Bush (and crew) touting the economy as doing wonderfully. What a crock. After artifically raising the price of gas to almost $4 a gallon last summer and allowing record profits in the oil industry, the administration has released enough oil to artificially lower the price (temporarily) during the election. THis has in turn spurred a rally in the stock market. Yet the deficit is climbing at an alarming rate which points to a sick economy. In addition, good paying jobs have moved overseas leaving just low paying service jobs here in the states.

If the Republicans really believe in these policies, they should embrace them.

I believe the term for the current Republicans is “lack of integrity”.

:angry:

Nicely put, Dr. G

Yes - it’s nicely put but I believe the Democrats have done the same thing, e.g., look at the Clinton issue in 2000.

Well, my fears are coming true… the Dems are trying their level best to shoot themselves in the d@mn foot… Is there no sanity left in our “electorate”? Sheesh. I think a change is needed but which bunch of freakin’ IDIOTS do we choose from???

Why run away? The doofus’s want to stay in office and keep their gravy trains a rollin’… They’ve seen the polls and Dubya’s disapproval ratings and are runnin’ fer the hills! :D

D

Quote (DrGuitar @ Nov. 01 2006,09:40)
Why is it that most of the Republicans who are running for office this voting cycle are running away from Bush? If they truly believe in what they have voted for during their last few years in Washington, then why distance themselves from those policies? Even the supposed positives of the BUsh administration have been a smokescreen. You hear Bush (and crew) touting the economy as doing wonderfully. What a crock. After artifically raising the price of gas to almost $4 a gallon last summer and allowing record profits in the oil industry, the administration has released enough oil to artificially lower the price (temporarily) during the election. THis has in turn spurred a rally in the stock market. Yet the deficit is climbing at an alarming rate which points to a sick economy. In addition, good paying jobs have moved overseas leaving just low paying service jobs here in the states.

If the Republicans really believe in these policies, they should embrace them.

I believe the term for the current Republicans is "lack of integrity".

:angry:

Where is Nancy Pelosi? Harry Ried? Chuck Schumer? Rather silent in the week before the second Tuesday in November, don't you think?

Unlike Kerry, their handlers know that the democrat candidates across the country do not want to be associated with the Washington democrats agenda.

MHR

I’m not seeing any significant evidence that Republicans are running away from Bush. In fact the opposite seems to be true. Bush has been campaigning for Sherwood and Allen (Penna. and Virginia), plus he’s been in Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, Montana and Georgia this week for other Republicans.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m not seeing any significant evidence that Republicans are running away from Bush.

Only ksdb would say that. Come one, tell us it’s just a left-wing, liberal media made-up story. Of course, some Republicans are not running from Bush - the ones who are secure in the electorate or the ones that are stupid.

Bush is campaigning for Sherwood and Allen because they’re GOP seats that are in trouble. And Bush going to Texas, well that’s just a stupid statement - TX is as red as they go.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m not seeing any significant evidence that Republicans are running away from Bush.

They sure are out here in Washington. It’s appalling actually. None of them are saying in plain english where they stand. They are saying what they don’t stand for.

Mike McGavick sure is standing his distance, in a very left handed way.
http://www.mikemcgavick.com
Click the “When it comes to Iraq, It’s time to be decisive.” video. He’s pro war and supports Bush, but it’s not exactly clear the way he says it. If you really take what he says at the end it sounds like it’s time to poop or get off the pot, similar to the hawks during Vietnam. What does he REALLY mean? We should escalate to finally get it done? Is why not say that?

It’s not just McGavick…it’s almost all of the republicans running. This is a very blue state so to get elected they must be very middle of the road, or appear to be.

Even Rep. Dave Reichert was unsure about which party he’d be running under in the last election. He chose Republican because in the political atmosphere. Considering who the candidates he might be running against at the time it was calculated that he could more easily win as a Republican – much less competition and at the time he was a RINO, not too unlike the governator. The calculation paid off.

He was a good representative for the state the first few years, bucking the Repubs on many issues. That is now good for his chances of reelection. Later he started becoming more and more of a rubber stamp. It’s coming back to haunt him now, but he’ll probably still win since the Democrats still don’t have a good challenger.

I’m trying to take you guys seriously, but just using the first example brought up with McGavick, this is what I found within a minute of searching.

<!–QuoteBegin>

First lady stresses McGavick-Bush ties

By NEIL MODIE
P-I REPORTER

BELLEVUE – Although Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Mike McGavick has insisted he won’t be in lockstep with every Bush administration policy, first lady Laura Bush emphasized to a Bellevue audience Wednesday the issues on which he and the president agree.

rest of story at link

<!–QuoteBegin>
McGavick’s views echo those of Bush

By JOEL CONNELLY
P-I COLUMNIST

Despite a stump speech that promises “transparency” and “authenticity,” the campaign of Republican Senate hopeful Mike McGavick gets circumspect about his whereabouts.

rest of story at link

<!–QuoteBegin>
Bush & McGavick: Joined at the Hip
June 15 , 2006
By: Karl Frisch, DSCC

Democrats Issues “Rubberstamp Report” on McGavick in Advance of Presidential Visit to Washington
Tomorrow, George Bush will travel to the Seattle suburb of Medina to raise money for Washington Republicans. Mike McGavick won’t be there because of his son’s high school graduation in Pennsylvania, but he’ll certainly be there in spirit. He’s never hesitated to stand up for Bush’s policies or lean on Republican big-wigs to fund his campaign in the past. Democrats today criticized McGavick for racking in support from Bush and issued a report detailing his continued allegiance to the President’s policies.

Even the Democrats say McGavick isn’t running away from Bush

Dr G, kind of a silly, self-serving question isn’t it?

You asked it to get your little digs in. Well done. We are happy for ya…you can go back to feeling all smug and superior now!

Yup, you knew better in 2004. And 2000.

So, got answers? Are you running for office anywhere? Got something more than your perception of the economy to bring to the table?

I am all ears, cuz I admit, I don’t know. I don’t know what to do, which is why I gotta vote for someone.

Bitching does nothing. Action. Give me specific action.

Quote (clark_griswold @ Nov. 02 2006,13:37)
Dr G, kind of a silly, self-serving question isn't it?

You asked it to get your little digs in. Well done. We are happy for ya...you can go back to feeling all smug and superior now!

So, got answers? Are you running for office anywhere? Got something more than your perception of the economy to bring to the table?

I am all ears, cuz I admit, I don't know. I don't know what to do, which is why I gotta vote for someone.

Clark, I do have answers to many of today's problems, but since I am not running for office, it is pointless. If you have read some of my posts on the war in Iraq, the economy and energy, you would know my views. I don't really need to repeat them here.

But I guess you are offended by my perception and the perception of many blogs and news organizations that Republicans are putting distance between themselves and Bush. I know the diehard extremist right wingers like ksdb and Midget think that Bush is doing great, but the polls are against their perceptions and politicians believe in polls. Even Gore did not run away from Clinton policies; he just ran away from Clinton.

My real point is, "Why vote for policies and then run away from those policies when elections come around?" The Republicans cannot stand behind the current Iraq policy and instead are trying to sell hetrosexuality and the tax scheme that has bankrupted the US and given us one trillion in debt to China.

I hope the Republican smoke screen lifts for Americans in this election. And I hope Bush and his friends are finally held responsible for their corrupt, illegal and immoral actions (too many to list here).

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely...

Mike

Quote (DrGuitar @ Nov. 02 2006,14:52)
I know the diehard extremist right wingers like ksdb and Midget think that Bush is doing great, but the polls are against their perceptions and politicians believe in polls.

This statement is based on utter stupidity. All you’re looking for is a way to label and demonize anyone who doesn’t agree with your world view. I don’t think Bush is doing great. He has plenty of flaws (political and otherwise), but he’s not the pariah that you, Toker, Tom or others constantly make him out to be. I point out nonsense when it’s posted and your reaction is to call me a diehard extremist instead of dealing with the facts. Quite sad.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m trying to take you guys seriously, but just using the first example brought up with McGavick, this is what I found within a minute of searching.

Joe, you don’t live here and you aren’t seeing the local news here on a daily basis. The links you found actually point out what I was saying.

The first link (First lady stresses McGavick-Bush ties) is about a fundraiser with Laura Bush that was attended by about 500 people. It was a very closed door affair and got little news coverage. The very first sentence in the news article backs up the point I was making – “Although Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Mike McGavick has insisted he won’t be in lockstep with every Bush administration policy…” He’s gone out of his way to drive that point home time and time again.

The second link points out that there were two fundraisers in Washington, DC, for McGavick that were also closed door gatherings, and point out many places that Bush and McGavick have differing takes on things, but also many they see eye to eye. Likewise the first sentence says a lot – “Although Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Mike McGavick has insisted he won’t be in lockstep with every Bush administration policy” The whole article is pointing way that McGavick is indeed a Bushy and instep in spite of the campaign he’s bringing to the local public.

The third is from the DNCC. What do you expect them to say?

You’ve missed the point, Joe, and found some great examples to back up what I mean (except the third link from the DNCC, which is partisan politics at its best). For example – “Though McGavick has attempted to avoid taking a stand on George Bush’s Social Security privatization plan…” Partisan or not, why would they be saying McGavick is avoiding taking a stand? On that particular subject he had some text on his own site pointing out when privatizing SS would be a good idea in some cases. A quote was taken out of context and used by his opponents to say he was for privatization of SS as a blanket statement. Later on as a rebuttal he is seen in his own adds saying over and over that he is “not for privatization”. Why doesn’t he explain why he was for it in some cases, but his own words and in the proper context, instead of now making a blanket statement that he’s against it? By oversimplifying he is distancing himself from the Bush stance.
Quote (clark_griswold @ Nov. 02 2006,13:37)
Dr G, kind of a silly, self-serving question isn't it?

You asked it to get your little digs in. Well done. We are happy for ya...you can go back to feeling all smug and superior now!

I am all ears, cuz I admit, I don't know. I don't know what to do, which is why I gotta vote for someone.

Clark, I do have answers to many of today's problems, but since I am not running for office, it is pointless. If you have read some of my posts on the war in Iraq, the economy and energy, you would know my views. I don't really need to repeat them here.

But I guess you are offended by my perception and the perception of many blogs and news organizations that Republicans are putting distance between themselves and Bush. I know the diehard extremist right wingers like ksdb and Midget think that Bush is doing great, but the polls are against their perceptions and politicians believe in polls. Even Gore did not run away from Clinton policies; he just ran away from Clinton.

My real point is, "Why vote for policies and then run away from those policies when elections come around?" The Republicans cannot stand behind the current Iraq policy and instead are trying to sell hetrosexuality and the tax scheme that has bankrupted the US and given us one trillion in debt to China.

I hope the Republican smoke screen lifts for Americans in this election. And I hope Bush and his friends are finally held responsible for their corrupt, illegal and immoral actions (too many to list here).

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely...

Mike

Mike,

If you have answers, why aren't you running for something?
Quote (ksdb @ Nov. 02 2006,15:39)
I know the diehard extremist right wingers like ksdb and Midget think that Bush is doing great, but the polls are against their perceptions and politicians believe in polls.

This statement is based on utter stupidity. All you're looking for is a way to label and demonize anyone who doesn't agree with your world view. I don't think Bush is doing great. He has plenty of flaws (political and otherwise), but he's not the pariah that you, Toker, Tom or others constantly make him out to be. I point out nonsense when it's posted and your reaction is to call me a diehard extremist instead of dealing with the facts. Quite sad.

Wow ksdb, I must have hit a nerve.

It would be too easy to prove your statements as false ksdb, but to give you a chance to prove me wrong... how will you vote this election? Will you vote with conservatives Dick Armey and vote out the current Republicans in Washington? Or will you walk lockstep with GB (neocons) and vote the party line keeping everything as it is?

I (of course) don't really expect you will answer cause that would cause you to take a stand. I expect that you will take a side step and talk about something you believe you can twist into an argument.

I will tell you what is quite sad, Americans who claim to be "patriotic" yet vote for leaders who are consistantly eroding the very freedoms that America was built on. So again I will ask, "How will you vote ksdb?" Care to share?

:D

Quote (clark_griswold @ Nov. 02 2006,16:06)
Mike,

If you have answers, why aren’t you running for something?

This is not an easy question to answer. And much of the reason it is not easy to answer has to do with my personal view of how I want my life and my families’ life to be.

I would go into politics if I could be behind the scenes doing the work while others take the credit. I am a doer, not a talker. I have owned a few very successful businesses including a music school. I built my home with my own hands (carpentry, electrical, plumbing, concrete…etc). I build instruments (mostly fretted although there was that harp…) and computers (since the days of the Amiga). I am in the process of writing a 7 book series on music theory and the guitar.

These days, my life is built around my family and working for later in life needs. The public life of a politician is not really for me. I cannot bring myself to lie nor can I embrace half-truths and spins. This is why I find people like ksdb so hard to listen to. I also feel like “integrity” has become a bad word in politics. If you believe in what you are doing, then you need to stand by it. If you don’t believe in what you are doing, then you need to get out or change what you are doing so that you can take credit for it. If we could add honesty and integrity back into politics, we would definitely have a better system of government.

One more thing. I am not a democrat or republican. My views are about as centrist as you can get. I believe in small government. That means that I believe in low or no taxes (I am all for a flat sales tax on luxury items to replace income tax), I believe that the government has no business in peoples private lives (they should not be into your religious or sex life… period), I believe in fiscal responsibility (everyone in your family now owes $27,000 each to pay off the debt and it is going up still). These are core traditional Republican values. But I also believe in the government taking care of those who cannot care for themselves, promoting education and leading the way toward sustainable clean energy. These are core Democrat values.

For the life of me, I cannot tell you what Bush and his pals values are. If I had to guess, I would say they were for everyone following their (Bush’s evangelical Christian) religious values, allowing big business to run unencumbered by moral/ethical issues, spreading democracy around the world without regard to the people you are spreading democracy to and winning elections at all cost without regard to spreading obvious lies and half-truths (spins).

There is my story Clark. Is there a reason you do not feel called to public office?

:)
Mike

Quote (DrGuitar @ Nov. 02 2006,17:28)
Wow ksdb, I must have hit a nerve.

Namecalling tends not to win you friends, but then you knew that already. This is about the only thing you have any expertise at. Anything else is extremely doubtful like your OP, which again is countered easily by today’s news such as this clip from a story at CNN.com.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Despite unpopular war, Bush stumps hawkishly

President Bush launched a final drive Thursday to try to help Republicans maintain control of Congress, arguing that the United States must stay in Iraq despite the war’s unpopularity.

[clip]

Bush will travel to states where his presence might make a difference in turning out Republican voters over the remaining days until the elections, starting with stops in Montana, Nevada, Missouri, Iowa and Colorado.

If the Republican candidates are runnings away from him, why is Bush making so many stops to stump for them??

It would be too easy to prove your statements as false ksdb,

No, feel free to try proving me wrong for a change instead of simply labeling me over and over as an extremist or whining because I won’t waste time on dishonest hypothetical questions. That’s the lazy, easy thing you fall back on instead of coming up actual facts and rebuttal.

but to give you a chance to prove me wrong… how will you vote this election? Will you vote with conservatives Dick Armey and vote out the current Republicans in Washington? Or will you walk lockstep with GB (neocons) and vote the party line keeping everything as it is?

I’ll probably vote for the Republicans in my state because the Democrats offer no constructive alternative or solutions. Funny how you rely on the tactic of being a divider by arbitrarily labeling between the good Republicans and bad Republicans.

I (of course) don’t really expect you will answer cause that would cause you to take a stand. I expect that you will take a side step and talk about something you believe you can twist into an argument.

I take a stand all the time. You just don’t like the stand I take because it usually makes you look stupid. Well guess what, it’s happened again.

I will tell you what is quite sad, Americans who claim to be “patriotic” yet vote for leaders who are consistantly eroding the very freedoms that America was built on. So again I will ask, “How will you vote ksdb?” Care to share?

:D

What freedoms have you lost?? You certainly haven’t lost the right to express yourself, no matter how poorly you do it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

If the Republican candidates are runnings away from him, why is Bush making so many stops to stump for them??

Money?

Well come back, Joe.
Quote (DrGuitar @ Nov. 02 2006,17:56)
Quote (clark_griswold @ Nov. 02 2006,16:06)
Mike,

If you have answers, why aren't you running for something?

This is not an easy question to answer. And much of the reason it is not easy to answer has to do with my personal view of how I want my life and my families' life to be.

I would go into politics if I could be behind the scenes doing the work while others take the credit. I am a doer, not a talker. I have owned a few very successful businesses including a music school. I built my home with my own hands (carpentry, electrical, plumbing, concrete...etc). I build instruments (mostly fretted although there was that harp...) and computers (since the days of the Amiga). I am in the process of writing a 7 book series on music theory and the guitar.

These days, my life is built around my family and working for later in life needs. The public life of a politician is not really for me. I cannot bring myself to lie nor can I embrace half-truths and spins. This is why I find people like ksdb so hard to listen to. I also feel like "integrity" has become a bad word in politics. If you believe in what you are doing, then you need to stand by it. If you don't believe in what you are doing, then you need to get out or change what you are doing so that you can take credit for it. If we could add honesty and integrity back into politics, we would definitely have a better system of government.

One more thing. I am not a democrat or republican. My views are about as centrist as you can get. I believe in small government. That means that I believe in low or no taxes (I am all for a flat sales tax on luxury items to replace income tax), I believe that the government has no business in peoples private lives (they should not be into your religious or sex life... period), I believe in fiscal responsibility (everyone in your family now owes $27,000 each to pay off the debt and it is going up still). These are core traditional Republican values. But I also believe in the government taking care of those who cannot care for themselves, promoting education and leading the way toward sustainable clean energy. These are core Democrat values.

For the life of me, I cannot tell you what Bush and his pals values are. If I had to guess, I would say they were for everyone following their (Bush's evangelical Christian) religious values, allowing big business to run unencumbered by moral/ethical issues, spreading democracy around the world without regard to the people you are spreading democracy to and winning elections at all cost without regard to spreading obvious lies and half-truths (spins).

There is my story Clark. Is there a reason you do not feel called to public office?

:)
Mike

I actually do feel a call...and I probably will start at the local level when I hit 35. I don't feel I have answers to give at this point, I am still learning.

Thanks for the story.

Cheers,
C